Yz250 false neutral

Blackjack31
I was racing today (woods racing) and in a field section I went to shift up and hit a false neutral. I shifted down and it was kind of hard to shift down. Well I was nervous about it so I left it in 3rd for as long as I could until I had to switch again. Once I switched again everything felt fine. I finished the race and went through all the gears and it has not done it again. Bottom end was rebuilt 21 hours ago and I looked over the transmission but no wear. Whenever I rebuilt it I had an issue with the 5th gear fork not transferring over to the opposing case because of a burr that was in the way. Once I removed the burr it shifted fine. Now this. What should I look for? I would like to not split the cases but obviously I will if I need to. Could this be from the shift paws being wore? I have read that. Also, it seems as though my shift shaft has a little more play than usual between shifts. Probably 1/2 an inch or so. Makes you think the shifter is loose but it’s not. Another thing, my basket has started to get grooves in it. Very small but it needs to be replaced. Could the false neutral be caused by the clutch slipping or something?
|
Blackjack31
9/21/2020 4:51pm
Nobody answered but I drained the oil today (2 race hours) and The magenetic drain plug had typical very small pieces but the oil that came out was kind of Greyish. I ran my fingers under it and it was clear but it had a bunch of speckles in it. Smaller than what the magnetic drain plug catches. You couldn’t see them coming out but if u had them on your fingers and had light shining then you could see them reflect. I’ve never checked oil with so much concentration so I don’t know if this is normal. Also, why is the oil greyish? It’s yamalube transmission oil. I put tusk clutch plates in, could it be from that?
9/21/2020 6:56pm
I'd say the gray oil is the plates. I saw that with Tusk plates.

My YZ did something similar last year and I couldn't find anything wrong just draining the oil and inspecting the shift parts, but it's never done it again, and hopefully it won't. It didn't false neutral, it just wouldn't shift. Just a one time thing and I don't know why.
Blackjack31
9/21/2020 6:59pm
I'd say the gray oil is the plates. I saw that with Tusk plates. My YZ did something similar last year and I couldn't find anything...
I'd say the gray oil is the plates. I saw that with Tusk plates.

My YZ did something similar last year and I couldn't find anything wrong just draining the oil and inspecting the shift parts, but it's never done it again, and hopefully it won't. It didn't false neutral, it just wouldn't shift. Just a one time thing and I don't know why.
Yamaha has a completely stupid way of making their transmission. Maybe something got in the way of the shift fork when it was going from one case to the other? Like some trash or metal debris. Idk. Going to put new oil in and possibly buy different plates. I was in a money bind when I bought tusk but I may put stock in.

The Shop

MX558
9/21/2020 7:42pm
Those tusk plates are shit . I tried them once and never again .
sandman768
9/22/2020 5:09am
Oem or Hinson clutch with 3 yz450 springs. I loved my yz250”s but the last 2 I had, could not make it through a full season without a full transmission o/haul. Mine would start slipping in/out of 5th gear. But all the gears & forks were junk when torn down.
Blackjack31
9/22/2020 5:18am
sandman768 wrote:
Oem or Hinson clutch with 3 yz450 springs. I loved my yz250”s but the last 2 I had, could not make it through a full season...
Oem or Hinson clutch with 3 yz450 springs. I loved my yz250”s but the last 2 I had, could not make it through a full season without a full transmission o/haul. Mine would start slipping in/out of 5th gear. But all the gears & forks were junk when torn down.
Yeah I love mine but this is the 2nd time something has went wrong with the transmission. Bike has around 120 hours total. I can’t imagine riding anything else though. If I do replace my transmission I may send it out to get polished or whatever. Just cost a lot.
GarrettL
9/25/2020 2:28pm
MX558 wrote:
Those tusk plates are shit . I tried them once and never again .
Complete garbage...steer clear.

Post a reply to: Yz250 false neutral

The Latest