YZ250 Axle

Related:
Create New Tag

11/12/2020 4:33 PM

I have a 2006 yz250 with a set of 2008 yz250f SSS forks on it. I’m tearing the bike apart to do a full cleanup/ build and I noticed the front axle is sticking out about .5-1” on the non brake caliper side. Just wondered if anyone has any info on it.

|

11/13/2020 1:07 PM

My 05 125 is the same way. I swapped out the AOS for 08 SSS fork from a 250f and my axle sticks out about 1.5mm. My research leads to a non brake side wheel spacer is different than my OEM 05 AOS spacer. The part number for the axle is the same, it the 250f wheel spacer that is 1mm narrower which is why the axle doesn't sit flush.

The shoulder portion of axle cleary passes through the lug properly, it's the wheel spacer that's causing the 1mm not flush.

Hope this helps.

|

11/13/2020 2:33 PM

b8res wrote:

My 05 125 is the same way. I swapped out the AOS for 08 SSS fork from a 250f and my axle sticks out about 1.5mm. My research leads to a non brake side wheel spacer is different than my OEM 05 AOS spacer. The part number for the axle is the same, it the 250f wheel spacer that is 1mm narrower which is why the axle doesn't sit flush.

The shoulder portion of axle cleary passes through the lug properly, it's the wheel spacer that's causing the 1mm not flush.

Hope this helps.

so you just shimmed your non brake side wheel spacer 1mm? or am I incorrect.

|

11/13/2020 4:25 PM

No the wheel is centered and and line up with the brake rotor with no issues due to the brake rotor spacer is correct. With non brake side spacer being 1mm wider that is why the axle doesn't sit flush. Doe that make sense?

If you get the correct spacer then the axle will be flush on the non bake side.

Hope that helps.

|

11/13/2020 8:31 PM

I believe the front axles are different from 05-07 to 08-current two strokes. 08 they switched lugs on all bikes, the fork guard pattern is different. But I think they also made the lugs smaller. But if your using 08 forks, use 08 axle and spacers.

|

11/13/2020 10:06 PM

I kinda went through this. I have a 2005 YZ250, and added 08+ forks (Showa A kit, not KYB SSS- but lugs are same overall spec) and tried an 06 axle and was not happy with the fit, so purchased new 08 OEM axle/spacers/nut and everything fits as it should.

While I'm sure you already addressed it, I want to say the brake mount changed too... but in my experience, the hanger is the only variant that needs to be addressed. I have a 05 caliper with 08 lugs and showa forks and everything bolts up just fine.

Good Luck!

|

11/15/2020 8:40 PM

So since we’re on this subject
I have a 2005 Yamaha yz 250 2 stroke
I’m taking sss suspension off my blown 2007 Yamaha yz 450f
Will I need to use 07 front brake too?
I’m guessing shock,is a direct swap?

I heard but cannot confirm that I should use swing arm also? Off 450 to 250?
Appreciate feedback

|

11/27/2020 12:09 AM

holeshot413 wrote:

So since we’re on this subject
I have a 2005 Yamaha yz 250 2 stroke
I’m taking sss suspension off my blown 2007 Yamaha yz 450f
Will I need to use 07 front brake too?
I’m guessing shock,is a direct swap?

I heard but cannot confirm that I should use swing arm also? Off 450 to 250?
Appreciate feedback

If you are taking the complete front end, clamps, axle, spacers included, it will be a direct swap. If not, it will still work but you gotta address some spacing and alignment stuff.

Also, Recall the 05 aoss have 4-5mm of slop in the forks, and also take measurements of setup and overall length so when you toss on the 07 stuff you are in the ballpark. The stems had variants in overall length, but I think the 07 is the "long" one which is what you need. As for the brake, the caliper will work, and worse case you swap mounts... the lug side is the same which is what matters the most IMO.

Shock should bolt on, but will not be valved well IMO. Swing arm has been discussed here, do a search. I chose to skip that part of the mod as it did not seem to be worth the time and cash.

Best of luck.

|