YZ250: Vortex and Lectron?

My '15 YZ250 has a Vortex ignition with 10 maps. I have a Lectron H 38 carb hanging on the way and 4.2 rod on the way. Figured I would try the Lectron on the YZ because... well, why not?

Question is... how is the Vortex going to affect or work with the Lectron?

In playing with maps right now- with the Keihin carb- it sure feels to me like I'd almost need to rejet for some of the maps. In fact, I fouled a plug while playing with the "enduro 2" map the other day, it was so rich feeling.

Is the Vortex/Lectron combo gonna play nice together or not?

FWIW.... I can jet just fine, thank you, but the bike is an enduro racing bike and conditions can change from 40 F/100% humidity in the morning to 80F/30% humidity in the afternoon. Bike that runs great in the morning can run crappy in the afternoon. Plus, I might be going from 5,000'-10,000' or from 5,000 to 800'. I had great success with the Lectron on our KTM 150's and not having to re-jet or, worse, show up late at night and have to guess at the next day's jetting is just one less thing to worry about.

|
OldPro277
1/25/2021 12:15pm
I can tell you that I have the Vortex with a Lectron HV on my Yamaha YZ144 and in the "Metcalf" setting,that bike is by FAR the cleanest,fastest,strongest small bore I have ever ridden. I don't think you'll have any issues getting the Lectron set up to play nice with the Vortex. I did have to richen the Lectron a smidge but nothing ridiculous, and I also don't have the swing in temps/humidity or elevation that you're talking about....however, that's kind of the glorious thing about the Lectron--- super easy adjustability in the event you need to tweak.
1/25/2021 12:21pm
OldPro277 wrote:
I can tell you that I have the Vortex with a Lectron HV on my Yamaha YZ144 and in the "Metcalf" setting,that bike is by FAR...
I can tell you that I have the Vortex with a Lectron HV on my Yamaha YZ144 and in the "Metcalf" setting,that bike is by FAR the cleanest,fastest,strongest small bore I have ever ridden. I don't think you'll have any issues getting the Lectron set up to play nice with the Vortex. I did have to richen the Lectron a smidge but nothing ridiculous, and I also don't have the swing in temps/humidity or elevation that you're talking about....however, that's kind of the glorious thing about the Lectron--- super easy adjustability in the event you need to tweak.
Just exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

I know a properly tuned Keihin runs great, but keeping it "properly tuned" is the kicker. Me... I'll take lesser but _consistent_ performance any day. And our experience with Lectrons on our KTM 150's was really good.

Now I gotta ask about the "Metcalf" setting. First I've heard of that!!!
OldPro277
1/25/2021 12:54pm
Well--- Metty was the last dude that ran the Nationals on a 125 2 stroke if you remember. Apparently they ran a Vortex with a special map setting on his bike. When I was talking to the Vortex guy, he said that if I was using it on the 125/144 he would make sure that the Metcalf setting was included and marked accordingly. When I got the ignition ,setting #5 (I think) was the infamous "Metcalf" setting . I tried the other ones and they all ran great, BUT when I switched onto that setting,all hell broke loose. Not in a bad way obviously, but it pulled sooo hard and just never shut off, really unbelievable. In fact, I raced a Vet race in the 60+ class last summer ,there were 24 guys on the gate (expanded metal type) I was the only 2 stoke with 20 450F's and 3 250F's and I pulled a 2 bike length holey against those big 4 strokes and it was a fairly long start straight (just clicking into 4th shortly before the 180 first turn. And believe me, I'm no 135lb dude. I was 210 at the time,lol. ( Unfortunately, I faded like a an old newspaper, but thats not the bikes fault,lol) The bike just really runs clean and strong. I've been a big believer in Lectrons and have them on 4 of my vintage bikes and on both of my modern bikes. The Vortex on the 144 is my first experience with a multiple-setting type of ignition and it made a helluva difference for sure. You'd have to check with the Vortex distributor guy (Mike?) to see if that setting (or something similar) is something thats available on all the ignitions ,or just the 125 YZ .
1/25/2021 6:10pm
OldPro... gotcha!!! I was thinking Metty was a setting on the LECTRON. Makes sense now!

I'm using this YZ250 for western enduro and so what I want is smooth, clean, even, controllable pull. If I don't like any of the maps I've got, I'll get in touch with Vortex for sure.

The Shop

2/6/2021 9:58am
I put the Lectron on and am VERY pleased. bike runs great down low and is incredibly stall resistant. I putted around in fifth gear just trying to make it stall and couldn't. Fell over a couple of times and bike kept running... that's a big energy saver in an enduro. Third gear is like magic.

