YZ triple clamps

2/9/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2021 12:03pm
So I’ve been doing some reading and thinking a different triple clamp offset might help me out. I’m riding a 2011 YZ250 smoker and I love everything about it except it’s cornering. I feel like I sometimes struggle to get the front end into a rut and other times I have a problem with the front end riding out of a rut. If that makes sense. I have the stock triple clamps on currently (25mm offset?). I was looking at various brands like Applied, Ride Engineering and also found these Neken clamps. The neken clamps are for a 14-18 yz250f but what I like is there 22mm offset which is what will help sharpen the steering up. I’ve thought about sliding the forks up in the clamps but I don’t want to loose straight line stability. Wondering if this will fix my problem or if I just need a better technique haha.

Here’s a picture of what I mean when I say it’s “riding out of the rut”

|
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
2/9/2018 4:53pm
Your stock clamps are indeed 25mm offset. A 22mm offset will help a lot with your cornering issues; I made the change on my personal bike and it was a huge improvement with minimal effect on high speed stability. Pretty sure most manufacturers offer the 22mm offset in clamps that will fit your bike, in fact that's all we plan on offering for the YZ's barring any custom requests.

https://luxonmx.com/products-triple-clamps.html
(it says pre-order only for Yamaha, but we do have one blue set in stock that fits your bike)
2/10/2018 5:31am
From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear shock and takes the weight off of the front tire(this also makes using the throttle or brake make much more drastic weight transfers). So when you are turning the back end is still trying to go straight while the wheel is turned causing a pushing effect thus the front tire slides/pushes out. rather than if you were sitting further up on the seat the weight gets spread out more evenly with a bit more weight on the front than the rear now when you turn the wheel the tire bites and the entire bike follows also less drastic energy/weight transfers when throttle or brake is applied. There are about 20 other things to add on top of this when cornering but starting with a base getting in the habit of moving up in the seat is a good start and then you can add in the upper body, foot and leg placements , weighting etc. . Not saying form is always your issue and clamps wouldn’t help but it’s $400 cheaper to move your butt forward on the seat than to buy clamps (But if you’ve got the cash buy them anyway they look super Rad)
2/10/2018 6:02am
hancock138 wrote:
From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear shock...
From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear shock and takes the weight off of the front tire(this also makes using the throttle or brake make much more drastic weight transfers). So when you are turning the back end is still trying to go straight while the wheel is turned causing a pushing effect thus the front tire slides/pushes out. rather than if you were sitting further up on the seat the weight gets spread out more evenly with a bit more weight on the front than the rear now when you turn the wheel the tire bites and the entire bike follows also less drastic energy/weight transfers when throttle or brake is applied. There are about 20 other things to add on top of this when cornering but starting with a base getting in the habit of moving up in the seat is a good start and then you can add in the upper body, foot and leg placements , weighting etc. . Not saying form is always your issue and clamps wouldn’t help but it’s $400 cheaper to move your butt forward on the seat than to buy clamps (But if you’ve got the cash buy them anyway they look super Rad)
That makes sense. I’ve been trying to slide up further on the tank in corners but it’s a habit to stay where I’m at. It just feels more comfortable for me. Something I’ll have to work on
Moto520
2/10/2018 8:56am
I personally wouldnt mess with the offset. Keep is where its at and play with the sag and moving the forks up in the triple clamps.

The Shop

2/10/2018 10:19am
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange.

You can press the stems out of the clamps and swap them to accomplish the same thing for around $150.

I would double check what the offset is on the four strokes though.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
2/10/2018 11:44am
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange. You can press the stems...
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange.

You can press the stems out of the clamps and swap them to accomplish the same thing for around $150.

Most of the newer four strokes are indeed 22mm offset (except for 2016 models which were 25mm, but that only lasted for that year and they went back to 22mm). The issue is that the steering stem is different on the four strokes by 5mm (shorter), and the top clamp fork tube diameter is 2mm too small for the pre-2015 two strokes. Additional issues are the different front fender bolt pattern and different brake line guide.

All that said, it can certainly be done but you'll need a good machinist to bore out the upper triple clamp 2mm, press out and switch steering stems, go with the new fender style, and buy a new brake line clamp.
2/10/2018 1:33pm
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe all YZF clamps are 22mm, up to recent years where they don’t interchange. You can press the stems...

