Yz250 Head Pitting

Blackjack31
Edited Date/Time 12/24/2020 12:33am
Pulled my head off because the owner before raised the compression which has cause me to buy a lot of race gas and I’m tired of buying it and so I am planning to get my squish set for pump gas. There are some pitting marks alongside the intake side of my head. I have added a pic of my spark plug and my piston head (37 hours) for help of diagnosis. I also added a picture of the cylinder head that is not pitted.

|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/20/2020 6:55pm
Based on the color of your plug and the almost total coverage of carbon on the piston crown (in addition to the pitting from pinging) I'd say your jetting is on the lean side. My YZ250 is as crisp as you like and it has less carbon coverage than that, i.e. more piston wash from being richer.

Can you tell us your jetting, fuel, oil and ratio ?
Paul_Pitzonka
12/20/2020 7:13pm
piston crown shows it’s lean... Yz250s are known to detonate... As mentioned above you may be too lean on your fuel mixture, your jetting, or a combination of both...But normally the best ways to cure this problem is to have the squish corrected for pump gas or retard the timing a degree or two from stock spec...
Blackjack31
12/20/2020 7:37pm
180 main, 48 pilot, 3rd clip position. I’ve thought about going to 2nd clip position. 100LL aviation fuel, yamalube 32/1. And I will be having my squish set for pump gas. I’m taking my head tomorrow.
12/21/2020 2:42am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2020 2:52am
looks a hair lean..the outer edges of the squish band show signs of detonation..the wash looks OK.

I would have advised you to do a compression test before you pulled the head to see where your PSI is as well as a squish test to see how much space you are dealing with and advise you to remove material from the bowl as opposed to recessing the squish to get your octane with in spec for your needs..sometimes the squish is fine but the head needs less material in it to lower the comp ratio.

The main determining factor for detonation is oct vs comp ratio, squish plays a part in it, but your overall comp ratio is more responsible for deto than your squish clearance bc when your engine is under "load" this is where you can get into trouble fast...the YZ250 has (2) compression ratio's and depending on where you ride it in the powerband can determine how you should be dealing with the engine..trail ride vs mx so to speak.

A trapped volume test would have been able to tell you how many cc's you have when you piston is a tdc, this is the factor to use to determine how many cc's you want to change either way to get either lower or higher comp ratio.

I pushed the YZ250 to above 250 psi on VPC12 at about 1.2mm of squish and it ran great but many back and forth trips from the bench to the lathe to get the cc's right.

So the PO cut the head, you want to run pump, I say have the tuner lower the comp ratio of the head by removing material fro the bowl to get it right, leave the squish clearance alone. If this gets to difficult bc you need to know what you are at now vs what you want to be at, buy a new head, run pump gas, go ride. Just simply cutting into the squish band will make it worse.

Good luck- J

The Shop

12/21/2020 3:24am
Been dealing with this issue as well. If you compared your head cover to mine you would think your's was brand new Laughing . Curious to see how your's works out. Im a bit opposite from you on jetting as I have a 178 main and a 50 pilot. Just adjusted my float (which was very wrong) and put in an N3EW needle with the clip on the second position.

Good luck and keep us updated.

What year by the way? And what other parts?

(I'm not much help, but always trying to learn)
Blackjack31
12/21/2020 5:41am
looks a hair lean..the outer edges of the squish band show signs of detonation..the wash looks OK. I would have advised you to do a compression...
looks a hair lean..the outer edges of the squish band show signs of detonation..the wash looks OK.

I would have advised you to do a compression test before you pulled the head to see where your PSI is as well as a squish test to see how much space you are dealing with and advise you to remove material from the bowl as opposed to recessing the squish to get your octane with in spec for your needs..sometimes the squish is fine but the head needs less material in it to lower the comp ratio.

The main determining factor for detonation is oct vs comp ratio, squish plays a part in it, but your overall comp ratio is more responsible for deto than your squish clearance bc when your engine is under "load" this is where you can get into trouble fast...the YZ250 has (2) compression ratio's and depending on where you ride it in the powerband can determine how you should be dealing with the engine..trail ride vs mx so to speak.

A trapped volume test would have been able to tell you how many cc's you have when you piston is a tdc, this is the factor to use to determine how many cc's you want to change either way to get either lower or higher comp ratio.

I pushed the YZ250 to above 250 psi on VPC12 at about 1.2mm of squish and it ran great but many back and forth trips from the bench to the lathe to get the cc's right.

