YZ250F 2019 Purchase

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2021 11:36 AM

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a YZ250F and have looked closely at one. It's quite a drive so I asked for a video starting it up and engine sound. Some of you guys might be able to hear if everything sounds as it should. Piston/Timining chain has been replaced 25 hours ago according to the owner.

Thanks for the help!

https://streamable.com/y0f1vv

|

1/18/2021 11:57 AM

I would ask for some kind of proof that the top end was done. Also check the last time the valves were checked. How many total hours are on the bike?

|

1/18/2021 12:26 PM

It has run 94 hours. I did ask about invoice for the top end, we will see what comes up. I'll ask about the valves.

Does it sound fine on the video for you?

|

1/18/2021 1:26 PM

I mean it sounds fine but honestly it’s hard to tell from the video. 94 hours is somewhat a lot depending on maintenance. Thing I would worry about is the bottom end. I’m sure more will chime in but I know around 150, give or take depending on how it was ran, you want to start thinking about having the crank rebuilt. Depending on how many times the head has been shimmed and how much room you have left to shim, you may want to consider it could require new valves.

|

1/19/2021 1:19 AM

Alright, this is useful info. I am also looking at a 2020 with 61 hours on it, it's owned by an up and coming amateur. It looks more worn then the 2019 and is obviously more expensive. If I would get the 2019 it gives me some room to spend on doing the rebuild straight after buying it. I'll keep all those things in mind, thanks man!

|

1/19/2021 2:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2021 2:58 AM

I had 67h on my 2020 when the engine started to sound weird and i lost power, the bottom end was completely gone by then (i changed OEM piston at 30h and 61h).

So in your case, i would want actual proof of the piston changes and also bottom end swaps. Especially on the bike that has been with a younger (and probably pretty fast?) kid. You're also looking at a new piston and timing change soon, i would not go much over 30 hours on a 250 top end if it has been ridden by someone relatively fast and in a lot of heavy sand.

Fortunately the Yamaha OEM piston and cam chain aren't expensive if you get a good discount from a Yamaha dealer. I think i paid around 150€/top end kit.

|

1/19/2021 6:26 AM

Also what are the prices you’re looking at on these bikes if you don’t mind us asking? Any modifications? Any pictures?

|

1/22/2021 1:37 PM

Its really tough buying a used bike in todays market. People are selling bikes for top dollar. I reckon that 2019 is at least $6K. And the 2020 is not too far off either. Tough to say

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

1/22/2021 1:48 PM

Which is unfortunate because a left over used to cost not to much more than that. Regardless of what you do, I would stay away from anything with engine work unless it was meticulously maintained and there are records. If you want to play it safe as soon as you get it home I would change all fluids, check the valves, change the cam chain. Extra mile would be new piston. That way you can keep a solid maintenance record of everything and you know where the bike stands. Good luck and keep us updated!

Keith

|

1/22/2021 5:31 PM

Thedirtyrider wrote:

Alright, this is useful info. I am also looking at a 2020 with 61 hours on it, it's owned by an up and coming amateur. It ...more

Don’t do it. Up and coming amateurs rev the piss out of a 250.

|

1/22/2021 11:51 PM

kb22 wrote:

Also what are the prices you’re looking at on these bikes if you don’t mind us asking? Any modifications? Any pictures?

Price of the 2019 is Eur 4,5k and the 2020 is Eur 5,6k. But I wrote both off considering above comments. Want to get a 2020 with max 50 hours on it. It ain't easy a lot of them look like they went through hell and just ridden without doing any maintenance. Which I guess is what people do who sell 1-2 year old bikes. Somehow I never want to buy new as the price drops so much when leaving the dealership. With a bit of luck I'll find a good used one for 2,5k less.

|

2/2/2021 10:02 AM

Well, ended up buying a 2019 with 62 hours on it. But the bike looks well maintained. I am going to do a top-end rebuilt.
I can't find a service manual in English, even my local dealer can't get it for the 2019, only for 2021.

Does anyone have an idea where I can find a service manual for it? I googled without luck.

|

2/2/2021 10:44 AM

Try eBay, I’d do a leak down test and/or solvent test for the valves. Cam chain as well while you’re at. Congrats on the new bike, there awesome machines!

|

2/2/2021 11:53 AM

Thanks man, another dealer just sent me the manual so all good there.

