Yz125 exhaust bridge repair results?

TheTrackKid
Recently locked up a yz125. Sent it in to get looked at and replated and they found a crack in the bridge. Said they could weld it but it isn’t the most reliable solution. Any experience with welded bridges? Good? Bad?

Appreciate the insights
|
Rickyisms
7/14/2021 2:08pm
I'm pretty sure a lot of the Honda 2 strokes are prone to crack the bridge as well and most people have them welded.
TheTrackKid
7/14/2021 2:14pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I'm pretty sure a lot of the Honda 2 strokes are prone to crack the bridge as well and most people have them welded.
Correct! Cr’s and yz’s are the usual suspects. Just doesn’t inspire confidence when the place says in a round about way “we don’t like to do it but we will”.
rucka356
7/14/2021 4:16pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Correct! Cr’s and yz’s are the usual suspects. Just doesn’t inspire confidence when the place says in a round about way “we don’t like to do...
Correct! Cr’s and yz’s are the usual suspects. Just doesn’t inspire confidence when the place says in a round about way “we don’t like to do it but we will”.
Have you called Millenium Technologies? They do good work. Send them a pic and see what they say
7/15/2021 12:28am
I got my cylinder replated and locked it up immediately. The exhaust bridge had a small crack but my shop told me yz's will crack fast. I rode with that cylinder with a cracked exhaust bridge for about 10 hrs before i sold the bike.

If you will get your cylinder repaired ask if they can cut the exhaust bridge back so it wont lock up as easy again.

The Shop

PNWRider
7/15/2021 5:38am
Rickyisms wrote:
Correct! Cr’s and yz’s are the usual suspects. Just doesn’t inspire confidence when the place says in a round about way “we don’t like to do...
Millennium gave me essentially the same message-we can but it’s not ideal.

It seems like it’s best suited for bikes with cylinders that are NLA, as a method of salvaging the irreplaceable. Or if you want to have a spare on hand “just in case” that could get you through a weekend in a pinch.
TheTrackKid
7/15/2021 8:30am
Rickyisms wrote:
PNWRider wrote:
Millennium gave me essentially the same message-we can but it’s not ideal. It seems like it’s best suited for bikes with cylinders that are NLA, as...
Millennium gave me essentially the same message-we can but it’s not ideal.

It seems like it’s best suited for bikes with cylinders that are NLA, as a method of salvaging the irreplaceable. Or if you want to have a spare on hand “just in case” that could get you through a weekend in a pinch.
Agreed. It would basically become a back up to get me through a weekend/trip. Just sucks to settle on that when I just got a fresh bore and port job on it haha oh well. Life goes on. Appreciate the experiences guys.
b8res
7/16/2021 12:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2021 12:21pm
Mine let go last June, I've read where most of the exhaust bridge failures that are welded don't work.... order a brand new cylinder, start overs... less headache.

Mine was an 05, had hundreds of hours on the OEM cylinder, always ran OEM pistons and it finally cracked and seized. The cylinder look good for it's age and hours. I'm back to a "b" piston and on my 3rd one since the new cylinder, replace the piston at 25 hours regardless.
TheTrackKid
7/16/2021 1:46pm
b8res wrote:
Mine let go last June, I've read where most of the exhaust bridge failures that are welded don't work.... order a brand new cylinder, start overs...
Mine let go last June, I've read where most of the exhaust bridge failures that are welded don't work.... order a brand new cylinder, start overs... less headache.

Mine was an 05, had hundreds of hours on the OEM cylinder, always ran OEM pistons and it finally cracked and seized. The cylinder look good for it's age and hours. I'm back to a "b" piston and on my 3rd one since the new cylinder, replace the piston at 25 hours regardless.
Lodi? You must know the Cardiel’s?

That’s the consensus I’m gathering. I guess my fresh big bore and port n polish just became an overpriced paperweight…
b8res
7/16/2021 1:57pm
b8res wrote:
Mine let go last June, I've read where most of the exhaust bridge failures that are welded don't work.... order a brand new cylinder, start overs...

Lodi? You must know the Cardiel’s?

That’s the consensus I’m gathering. I guess my fresh big bore and port n polish just became an overpriced paperweight…
Ha!! Yes... paper weight... I have my old cylinder in a box, just a waste of time to send it in for repair. The OEM cylinders not crazy money and when you factor in the shipping, repair, piston.... your within 50-100 of a brand new jug!

Yeap... I know TC5, he ride with us in the OTHG...

7/16/2021 1:57pm
Yes it is well known for CR to have a cracked bridge. I bought one that had it repaired. Did maybe 40h and it cracked again. I suspect that is was probably cracked for a couple hours before I noticed it. I got it repaired again and have done 5 hours or so since then.

Post a reply to: Yz125 exhaust bridge repair results?

The Latest