YZ triple clamps

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2018 4:13 PM

So I’ve been doing some reading and thinking a different triple clamp offset might help me out. I’m riding a 2011 YZ250 smoker and I love everything about it except it’s cornering. I feel like I sometimes struggle to get the front end into a rut and other times I have a problem with the front end riding out of a rut. If that makes sense. I have the stock triple clamps on currently (25mm offset?). I was looking at various brands like Applied, Ride Engineering and also found these Neken clamps. The neken clamps are for a 14-18 yz250f but what I like is there 22mm offset which is what will help sharpen the steering up. I’ve thought about sliding the forks up in the clamps but I don’t want to loose straight line stability. Wondering if this will fix my problem or if I just need a better technique haha.

Here’s a picture of what I mean when I say it’s “riding out of the rut”
Photo

Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

2/9/2018 4:53 PM

Your stock clamps are indeed 25mm offset. A 22mm offset will help a lot with your cornering issues; I made the change on my personal bike and it was a huge improvement with minimal effect on high speed stability. Pretty sure most manufacturers offer the 22mm offset in clamps that will fit your bike, in fact that's all we plan on offering for the YZ's barring any custom requests.

https://luxonmx.com/products-triple-clamps.html
(it says pre-order only for Yamaha, but we do have one blue set in stock that fits your bike)

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

2/10/2018 5:31 AM

From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear shock and takes the weight off of the front tire(this also makes using the throttle or brake make much more drastic weight transfers). So when you are turning the back end is still trying to go straight while the wheel is turned causing a pushing effect thus the front tire slides/pushes out. rather than if you were sitting further up on the seat the weight gets spread out more evenly with a bit more weight on the front than the rear now when you turn the wheel the tire bites and the entire bike follows also less drastic energy/weight transfers when throttle or brake is applied. There are about 20 other things to add on top of this when cornering but starting with a base getting in the habit of moving up in the seat is a good start and then you can add in the upper body, foot and leg placements , weighting etc. . Not saying form is always your issue and clamps wouldn’t help but it’s $400 cheaper to move your butt forward on the seat than to buy clamps (But if you’ve got the cash buy them anyway they look super Rad)

|

2/10/2018 6:02 AM

hancock138 wrote:

From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear ...more

That makes sense. I’ve been trying to slide up further on the tank in corners but it’s a habit to stay where I’m at. It just feels more comfortable for me. Something I’ll have to work on

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

2/10/2018 8:56 AM

I personally wouldnt mess with the offset. Keep is where its at and play with the sag and moving the forks up in the triple clamps.

|

2/10/2018 10:19 AM

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange.

You can press the stems out of the clamps and swap them to accomplish the same thing for around $150.

I would double check what the offset is on the four strokes though.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

2/10/2018 11:44 AM

TrailDigger wrote:

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange.

You can ...more

Most of the newer four strokes are indeed 22mm offset (except for 2016 models which were 25mm, but that only lasted for that year and they went back to 22mm). The issue is that the steering stem is different on the four strokes by 5mm (shorter), and the top clamp fork tube diameter is 2mm too small for the pre-2015 two strokes. Additional issues are the different front fender bolt pattern and different brake line guide.

All that said, it can certainly be done but you'll need a good machinist to bore out the upper triple clamp 2mm, press out and switch steering stems, go with the new fender style, and buy a new brake line clamp.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

2/10/2018 1:33 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

You can ...more

Luxon MX wrote:

Most of the newer four strokes are indeed 22mm offset (except for 2016 models which were 25mm, but that only lasted for that ...more

Yeah that’s what I heard; wasn’t sure on the years though. Are pre-2011 clamps 22mm offset? I know they work from 06- I “think” 2010, but I don’t know when the cut off is.

|

2/11/2018 7:01 AM

So maybe find a set of triple clamps for a 14,15,17 or 18 yz250f would be the cheaper route. Thanks guys

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

2/12/2018 3:10 AM

eric513anderson wrote:

So maybe find a set of triple clamps for a 14,15,17 or 18 yz250f would be the cheaper route. Thanks guys

You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after pressing the stem.

|

2/12/2018 3:32 AM

eric513anderson wrote:

TrailDigger wrote:

You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after ...more

Gotcha I forgot that one. Thanks for the help!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10