YZ250 has got... THE DRIP??? (power valve hose)

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2019 6:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2019 7:14 PM

13 yz250 I just picked up, ran it for 20min when I got home bike runs awesome and feels well jetted, pulled plug looks great.

HOWEVER, something ive never seen before, it is dripping out of the power valve hose on left side of cylinder and it is NOT spooge, it is 100% gearbox oil with clutch sheen in it. I can't imagine how gear oil is working it way up thru it. btw, bike does not smoke at all while running except during cold start up. so I don't think the crankcase seal is bad which would be the obvious reason if it was smoking out the exhaust as it would leak and get mixed in with the fresh air charge.

Bike has stated 30hrs on it and its mint, super tight fresh bike with fantastic compression. but having gearbox oil leaking from this is disturbing. if it was spooge nbd but....

please advise

|

Too many bikes not enough asses

6/4/2019 12:00 AM

Not many possibilities here, crankseal, cracked case, improperly sealed case... are you 100 percent positive it’s trans oil?

|

6/4/2019 2:07 PM

Its crank seals or the case . That is if indeed that's trans fluid.

|

2018 crf 250r

6/4/2019 2:31 PM

Thinking if it was tranny oil the bike would be smoking and running like crap, not my bike but i would be saying spooge all day, mine drips oil too, figure thats what its there for

|

6/4/2019 3:56 PM

kijen wrote:

Thinking if it was tranny oil the bike would be smoking and running like crap, not my bike but i would be saying spooge all day, mine drips oil too, figure thats what its there for

Yeah like said , if it is trans oil you know where it's coming from . I would be more then willing to bet its 2st oil mixed with carbon and unburnt fuel. Which is normal for a power valve .

|

2018 crf 250r

6/4/2019 6:51 PM

Since the bike runs and is jetted perfect I just I won't worry about it either way. that said I didnt send it to Blackstone labs to be analyzed but ive never seen spooge have such low viscosity and have what looks like "clutch dust" in it

|

6/4/2019 6:54 PM

GCBC wrote:

Since the bike runs and is jetted perfect I just I won't worry about it either way. that said I didnt send it to Blackstone labs to be analyzed but ive never seen spooge have such low viscosity and have what looks like "clutch dust" in it

If it were crank seals , you would not be able to get perfect jetting and you would be losing level in the trans. Just monitor that stuff and ride it like you stole it brother. I wouldent worry with it. like he said they put the tube there for a reason .

|

2018 crf 250r

6/5/2019 7:55 AM

Mine did the same thing (always dripped a little bit out of the hose when first fired up). Didn't think it was anything other than premix and carbon

|

6/5/2019 2:11 PM

Probably is moisture and premix from sitting.

|

6/5/2019 2:24 PM

he was running 32:1 yamalub 2hr in it and thats what was in the tank. I switched it over to my 50:1 motul 800 im running in the other bikes which should make it a cunt hair richer and dramatically reduce the spooge out the power valve (tho nothing was coming out the exhaust.

hopeful thats it.
thanks guys

|

6/5/2019 6:37 PM

All my YZ125’s did that. Always ran great though like
Someone mentioned above I thought it was just premix.

|

6/5/2019 8:13 PM

My YZ does that. It’s more annoying that anything but no problems

|

6/6/2019 7:42 AM

My 01 does this. If it still bothers you take the pv front cover off and see all the spooge sitting in there. You can clean it out but will come right back after a few rides. I always clean mine up when I put a new piston in though

|

6/6/2019 10:24 AM

Spudnut wrote:

My 01 does this. If it still bothers you take the pv front cover off and see all the spooge sitting in there. You can clean it out but will come right back after a few rides. I always clean mine up when I put a new piston in though

I mean , do you guys not clean your power valve every 10 hours ??? I mean I have been a slacker at times . But cleaning the power valve and all that is crucial to peak performance on a 2 stroke . Any sort of stiction reduces power .

|

2018 crf 250r

6/6/2019 9:44 PM

GCBC wrote:

he was running 32:1 yamalub 2hr in it and thats what was in the tank. I switched it over to my 50:1 motul 800 im running in the other bikes which should make it a cunt hair richer and dramatically reduce the spooge out the power valve (tho nothing was coming out the exhaust.

hopeful thats it.
thanks guys

That looks like normal pre-mix drool to me.

Running less oil will make the fuel to air ratio RICHER.... which cools the combustion temps and results in a less complete burn and more drool, not the other way around. It's not as simple as less oil = less drool. The stock YZ jetting works very well at the recommended 32:1. Running less oil usually requires slightly leaner jetting.

|

Powerband in every gear !

6/7/2019 6:23 AM

GCBC wrote:

hopeful thats it.
thanks guys

FGR01 wrote:

That looks like normal pre-mix drool to me.

Running less oil will make the fuel to air ratio RICHER.... which cools the combustion temps and results in a less complete burn and more drool, not the other way around. It's not as simple as less oil = less drool. The stock YZ jetting works very well at the recommended 32:1. Running less oil usually requires slightly leaner jetting.

thanks for the reply but I believe you misread that quote.

I ended up putting 1.5hrs on it yesterday trying to get the suspension close and was really ripping on it with the new gas and oil. still making a mess on the shop floor out that hose with the 50:1. nothing out the exhaust at all. super crisp everywhere. went up to a 180main from 178 last night as plug was more white than my first test run w the bike. going to track Saturday with it.

suspension wise the kyb is WAY more suited to me than the AER setup. unfortunately the forks that just got done are valved too stiff (slow fork action) than I want. the shock I can get close and the spring on the shock is correct but have to now set the shock to be stiffer than I want just so it balances the bike to match the fork.. ugh.

Still have my "new" RMZ, waiting for a few parts to come next week before I can try getting it sorted out.

still thinking going TM144 as well

|

6/12/2019 4:11 AM

I had a similar experience. They only thing I could think of was a batch of bad 2T oil. I switched brands and never had the problem again.

|

6/12/2019 5:13 AM

Lay it on it left side and any excess will run out. Supposed to have oil there to lube the valve and linkage

|

6/12/2019 10:46 AM

As many have said, it's common for YZs. My 2013 250 did the exact same thing. It's annoying, but that's just the way they are.

|

I have nothing more to say.