YZ250 carb leaking at the float bowl...

DoctorJD
I've had this bike for several years (02' Keihin carb), and the last couple of times I've ridden, I'm getting a steady drip of gas from the juncture of the carb body and the float bowl. It almost looks like it's coming from the front/left float bowl mounting screw. I'm fairly certain that it's the rubber gasket that's broken down, so I've got a new one on order. But here's the deal: Should there be enough gas in the float bowl for it to leak like that?

I double-checked the float bowl height, and it was off about 2mm so I adjusted it to spec. The float valve isn't sticking, so I've ruled that out as suspect. No cracks in the carb body or the bowl. I may be overthinking this, and it's just a matter of the gasket being compromised, but I can't get over the fact that there's enough gas in the bowl to produce a leak of that magnitude.

Any ideas?
|
speed_racer
Fantasy
2007th
9/6/2017 10:08pm
Standard deal with about any carb.

If the oring or gasket is bad it will seep right at that spot regardless of the float level.
I know you might ask how the fuel can leak when it's below the oring, trust me it can and will.

DoctorJD
9/7/2017 3:35am
Standard deal with about any carb. If the oring or gasket is bad it will seep right at that spot regardless of the float level. I...
Standard deal with about any carb.

If the oring or gasket is bad it will seep right at that spot regardless of the float level.
I know you might ask how the fuel can leak when it's below the oring, trust me it can and will.

Thanks Speed.

Post a reply to: YZ250 carb leaking at the float bowl...

The Latest