YZ450F KYB Inner Cartridge Adjuster Spins

shillow
2/3/2020 11:09am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2020 2:43pm
Looking for a little guidance, I've got a 2006 YZ450F and the compression adjuster in the fork cap just spins. I can hear it clicking but it doesn't move in our out like the other fork, so I know it's somehow disconnected/broken. Does anyone know how to disassemble the cartridge and if so is the broken part fixable or available? I took the bottom nut off and took the stack of "washers" off but can't figure out how to get the top cap off the rod and I didn't want to damage it any further. I've seen where they sell the entire assembly which isn't cheap so I'd like to fix this one if possible.

Thanks!
|
cwtoyota
2/3/2020 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2020 12:51pm
shillow wrote:
Looking for a little guidance, I've got a 2006 YZ450F and the compression adjuster in the fork cap just spins. I can hear it clicking but...
Looking for a little guidance, I've got a 2006 YZ450F and the compression adjuster in the fork cap just spins. I can hear it clicking but it doesn't move in our out like the other fork, so I know it's somehow disconnected/broken. Does anyone know how to disassemble the cartridge and if so is the broken part fixable or available? I took the bottom nut off and took the stack of "washers" off but can't figure out how to get the top cap off the rod and I didn't want to damage it any further. I've seen where they sell the entire assembly which isn't cheap so I'd like to fix this one if possible.

Thanks!
Sounds like the adjuster screw is broken or the threads are stripped out of it.

You have to completely disassemble the fork to do it correctly because you'll have to re-set the oil levels.

You need the large octagon wrench (eight sides) for the cap, the small internal octagon for the compression valve assembly, a little forked tool (some people call it the H-Tool) to remove the rebound adjuster as well as a couple of open-end metric wrenches and sockets and other standard hand tools.

Check on youtube, there are so many good videos there showing how to replace fork seals and change your fork oil... That will get you far enough to take your compression adjuster out.

Then you have to carefully remove the compression valving, the free piston, and the compression spring from that inner fork cap. You'll be able to see the end of the compression needle to see if it's moving or not. It's basically like the air-screw in a carburetor. You can remove the compression rod (typically you need a special tool to hold them) if the screw & needle are not working. Check out e-bay and other places... I'll bet you can get a complete compression assembly for about $100.

They use loc-tite to retain the compression valve and the compression rod. Get a little bronze brush and clean off the threads with contact cleaner. Use a drop of loc-tite when you re-assemble it, but don't use so much that it runs everywhere and clogs up the compression valving or needle.

*edit

TBT has a video disassembling the cartridge. You can see the compression needle sticking out the end of the compression rod at 7:28... That's your guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrafDhaHbKc
shillow
2/6/2020 2:11pm
Thanks for the help CWToyota and Slipdog. That video is exactly what I needed to see. I'll take mine apart and see if I can tell what's broken in there and what I need.

m21racing do you have the cap or the entire assembly? If so let me know how much.

The Shop

m21racing
2/6/2020 2:17pm
shillow wrote:
Thanks for the help CWToyota and Slipdog. That video is exactly what I needed to see. I'll take mine apart and see if I can tell...
Thanks for the help CWToyota and Slipdog. That video is exactly what I needed to see. I'll take mine apart and see if I can tell what's broken in there and what I need.

m21racing do you have the cap or the entire assembly? If so let me know how much.
I have an adjuster that will work. I'll snap a pic. Dm me for details
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1775th
2/6/2020 5:46pm
Not to totally hi-jack...

Do you guys have a torque spec for the cap to the stem? Any loc tite?

Thanks!
shillow
2/6/2020 6:49pm
m21racing...DM sent.
shillow
2/10/2020 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2020 8:40pm
m21racing...Do you still want to sell the adjuster...haven't heard back from you? Thanks.
m21racing
2/11/2020 8:36am
shillow wrote:
m21racing...Do you still want to sell the adjuster...haven't heard back from you? Thanks.
I didn't get a dm. Tried to send message

Post a reply to: YZ450F KYB Inner Cartridge Adjuster Spins

The Latest