Yz Plug Reading

jordon372
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 8:24pm
Had a question about this spark plug reading.

Yz 250 with mild porting and head milled for 110. Carb is bored a little and has rifling done to it.

Running straight c12 with k2 at 32:1 track riding. Fmf fatty with power core 2. Boyesen rad valve with brand new reeds and no spacer.

Has a bog/hesitation on the bottom then it’s a light switch. Absolutely no bottom end.

Current jetting is:

JD Blue needle 2nd clip position
180 main
50 Pilot

Richening the needle to the blue needle in the 3rd position gave me a big at half-ish throttle bog. I thought this was a lean bog but richening seems to make it worse.

Half the plug is a light brown and the other half is black after 20 minute moto. Is this a timing issue I am battling?

|
Paw Paw 271
3/2/2020 7:12pm
Are you sure the plug is not wet due to oil? Leaking crank seal?
Overall the plug looks a bit dark indicating it is rich, but is it oil or fuel rich?
Keep in mind that race fuel burns slower and thus can make the plug reading show rich as a result.

Paw Paw
jordon372
3/2/2020 7:43pm
Are you sure the plug is not wet due to oil? Leaking crank seal? Overall the plug looks a bit dark indicating it is rich, but...
Are you sure the plug is not wet due to oil? Leaking crank seal?
Overall the plug looks a bit dark indicating it is rich, but is it oil or fuel rich?
Keep in mind that race fuel burns slower and thus can make the plug reading show rich as a result.

Paw Paw
I bought the motor off of a member on here with what was said to have only an hour of runtime after full rebuild so I would hope the crank seals would be in good shape but I am not 100% sure that they are good. I have only put about 2 hours on the motor since then. How would I test for bad crank seals? Leak down?

I ran my previous motor at 40:1 with a head that was milled for pump gas riding motocross and it ran perfect. I haven’t had to run race gas before and the previous owner said to run it straight and they ran 32:1 so I went with that route so this is all new to me as well as chasing jetting haha.
DynoDan22
3/2/2020 9:10pm
That plug is showing rich and not even enough heat to burn oil on the metal around the thread base. A 180 main seems a little rich but it seems you have problems more in the needle/pilot area. The bored carb will affect jetting which technically would need richer jets but not always. There's a lot going on here. Did you mix and match motors with a different year chassis/CDI? Was this bored carb run on you bike before when you said it ran fine or was it a stock carb? Just trying to get the big picture sonwe can help. Did you check the powervalve function of the new motor before you installed the motor?
jordon372
3/2/2020 9:36pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
That plug is showing rich and not even enough heat to burn oil on the metal around the thread base. A 180 main seems a little...
That plug is showing rich and not even enough heat to burn oil on the metal around the thread base. A 180 main seems a little rich but it seems you have problems more in the needle/pilot area. The bored carb will affect jetting which technically would need richer jets but not always. There's a lot going on here. Did you mix and match motors with a different year chassis/CDI? Was this bored carb run on you bike before when you said it ran fine or was it a stock carb? Just trying to get the big picture sonwe can help. Did you check the powervalve function of the new motor before you installed the motor?
The motor that I am running now I purchased with the electronics and bored carb. I am not 100% sure that this is the appropriate year cdi but I think it should be.

The only thing that I changed since I got the motor was adding the JD needle from the stock N3EW needle but I left the same 180 main and haven’t touched the pilot. (I will check what size the pilot is tomorrow).

I pulled off the head to replace the o rings on the cylinder and the power valve functioned at the linkage but I am not sure if that is enough to tell if it is functioning properly.

The motor that ran fine before was the motor that came in the bike but that turned into a basket case.

The Shop

jordon372
3/3/2020 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 6:01pm
Changed the pilot from a 50 to a 45. Seems a little better but don’t have the opportunity to ride it.

Also used a butane torch around the intake area to check for an air leak and didn’t hear any change in idle.

Not sure how to check main seals for leaks.
DynoDan22
3/3/2020 8:24pm
Is it possible to throw the old carb on and run it the exact way it was jetted when the bike ran well last? You could eliminate one variable (carb).

Post a reply to: Yz Plug Reading

The Latest