I'll be changing the piston and timing chain and will inspect the valves while I'm at it. Doing a full teardown of the bike to inspect everything, already ordered new link and shock bearings.

Can't wait to work on this thing and ride it when winter passes here. Coming off an RM250 so it's going to take some time getting used to 4 stroke again.

|

2/2/2021 12:16 PM

That’s a big change, that 250 was probably a monster. 250f is fast though and it’s very usable on trails as well, love mine! Keep us updated on how it goes!

|

2/13/2021 10:33 AM

Started tearing down the bike.

Brought the forks and shock to a shop for re-valve and maintenance.

Until now I didn't find anything dramatic. All bearings need replacement there is sand and rust in them. One of the radiators took a hit and is bent on the inside. The plug on the starter motor seems a bit melted from the exahust probably.
And overal it's very dirty, so a lot of cleaning to do.

At least I get to know the bike, after cleaning is done I'll change the top end.

Photo

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/13/2021 10:54 AM

you will love it, keep it coming

|

2/20/2021 1:41 PM

Slow progress. Engine and frame is clean and started replacing the linkage bearings.

Question about what oil to run. The previous owner was running this oil and sweared by it: Photo

Now in the manual this viscosity 10w60 is not even mentioned. What do you guys advise to use?

|

2/20/2021 2:43 PM

Honesty man in everything I ran I used to use amsoil but with how much you’re doing changes in these bikes I stick to Yamaha. Plus Yamaha has always had fantastic oil and I stick with their full synthetic blend. Motul also makes a solid oil as well, I would just find one that you like or trust and stick with it. Being on top of filters,oil and basic maintenance will be a big factor to the health of the bike.

|

2/21/2021 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2021 11:33 AM

Thanks. Started tearing down the top end. Changed the piston and chain, just need to rebuild it. Found out with a solvent test that both intake valves are leaking quite badly. Thanks for the tip to check those.

I dont have a valve spring release tool, ordered and will have to wait to check them.

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/21/2021 12:12 PM

Hey I’m glad you were able to catch that! I found when I took my head off that I had a couple seats that were a bit wore but I also found that I had flat faced valves. I’ll be sending mine off to get redone and may take a leap for some delwest valves and copper seats to hopefully improve the reliability. I found my valve tool for like 20 off of Amazon but you can actually send the head assembled which seems to be the preference among builders (millennium tech, TMR..). Great job on everything, looks like a great bike.

|

2/21/2021 12:18 PM

yeah, pretty surprised it can be that big of a gap with just 62 hours on the engine. I'll inspect the seats and valves, might just be some carbon built up.

|

2/21/2021 12:31 PM

Wow!! Fourstrokes! Lol. Nice broad power, but sucks working on them!

|

2/21/2021 11:06 PM

DB505 wrote:

Wow!! Fourstrokes! Lol. Nice broad power, but sucks working on them!

Haha so true, could change the piston on my RM in an hour without having to check anything else.

Hope the rave about the YZ is worth it!

|

2/23/2021 1:04 PM

Oh the YZ is worth it.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

2/27/2021 5:59 AM

Do I understand this well?

- Tighten them to 30Nm criss cross
- Remove single bolt and re-tighten to 15Nm (repeat for all 4 bolts)
- Tighten according to degrees shown (first 60 and then another 60degrees)

Photo

|

2/27/2021 10:34 AM

I'm about to do a top end on my 19, Which way did you face the rings? I think theres only two rings on the piston, right?

|

2/27/2021 11:21 AM

I would get a manual, it will give you the proper orientation, torque specs, and set up. There is one piston ring and then your oil rings (3)

|

2/27/2021 12:57 PM

Rohr144 wrote:

I'm about to do a top end on my 19, Which way did you face the rings? I think theres only two rings on the piston, right?

There is 1 compression ring and 3 oil rings.
I highly recommend the service manual due to all of them being different orientations.
Ryan

|

2/27/2021 1:02 PM

Thedirtyrider wrote:

Do I understand this well?

- Tighten them to 30Nm criss cross
- Remove single bolt and re-tighten to 15Nm (repeat for all 4 ...more

Yes sir, you are correct.
Torque all bolts, loosen one at a time and then seat the bolt all the way down then torque to 11. Repeat for the other 3.
Degree all bolts 60 degrees.
Repeat degree all to 60 degrees.
Tighten 2 outer nuts.

Biggest thing to do is use moly grease on first install then when you loosen use moly again before second torque.

Ryan

|