Yamaha YZ250F 2019, Mods, Tips and more?

Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 3:49am
Hi, im picking up this bike in the end of the month, do you guys have any tips for me?

Ill be going with the FMF 4.1 factory slip-on, had a tough choice between that and the akrapovic one.

But what more to do? read alot of problems with the 450 -18 about starter clutch, but that should have been fixed for the -19 250 i think? also been problems with the airbox..anything needed to do there?

Never bought a brand new bike before, should i grease all the bearings and stuffs before i use it?

Something to check on the bike? electric spray the harness connections or stuffs like that?

Lastly, what new parts is cool to have for the yz250f? anything that improves the bike
Cheers!
|
Lynch
1/13/2019 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2019 1:18pm
I tore down my -18 450 today to grease everything, after seeing how all of it looked it felt like a waste of time, every bearing had more than enough. With that being said, tear yours down anyway just to be sure.

Cool parts? Imo, Hinson clutch, Twin Air power flow kit, axle blocks (stock are junk), fork bleeders, skidplate in carbon, Titanium footpegs Silly
Rohr144
1/13/2019 6:12pm
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes, so I tore up an old thin scarf and used that to cover the airbox breathing holes. Looks goofy, but keeps a ton of sand and dirt out and doesn't effect performance.
swtwtwtw
1/13/2019 8:24pm
Don’t neglect installing maps from the power tuner per the owners manual.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/13/2019 8:37pm
I rode the stock map and TP map on the app. I’d personally go with TP no questions asked.

The Shop

lumpy790
1/14/2019 6:08am
I always break in the bike then strip it down to the frame and grease and I only use Belray grease.
Make sure every electrical connector gets dielectric grease and frame grounds are clean and tight.
Drain coolant and use your favorite brand reassembling. I use only Engine Ice in my bikes.
I use blue locative on every plastic bolt when reassembling so they never fall out.
Make sure you are using the correct weight springs for your weight and riding ability.
After 10-15 hours Service the suspension so it is cleaned and fresh fluids.

And of course the bike gets Moto Hose colored silicone hoses! Smile
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/14/2019 8:01am
Lynch wrote:
I tore down my -18 450 today to grease everything, after seeing how all of it looked it felt like a waste of time, every bearing...
I tore down my -18 450 today to grease everything, after seeing how all of it looked it felt like a waste of time, every bearing had more than enough. With that being said, tear yours down anyway just to be sure.

Cool parts? Imo, Hinson clutch, Twin Air power flow kit, axle blocks (stock are junk), fork bleeders, skidplate in carbon, Titanium footpegs Silly
yeah fork bleeders! thx! been in my head for a year but always forgot, will write it down asap haha.
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/14/2019 8:02am
Rohr144 wrote:
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes...
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes, so I tore up an old thin scarf and used that to cover the airbox breathing holes. Looks goofy, but keeps a ton of sand and dirt out and doesn't effect performance.
You got any dirt getting past your filter yet? kinda worries me abit for this new design after reading some horrible posts here
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/14/2019 8:03am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Don’t neglect installing maps from the power tuner per the owners manual.
Already got the TP map ready for when i pick up the bike! kinda stoked to try out different maps and see if i can really feel any difference
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/14/2019 8:08am
lumpy790 wrote:
I always break in the bike then strip it down to the frame and grease and I only use Belray grease. Make sure every electrical connector...
I always break in the bike then strip it down to the frame and grease and I only use Belray grease.
Make sure every electrical connector gets dielectric grease and frame grounds are clean and tight.
Drain coolant and use your favorite brand reassembling. I use only Engine Ice in my bikes.
I use blue locative on every plastic bolt when reassembling so they never fall out.
Make sure you are using the correct weight springs for your weight and riding ability.
After 10-15 hours Service the suspension so it is cleaned and fresh fluids.

And of course the bike gets Moto Hose colored silicone hoses! Smile
yeah all plastics is going down, same for the triple clamp, linkage and swingarm for some grease. will go over all the electricial connectors aswell, never thout about the coolant fluid, is it usual to change that from the factory?

Still 2 months away from when all the big tracks open here in sweden so got some time to work on the new bike Smile
Rohr144
1/14/2019 10:52am
Rohr144 wrote:
I have a 19 yz250f and didn't like the airbox setup and it seemed like the air filter gets dirtier than air filters on other bikes...
Hrzk75 wrote:
You got any dirt getting past your filter yet? kinda worries me abit for this new design after reading some horrible posts here
I did get very little particles past the stock air filter, since it was sand and I didn't oil the filter enough. I bought an aftermarket air filter and oil it a lot, use rim grease and then used the cloth over the air holes method and my filter barely gets Dirty.
1/14/2019 7:07pm
I put on some Works Connection radiator braces before I even rode my 19. Pro taper aluminium throttle tube is great also.
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/15/2019 10:33am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 10:34am
Rohr144 wrote:
oh btw, how much do you cover the intake holes? put a big enough scarf there to just block the whole breathing holes or something to just be in the way for the "heavy amount" of dirt?

or did you make a "filter" with the scarf?
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/15/2019 10:35am
Jolson519 wrote:
I put on some Works Connection radiator braces before I even rode my 19. Pro taper aluminium throttle tube is great also.
cool, might getting one set of those braces! do they work good?
thinking the radiators might not move at all and just get crushed hehe
Rohr144
1/15/2019 12:23pm
Rohr144 wrote:
Hrzk75 wrote:
oh btw, how much do you cover the intake holes? put a big enough scarf there to just block the whole breathing holes or something to...
oh btw, how much do you cover the intake holes? put a big enough scarf there to just block the whole breathing holes or something to just be in the way for the "heavy amount" of dirt?

