YZ125 Difference between the years (06-19)

Related:
Create New Tag

11/18/2018 11:50 PM

Might be buying a 125 for the winter and have as something to just have fun on.

My main question is how different is the suspension between the years, from what I can tell they got the same fork as the YZ250F in 2015? If so is the update worth getting a 2015 or newer? Any other input on what I should look out for are greatly appreciated.

Prices are hard to compare (Sweden to US) but I can get a fresh 17 for $3300 (40h enduro, new top end) while the older models range anywhere between $1500-3000 and have over 100h.

|

11/19/2018 12:05 AM

I'm also interested in this. The used YZ 125s are freaking cheap over in Sweden, might pick one up like you later this year.

|

11/19/2018 1:53 AM

I just picked up a 2018 YZ250, compared to my 2010 YZ250 the forks seem better. I still need to add a little oil as they do bottom on bigger hits like over jumps but other than that they are great. If you are going to get them revalved it won't make any difference though but I am happy with mine stock for valving so far. Not sure on the 125 but on the 250 they also went to a 270mm front rotor and the larger footpegs off the 250f. They did those around 2015 as well I think.

If it were me I would go the newer ones just cos they have less hours

|

11/19/2018 4:08 AM

Nothing majorly different, I guess the suspension technology might be slightly better with age but your talking minor tweaks internally. Same with engine, I believe 05-07 engines had a dodgey gearing bearing, and caused some engines to blow up when worn out. But they fixed that in later years. I've got a yz125 myself love the bike to bits, had a solid engine on it and not many issues other the the usual bearing replacements. My only issue with the yamaha is where the steering bearing dust shield is mine collects dirt and sand like no other, and will eventually get into the steering bearings. Ive had to do my steering bearings in the first year of owning it, as it was crunching when turned. KTM bikes come with a aluminium cover to prevent this, but other than that the bike is sound and pretty flawless.

|

11/19/2018 8:11 PM

I think the gear detent bearing issue was resolved in 2007. Fork lugs were changed around 2010-2013. Front master cylinder was changed in between 2006 and 2014, maybe 2008?

|

11/20/2018 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 7:12 AM

06-08 same, 09 new lugs, different swing and chain slider, lighter brakes, new rotors, 15-19 9 new plastics 16 black rims, 18 blue rims but new gen lost the titanium spring (thats 500 grams).

The point is the KYB SSS. I would think the 2009-2014 would be the best bike since I have no clue in what way the SSS changed for the better or not and new plastics doesn't make up for lost spring. I just sold my 2006, it was perfect, 200+ hours no issues.

I might have an 2006 YZ250 for sale in Sweden (2009 suspension and brakes). But different animal...

|

11/20/2018 8:20 AM

06-18 there is very little difference regarding performance engine or chassis. a few small things have trickled over from the 4t's but yamaha didnt do much (like in 09 a new swingarm wouldve been a huge benefit and some guys have made the swap)

year is essentially negligible, worry about price and condition

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

11/20/2018 8:42 AM

DrSweden wrote:

06-08 same, 09 new lugs, different swing and chain slider, lighter brakes, new rotors, 15-19 9 new plastics 16 black rims, 18 blue rims but new gen lost the titanium spring (thats 500 grams).

The point is the KYB SSS. I would think the 2009-2014 would be the best bike since I have no clue in what way the SSS changed for the better or not and new plastics doesn't make up for lost spring. I just sold my 2006, it was perfect, 200+ hours no issues.

I might have an 2006 YZ250 for sale in Sweden (2009 suspension and brakes). But different animal...

That helps a ton, thanks! A 250 might be interesting aswell! Going to try one out this weekend actually.

I just know I will have a lot of fun with a 125, good for training also.

|

11/20/2018 8:44 AM

Phillip_Lamb wrote:

06-18 there is very little difference regarding performance engine or chassis. a few small things have trickled over from the 4t's but yamaha didnt do much (like in 09 a new swingarm wouldve been a huge benefit and some guys have made the swap)

year is essentially negligible, worry about price and condition

Thanks! I have found one that imo is a bargain, just gotta decide what to do this winter before I go on and spend money whistling

|

5/28/2020 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2020 10:30 AM

Hi guys. Could anyone perhaps tell me if a 2008 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild kit will work in an 06? I have an 06 but local parts supplier only has 08+ in stock. From the pics they look the same and I only need the seals which look the same in pics, but perhaps sizes have changed?

This is for a YZ125 ofcourse.
Could anyone confirm? Thanks gents

|

5/29/2020 1:36 AM

I believe the master cylinder diameter changed in 08 so it will not fit.

|

5/29/2020 3:58 AM

Sharl18 wrote:

Hi guys. Could anyone perhaps tell me if a 2008 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild kit will work in an 06? I have an 06 but local parts supplier only has 08+ in stock. From the pics they look the same and I only need the seals which look the same in pics, but perhaps sizes have changed?

This is for a YZ125 ofcourse.
Could anyone confirm? Thanks gents

according to this, 01 thru 07 are the same..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZ-125-2001-2007-Front-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Rebuild-Kit-YZ125-/401344156318?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

|

6/1/2020 1:12 AM

Thanks guys. I was unable to find a kit for the 06, then I was thinking of having the MC bored out to accommodate the 08 kit.

Eventually I just decided to go the CRF route (08 CRF450R), so I found a few used ones in other parts of the country. Will post when it's here and on the bike.

Lockdown is easing up in SA so we'll be hopefully riding soon.

|