So the PO cut the head, you want to run pump, I say have the tuner lower the comp ratio of the head by removing material fro the bowl to get it right, leave the squish clearance alone. If this gets to difficult bc you need to know what you are at now vs what you want to be at, buy a new head, run pump gas, go ride. Just simply cutting into the squish band will make it worse.

Good luck- J

Thank you for the detailed write up. I meant to do a compression test but I had taken the pipe off and was to lazy to put it back on tbh. I’m taking it today and hopefully they can fix it because I don’t feel like waiting on a new head to come in.
Blackjack31
12/21/2020 5:45am
Been dealing with this issue as well. If you compared your head cover to mine you would think your's was brand new :laugh: . Curious to...
Been dealing with this issue as well. If you compared your head cover to mine you would think your's was brand new Laughing . Curious to see how your's works out. Im a bit opposite from you on jetting as I have a 178 main and a 50 pilot. Just adjusted my float (which was very wrong) and put in an N3EW needle with the clip on the second position.

Good luck and keep us updated.

What year by the way? And what other parts?

(I'm not much help, but always trying to learn)
2013 with FMF setup, v force reeds, and the motor work that was stated above. Compression raised and ported. I didn’t do the motor work. I would have chosen not to because of the race gas issue and the engine life. I think the porting does make it run smoother but it’s not worth it.
FWYT
12/21/2020 9:44am
looks a hair lean..the outer edges of the squish band show signs of detonation..the wash looks OK. I would have advised you to do a compression...

Good luck- J

What is meant by "the YZ250 has (2) compression ratio's"?
Paul_Pitzonka
12/21/2020 10:33am Edited Date/Time 12/21/2020 11:11am

Good luck- J

FWYT wrote:
Yamaha has used a couple different head chamber volumes over the years... 03-10 has a 21cc chamber, 02, and 2011 to current utilizes a 21.5cc chamber... I think 00-01 had a 22cc chamber? OP Correct the squish and retain you current volume it will be perfect... I should’ve clarified when I said cut the squish that you would need to retain your stock current volume...
12/21/2020 11:09am
FWYT wrote:
I think what Jbone meant with the "2 compression ratio" comment was based on the open and closed power valves. You have a higher ratio with the power valve closed and a lower one with them open. So depending on where you ride in the RPM range dictates which compression ratio you are running in.
12/21/2020 11:24am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2020 11:35am
2013 with FMF setup, v force reeds, and the motor work that was stated above. Compression raised and ported. I didn’t do the motor work. I...
2013 with FMF setup, v force reeds, and the motor work that was stated above. Compression raised and ported. I didn’t do the motor work. I would have chosen not to because of the race gas issue and the engine life. I think the porting does make it run smoother but it’s not worth it.
A properly done port job won't hurt the life of the engine, but a crappy head cut will kill one in an instant.

I cut a lot of YZ and YZX heads and I've long been a proponent of lowering the compression on the YZ. You can actually make more power with a lower compression and a tighter squish while still running good pump gas. On top of that you get a more controlled power delivery and longer engine life.
Blackjack31
12/21/2020 11:32am
A properly done port job won't hurt the life of the engine, but a crappy head cut will kill one in an instant. I cut a...
A properly done port job won't hurt the life of the engine, but a crappy head cut will kill one in an instant.

I cut a lot of YZ and YZX heads and I've long been a proponent of lowering the compression on the YZ. You can actually make more power with a lower compression and a tighter squish while still running good pump gas. On top of that you get a more controlled power delivery and longer engine life.
In regard to the engine life comment I’ve always been told a higher compression means a shorter life span. I had a bone stock yz250 that I felt fine putting 60-70 hours on but this bike makes me nervous around 40-50 hours. And I could be totally wrong but that’s just my thoughts on it.
12/21/2020 12:10pm
You're totally right. You can actually lean on a few other tuning factors when you lower the compression a bit and make more power with a better power spread while increasing engine life. The stock YZ engine is just about maxed out on usable compression for anything other than pro level arena cross.

If you are mainly into XC racing you really don't want more compression, you want less.
12/22/2020 8:50am
FWYT- "What is meant by "the YZ250 has (2) compression ratio's"? PV closed, PV open.

