Yz250F 2017 smells like burnt oil

AxelW
1/7/2019 8:01am
So as the title mentions I have a yz250f that smells like burnt engine oil. I changed the oil yesterday and it looked normal and it didn't seem like there was any missing (I always measure the amount that drains out). Rode it today and still had the smell. There is freeplay in the clutch so i don't think it's the clutch slipping. Anyone have a clue what it might be?
Thanks anyway.
|
dkurtd
1/7/2019 9:00am
How's your coolant level, is it full? Does it pump coolant out (is it getting hot)? How does the oil filter look, no metal in the filter? What brand/weight oil you running? How many hour's on the bike?
AxelW
1/7/2019 9:03am
dkurtd wrote:
How's your coolant level, is it full? Does it pump coolant out (is it getting hot)? How does the oil filter look, no metal in the...
How's your coolant level, is it full? Does it pump coolant out (is it getting hot)? How does the oil filter look, no metal in the filter? What brand/weight oil you running? How many hour's on the bike?
Coolant is fine and has stayed at the same level since I got it.Oil filter looks good. Bike has around 50 hours on it and I run yamalube 10-40 oil.
kb228
1/7/2019 9:29am
Your clutch would be the first place id look
dkurtd
1/7/2019 3:00pm
If you got the clutch hot enough to create the burnt oil smell then 99% of people would have noticed the clutch fade/slipping. If you toast a clutch the oil will typically smell burnt, did the oil that came out of it smell burnt? If the oil didn't smell burnt then my next question would be does it smoke at all. Is this something that came on all at once or has it progressively gotten worse?

The Shop

redduk
1/7/2019 4:31pm
We have three them a 16 and two 18s. All them have that oil smell when ridden hard. Its coming from the breather hose that comes off the head. They will also leak a little oil from the hose from the oil vapor condensing. Never had a problem mechanically from it, just a Yamaha thing.
AxelW
1/8/2019 6:52am
dkurtd wrote:
If you got the clutch hot enough to create the burnt oil smell then 99% of people would have noticed the clutch fade/slipping. If you toast...
If you got the clutch hot enough to create the burnt oil smell then 99% of people would have noticed the clutch fade/slipping. If you toast a clutch the oil will typically smell burnt, did the oil that came out of it smell burnt? If the oil didn't smell burnt then my next question would be does it smoke at all. Is this something that came on all at once or has it progressively gotten worse?
Oil didn't smell burnt. It has smelled like this once before around a month ago but i didn't think anything of it then until my friends mentioned that it smelled like oil on my last ride a couple of days ago. It will have white smoke when you first start it from cold but it goes away when it's warmed up. However if I open the throttle real fast when it's idling I can see some black smoke coming out right when you open the throttle but not if you hold it steady. Doesn't seem to smoke when you ride it but it's hard to tell ofc.
dkurtd
1/8/2019 8:39am
dkurtd wrote:
If you got the clutch hot enough to create the burnt oil smell then 99% of people would have noticed the clutch fade/slipping. If you toast...
AxelW wrote:
Oil didn't smell burnt. It has smelled like this once before around a month ago but i didn't think anything of it then until my friends...
Oil didn't smell burnt. It has smelled like this once before around a month ago but i didn't think anything of it then until my friends mentioned that it smelled like oil on my last ride a couple of days ago. It will have white smoke when you first start it from cold but it goes away when it's warmed up. However if I open the throttle real fast when it's idling I can see some black smoke coming out right when you open the throttle but not if you hold it steady. Doesn't seem to smoke when you ride it but it's hard to tell ofc.
More then likely it is what redduk said, you ride them hard and they get a little blowby and push hot oil out the breather, especially a motor that has 50 hours on it. As for the little white smoke upon start-up again a motor with 50hrs more then likely a valve guide seal leaking a little. The black smoke is pretty normal, just a little rich. I personally wouldn't worry about it, like redduck said he has had three and all have smelled after rode hard.
mxrider971
1/8/2019 9:25am
redduk wrote:
We have three them a 16 and two 18s. All them have that oil smell when ridden hard. Its coming from the breather hose that comes...
We have three them a 16 and two 18s. All them have that oil smell when ridden hard. Its coming from the breather hose that comes off the head. They will also leak a little oil from the hose from the oil vapor condensing. Never had a problem mechanically from it, just a Yamaha thing.
My 16 and 18 also did the same thing. Both made it 50+ hours no problem.

Post a reply to: Yz250F 2017 smells like burnt oil

The Latest