First enduro at the end of the month.
adam8781
2/13/2021 11:18am
have a vortex and lectron H on the yz250 with porting and a custom head, it feels a little lean still more testing once the snow goes away. so far its a great combo. the other yz im building right now ill be trying alot harder with the stock carb first (rm250 needle, smaller powerjett and revised pilot/main) but yes they work great together.
2/13/2021 6:49pm
adam8781 wrote:
have a vortex and lectron H on the yz250 with porting and a custom head, it feels a little lean still more testing once the snow...
have a vortex and lectron H on the yz250 with porting and a custom head, it feels a little lean still more testing once the snow goes away. so far its a great combo. the other yz im building right now ill be trying alot harder with the stock carb first (rm250 needle, smaller powerjett and revised pilot/main) but yes they work great together.
Stock carb ran "okay" and probably could've run great in ONE situation, had I spent more time with it. I just feel like when I drive all day to get from NM (6,500' and 10% humidity) to OK (800' and 100% humdity), and my enduro starts at 9 am, I just don't have time to fuss with jetting. And as the day gets less humid and hotter (or vice versa... in TX last year, the temp dropped about 30 F and it started raining about 11 am), I like the consistent feel of the Lectron. And then there's Colorado. Smile

Anyway... I had one ride and I was really super pleased. The bike just would not stall. That, to me, is HUGE and worth any power gains I might or might not have given up.
MotoCoUSA
10/6/2021 2:38pm
Just put one on my yz250x and did a quick ride last weekend. Didn’t have time to really tune anything but wanted to see where it was at. It felt great. my question to you is have you taken it from 6k up to any substantial elevations? And if so, how did it feel compared to being lower? I’m in Colorado and typically ride the single track up high, but also still ride at about 6k when I go to the track.
10/7/2021 9:21am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2021 9:31am
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Just put one on my yz250x and did a quick ride last weekend. Didn’t have time to really tune anything but wanted to see where it...
Just put one on my yz250x and did a quick ride last weekend. Didn’t have time to really tune anything but wanted to see where it was at. It felt great. my question to you is have you taken it from 6k up to any substantial elevations? And if so, how did it feel compared to being lower? I’m in Colorado and typically ride the single track up high, but also still ride at about 6k when I go to the track.
I sold the YZ but before I did, yes... I moved to Angel Fire NM which _starts_ at 8500' and goes up to nearly 12,000'. I kept the Lectron and moved it to the '19 Husky TX 300 which replaced the YZ and that bike has been from 12k to 4500', flawlessly. I also have the '19 KTM 150 SX up here with its Lectron and it's gone up to 10,500'.

One thing I'll say... higher elevation will reveal any tweaks you need to make. For instance, I typically run a little rich and you can get away with that at 4500'. At 8500' and up, the KTM and the Husky both ran rich- the Husky down low and the KTM past 1/2 throttle- and I ended up dropping the rod 1 full turn in the Husky. On the KTM, I ended up turning in the "power jet" 3/4 turn to make the top end cleaner. When I go back to lower elevation both bikes run MUCH better than they did when I tuned down there. I checked a new plug twice on the Husky to make sure I wasn't lean and... no... not even close.

For ME, the Lectron is absolutely fantastic.

Here's some video of the 150 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHQ1SByHjs
MotoCoUSA
10/7/2021 10:27am
I sold the YZ but before I did, yes... I moved to Angel Fire NM which _starts_ at 8500' and goes up to nearly 12,000'. I...
I sold the YZ but before I did, yes... I moved to Angel Fire NM which _starts_ at 8500' and goes up to nearly 12,000'. I kept the Lectron and moved it to the '19 Husky TX 300 which replaced the YZ and that bike has been from 12k to 4500', flawlessly. I also have the '19 KTM 150 SX up here with its Lectron and it's gone up to 10,500'.

One thing I'll say... higher elevation will reveal any tweaks you need to make. For instance, I typically run a little rich and you can get away with that at 4500'. At 8500' and up, the KTM and the Husky both ran rich- the Husky down low and the KTM past 1/2 throttle- and I ended up dropping the rod 1 full turn in the Husky. On the KTM, I ended up turning in the "power jet" 3/4 turn to make the top end cleaner. When I go back to lower elevation both bikes run MUCH better than they did when I tuned down there. I checked a new plug twice on the Husky to make sure I wasn't lean and... no... not even close.

For ME, the Lectron is absolutely fantastic.

Here's some video of the 150 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHQ1SByHjs
Angel Fire is a nice place! Thanks for the detailed comment, cant wait to go try this thing out this weekend. Im really just looking for consistency when we ride from 6 - 12k in a weekend.
10/7/2021 10:41am
MotoCoUSA wrote:
Angel Fire is a nice place! Thanks for the detailed comment, cant wait to go try this thing out this weekend. Im really just looking for...
Angel Fire is a nice place! Thanks for the detailed comment, cant wait to go try this thing out this weekend. Im really just looking for consistency when we ride from 6 - 12k in a weekend.
I think you'll be pleased. Just be prepared to tweak the rod or power valve your first time up there.

Post a reply to: YZ250: Vortex and Lectron?

The Latest