YZ250 exhaust mount insert spinning in frame

Pirate421
Looking for insight from owners with 2005+ yz250s. I just bought a leftover 2017 and have seen a few yz’s in the past that have had problems with the lower exhaust mount. There is a small tab on the frame where the rubber mount is bolted and inside the tab there is a threaded insert inside the aluminum tab in the frame. I’ve seen a few cases where this insert starts spinning in the frame and does not let the mounting bolt tighten down. Anyone here ever have that problem and did you fix it? I took that bolt out and put some Anti-seize on it hoping to prevent that insert from breaking loose.
|
3/13/2018 5:06pm
Non issues with mine. Although I did just buy a new bracket because the rubber piece was starting to dry and crack
Mr Happy
Fantasy
2561st
3/14/2018 7:08am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 7:09am
If it's a rivnut then just squeeze it up tight again with a rivnut tool. A bolt and a nut will do if you don't want to spend money on even a cheap Chinese made tool. If it still spins then drill it out and put a new one in.

It's a pretty common problem with inserts where the bolt is rarely removed. With a bit of corrosion it'll gall and start turning the insert with little effort. This page shows the tool and how the insert works. https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/de/rivnut-kit-budget
Pirate421
3/14/2018 11:13am
Mr Happy wrote:
If it's a rivnut then just squeeze it up tight again with a rivnut tool. A bolt and a nut will do if you don't want...
If it's a rivnut then just squeeze it up tight again with a rivnut tool. A bolt and a nut will do if you don't want to spend money on even a cheap Chinese made tool. If it still spins then drill it out and put a new one in.

It's a pretty common problem with inserts where the bolt is rarely removed. With a bit of corrosion it'll gall and start turning the insert with little effort. This page shows the tool and how the insert works. https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/de/rivnut-kit-budget
Yes I guess that’s it. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it doesn’t come loose, but if it does like the ones I’ve seen there are options for fixing it. When I was looking at it I couldn’t think
Of a way to replace the insert until I saw that tool

Post a reply to: YZ250 exhaust mount insert spinning in frame

The Latest