I completely cover the intake holes, but the scarf material is super thin and breathable. I fold it so it's a double layer, but it's still really breathable. Keeps a ton of sand out. I'll send a pic when I get home.
Wolfey
1/15/2019 1:32pm
I hated the air filter design.I cut up a old filter and stuffed it in the air scoops on the shrouds, had the filter soaked in oil and the bottom edge greased and still found a little sand in the air boot. I quickly decided to go with the twin air cage and filters. It sucked spending the money but I haven’t found any dirt getting in now. Highly recommend getting this setup. The twin air cage has the old design with a lip that the filter sits over and is bolted down .
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/15/2019 2:51pm
Rohr144 wrote:
Hrzk75 wrote:
oh btw, how much do you cover the intake holes? put a big enough scarf there to just block the whole breathing holes or something to...

Rohr144 wrote:
I completely cover the intake holes, but the scarf material is super thin and breathable. I fold it so it's a double layer, but it's still...
I completely cover the intake holes, but the scarf material is super thin and breathable. I fold it so it's a double layer, but it's still really breathable. Keeps a ton of sand out. I'll send a pic when I get home.
Cool do that! Smile

Have you checken recently for dirt after you went with the scarf?
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/15/2019 2:55pm
Wolfey wrote:
I hated the air filter design.I cut up a old filter and stuffed it in the air scoops on the shrouds, had the filter soaked in...
I hated the air filter design.I cut up a old filter and stuffed it in the air scoops on the shrouds, had the filter soaked in oil and the bottom edge greased and still found a little sand in the air boot. I quickly decided to go with the twin air cage and filters. It sucked spending the money but I haven’t found any dirt getting in now. Highly recommend getting this setup. The twin air cage has the old design with a lip that the filter sits over and is bolted down .
Sounds real weird that sand STILL gets past the filter..can the sand come from somewhere else or was it not closed in the air scoops with the stuffed filter?

Sounds like it might be a twin air filter cage in the end but Will give it a try with normal twin air filters first
Rohr144
1/15/2019 4:38pm
Hrzk75 wrote:

Rohr144 wrote:
I completely cover the intake holes, but the scarf material is super thin and breathable. I fold it so it's a double layer, but it's still...
Hrzk75 wrote:
Cool do that! Smile

I try to change the scarf material everytime, since it's so easy. Unless it doesn't have any dirt on it. It usually keeps most of the stuff out. I also feel like the method mentioned above, cutting up an old air filter and putting it inside the air vents, would work very well too.
Wolfey
1/15/2019 6:32pm
Rohr144 wrote:
Hrzk75 wrote:
Cool do that! Smile

Rohr144 wrote:
I try to change the scarf material everytime, since it's so easy. Unless it doesn't have any dirt on it. It usually keeps most of the...
I try to change the scarf material everytime, since it's so easy. Unless it doesn't have any dirt on it. It usually keeps most of the stuff out. I also feel like the method mentioned above, cutting up an old air filter and putting it inside the air vents, would work very well too.
I did this (stuff filter in shrouds) on my 15 and 16 and never had much dirt get on the filter. I was like you researching about the 19 when I bought mine. I found some guys were complaining about the new filter design and how they couldn’t believe dirt was getting by. I also read some reviews in magazines saying to junk the new filter and buy the Dt1 or twin air kits and eliminate the risk. Just keep your eye on the stock set up if decide not to upgrade. I shined a flashlight in the air boot and saw a few grains of sand and bought the new set up. Other than that, the bike is awesome.
ktm-5
1/16/2019 12:53am
Could the dirt be getting in from removing the air filter? I know ktm had an awful design b4 and almost every time I would get dirt that fell in after I removed filter, even after wiping it down good around it.
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 3:15am
ktm-5 wrote:
Could the dirt be getting in from removing the air filter? I know ktm had an awful design b4 and almost every time I would get...
Could the dirt be getting in from removing the air filter? I know ktm had an awful design b4 and almost every time I would get dirt that fell in after I removed filter, even after wiping it down good around it.
Something ive been thinking of aswell..how does the twin air kit look? Should it not drop down dirt from changing that aswell?
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 3:18am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Cool do that! Smile