Mr. Robinson-"I think what Jbone meant with the "2 compression ratio" comment was based on the open and closed power valves. You have a higher ratio with the power valve closed and a lower one with them open. So depending on where you ride in the RPM range dictates which compression ratio you are running in." YUP!! I should have been more detailed and explain it but you did it for me lol. Also, based on your posts you definitely know your stuff.

Most of the mods I did on the YZ250 was to lower the cyl base by .020" to retard the port timing a bit and shift the hit a little lower..this also achieved a tighter squish clearance to about 1.1mm or so, around a 100 oct seemed good for this set up, a 50/50 cut of like vpc12 and 93 oct worked great and actually made better power with more pump gas in it.

For woods and lower rpm riding and to increase lower rpm riding, I would recommend doing to cyl base lowering with a stocker head and doing a port window clean up and then a small amount of epoxy work in the rear two transfer ports so the port windows appose each other and the fuel charge gets directed away from the exh port where it wants to go and across the piston crown where it cools the piston and gets used more efficiently for combustion. More Powah,,,(say it like you are from Boston).

Good luck!!
FWYT
12/22/2020 11:01am
Good info in this thread. Thank you!!
Blackjack31
12/22/2020 1:48pm
Bobby at Barr’s Competition got me fixed up. I’ll give you updates on how it runs with pump gas for anybody who is following this
Blackjack31
12/22/2020 7:30pm
While there are some knowledgeable people in here, could you quickly explain what detonation is? From my understanding it’s where the engine fires before reaching TDC. Like I said, it’s just what has been told to me and I have tried to look it up but I get 50 different explanations.
12/23/2020 2:53am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2020 12:55pm
In layman's terms, it is the un-controlled combustion of gases in the chamber at the wrong "time" in the engine cycle which causes engine damage including head pitting, piston crown deterioration, spark plug melting, etc...

If heard, (sometimes it is a silent killer), it has been described by riders as a "pipe bang" or engine knock.

It is caused by the octane rating of the engine as well we the compression ratio being out of balance with each other..so if your engine was designed and spec'd for 95 oct and your comp ratio is 8.5:1 which gives you a safe running condition and you raise the comp ratio to 10.5:1 but have the same oct of 95, your engine will start to not be able to control the combustion properly and the engine will fire and combust the gases, sometimes at the correct degree, after TDC.
When this happens wrongfully, the engine is firing with too much ignition advance and it basically starts to eat the metal around the combustion area due to heat..thats why you see the pitting. It is eroding the metal due to insufficient combustion and the explosive nature of fuel under pressure.

Raising the octane to be in balance with your comp ratio usually fixes it. I will write more on this later, I gotta run but squish plays a part in this as well bc if the squish clearance is too excessive, that can contribute to it.

J
12/23/2020 4:41am
I was going to try to explain and then read what JBone said. I think I shall keep my mouth closed hahah. Awesome explanation!!!!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/23/2020 9:50am
A more simple way to explain it, basically when the compression requirements exceed the octane of the fuel you are using, the heat of the compression alone becomes enough to ignite the fuel instead of the spark plug causing ignition. Normal ignition by the plug is "controlled" and the combustion travels smoothly across the dome of the piston in time with the travel of the piston as intended. Detonation or pre-ignition is an uncontrolled explosion and that is why you hear the knock or ping and it damages engine parts.
12/23/2020 12:54pm
FGR01 wrote:
A more simple way to explain it, basically when the compression requirements exceed the octane of the fuel you are using, the heat of the compression...
A more simple way to explain it, basically when the compression requirements exceed the octane of the fuel you are using, the heat of the compression alone becomes enough to ignite the fuel instead of the spark plug causing ignition. Normal ignition by the plug is "controlled" and the combustion travels smoothly across the dome of the piston in time with the travel of the piston as intended. Detonation or pre-ignition is an uncontrolled explosion and that is why you hear the knock or ping and it damages engine parts.
"A more simple way to explain it, basically when the compression requirements exceed the octane of the fuel you are using, the heat of the compression alone becomes enough to ignite the fuel instead of the spark plug causing ignition."

I used to think the same thing, however, detonation only occurs after the spark plug has fired, it needs an ignition source.

Detonation or pre-ignition is an uncontrolled explosion and that is why you hear the knock or ping and it damages engine parts.

I used to think the same thing, detonation and pre-ignition are two different things..

https://blog.edgeautosport.com/detonation-vs-pre-ignition

Post a reply to: Yz250 Head Pitting

The Latest