Rohr144 wrote:
I try to change the scarf material everytime, since it's so easy. Unless it doesn't have any dirt on it. It usually keeps most of the...
Wolfey wrote:
I did this (stuff filter in shrouds) on my 15 and 16 and never had much dirt get on the filter. I was like you researching...
I did this (stuff filter in shrouds) on my 15 and 16 and never had much dirt get on the filter. I was like you researching about the 19 when I bought mine. I found some guys were complaining about the new filter design and how they couldn’t believe dirt was getting by. I also read some reviews in magazines saying to junk the new filter and buy the Dt1 or twin air kits and eliminate the risk. Just keep your eye on the stock set up if decide not to upgrade. I shined a flashlight in the air boot and saw a few grains of sand and bought the new set up. Other than that, the bike is awesome.
As the ktm-5 Guy Said, can it maybe be thet dirt drops down when changing filter?
Can you post a picture how the twin air kit looks on your bike if you are nearby sometime?
Yeah bike seems real good! Damn Shame they fucked it up with the filter
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 3:43am
Found an interesting article here: https://www.google.se/amp/s/motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-team-tested-…

Twin air claims they fixed the problem with dity getting in, apparantly the OEM design makes the suction from the engine dry the middle of the filter from oil, thus making some dirt slip by. Fixed it with some spacer.

Going to buy some of those to start with right away, did not really like the look of the cap needed for powerflow kit instead of the original plastic
Lynch
1/16/2019 4:46am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Found an interesting article here: https://www.google.se/amp/s/motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-team-tested-twin-air-2018-yamaha-yz450f-air-filter/ Twin air claims they fixed the problem with dity getting in, apparantly the OEM design makes the suction from the...
Found an interesting article here: https://www.google.se/amp/s/motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-team-tested-…

Twin air claims they fixed the problem with dity getting in, apparantly the OEM design makes the suction from the engine dry the middle of the filter from oil, thus making some dirt slip by. Fixed it with some spacer.

Going to buy some of those to start with right away, did not really like the look of the cap needed for powerflow kit instead of the original plastic
You don't need a different cap with the powerflow kit, that was only needed for the very first kit for the older model.

Toss the stock filter in the bin. Start with the regular twin air filters and see if you have any problems, I have seen a few people on different forums claiming they are getting dirt past the backfire screen but neither I or any of the people I know have had any issues. I bought a pair of shroud filters from PC Racing that I'm gonna try out to see if I can get away with maybe changing filters once on race day. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/734/45426/PC-Racing-Flo-Shroud-Air…
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 7:09am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Found an interesting article here: https://www.google.se/amp/s/motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-team-tested-twin-air-2018-yamaha-yz450f-air-filter/ Twin air claims they fixed the problem with dity getting in, apparantly the OEM design makes the suction from the...

Lynch wrote:
You don't need a different cap with the powerflow kit, that was only needed for the very first kit for the older model. Toss the stock...
You don't need a different cap with the powerflow kit, that was only needed for the very first kit for the older model.

Toss the stock filter in the bin. Start with the regular twin air filters and see if you have any problems, I have seen a few people on different forums claiming they are getting dirt past the backfire screen but neither I or any of the people I know have had any issues. I bought a pair of shroud filters from PC Racing that I'm gonna try out to see if I can get away with maybe changing filters once on race day. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/734/45426/PC-Racing-Flo-Shroud-Air…
Ah cool, that first design is pretty ugly haha

You changing filters after every moto on a practice day? Had a ktm 2stroke for 2 years now and only changes filter before i go riding and never a problem with dirt after the filter

Aint it sketchy changing filters on the track with the position it now has?
Lynch
1/16/2019 8:36am
Hrzk75 wrote:
Ah cool, that first design is pretty ugly haha You changing filters after every moto on a practice day? Had a ktm 2stroke for 2 years...

You changing filters after every moto on a practice day? Had a ktm 2stroke for 2 years now and only changes filter before i go riding and never a problem with dirt after the filter

Not changing filters at all during practise days, usually once during race days. (25+2 lap motos).
So practise > Heat 1 = change
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 12:34pm
Hrzk75 wrote:
Ah cool, that first design is pretty ugly haha You changing filters after every moto on a practice day? Had a ktm 2stroke for 2 years...

Lynch wrote:
Not changing filters at all during practise days, usually once during race days. (25+2 lap motos).
So practise > Heat 1 = change
great! what filter are you using by the way? the normal twin air or the powerflow kit?
Lynch
1/16/2019 12:57pm
Normal Twin Air filters
Wolfey
1/16/2019 5:51pm
Mxa just sent a tweet out on this very subject today lol..

Perfect timing
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
1/16/2019 9:44pm
Wolfey wrote:
Mxa just sent a tweet out on this very subject today lol.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/16/318480/s1200_D802AE97_B40E_489D_B65E_5E2EE792FB5B.jpg[/img] Perfect timing
Mxa just sent a tweet out on this very subject today lol..

Perfect timing
Hah look at that lol, Will show it for the dealer and hope i get a good price.. Yamaha should almost sponsor everyone with one of those

Post a reply to: Yamaha YZ250F 2019, Mods, Tips and more?

The Latest