Luxon MX wrote:
Most of the newer four strokes are indeed 22mm offset (except for 2016 models which were 25mm, but that only lasted for that year and they...
Most of the newer four strokes are indeed 22mm offset (except for 2016 models which were 25mm, but that only lasted for that year and they went back to 22mm). The issue is that the steering stem is different on the four strokes by 5mm (shorter), and the top clamp fork tube diameter is 2mm too small for the pre-2015 two strokes. Additional issues are the different front fender bolt pattern and different brake line guide.

All that said, it can certainly be done but you'll need a good machinist to bore out the upper triple clamp 2mm, press out and switch steering stems, go with the new fender style, and buy a new brake line clamp.
Yeah that’s what I heard; wasn’t sure on the years though. Are pre-2011 clamps 22mm offset? I know they work from 06- I “think” 2010, but I don’t know when the cut off is.
2/11/2018 7:01am
So maybe find a set of triple clamps for a 14,15,17 or 18 yz250f would be the cheaper route. Thanks guys
2/12/2018 3:10am
So maybe find a set of triple clamps for a 14,15,17 or 18 yz250f would be the cheaper route. Thanks guys
You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after pressing the stem.
2/12/2018 3:32am
You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after pressing...
You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after pressing the stem.
Gotcha I forgot that one. Thanks for the help!
Grouper
12/11/2021 7:56pm
You do need to bore them though. If the pre-14 clamps are 22mm offset, I’d use those since they will be a direct fit after pressing...
I'm resurrecting this because I'm wanting to experiment with some 22mm offset clamps on my YZ250.

I am looking for some clarity on this. Can anyone confidently state which clamps fit with what?
I don't mind having the tops machined, but direct fit would be nice (aside from the stem press).

I want to keep 2 sets of clamps to go back and forth if I want. Any help is appreciated.
12/12/2021 9:59am
I don't think you'll ever want to go back to the 25mm clamps after you try the 22mm. Cheapest way to go to 22mm clamps would be to get these; Luxon then get a set of used "F" 22mm bottoms and press your YZ stem into them.

If turning is your issue, then I've been telling guys with YZ250's to set their sag where they like the rear suspension feel. Anything over 100-103mm of rear sag take it out of the front. So, if you set your sag to 105mm then slide the forks up 5mm in the clamps. If you like 107mm then slide the forks up 7mm in the clamp. You can do this up to about 10mm. If you want to run more than 110mm of rear sag then you have other issues.

This is all assuming that you have decent balance on your current suspension set-up. If you weigh 200# and you are on the stock rear spring then that's more of your problem turning than clamp offset and new clamps aren't going to fix it.

BTW: The YZ250X has a steeper steering head angle as do the 125's.
Karlsrad
12/12/2021 11:54am
I have a set of ride engineerings 23.5 offset clamps, also comes with rubber bar mounts. One of the best purchase I’ve made for this bike. Makes the bike turn in better and still confident at high speed. Still doesn’t corner as well as my crf, but it’s closer now. I can stay in ruts better, and I feel like I have better grip with the front tire.
Karlsrad
12/12/2021 12:01pm
hancock138 wrote:
From that photo I can tell you that your front end is coming out because you are sitting too far back which loads the rear shock...
I agree, I’ve noticed yz are very sensitive to rider placement, to turn correctly. I could almost be lazy with my technique on my crf and it would turn in consistently.
12/12/2021 3:17pm
Damn old thread back from the dead! I ended up getting a set of Ride Engineering 23.5mm clamps for my YZ on a Black Friday sale last year (2020) along with the yellow cones and bar mount. Best mod to my bike yet!! I feel it leans into ruts great and follows through them. I feel stable at speed and at lean in. Front end bite is improved and honestly it feels pretty close to my ‘18 YZ 250F in the corners. Im so glad I got these.
Merry Christmas to me!!

First ride of 2021

12/12/2021 4:23pm
I'm going to have to start paying more attention to the dates on these threads. Laughing
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1775th
12/12/2021 7:25pm
I'm going to have to start paying more attention to the dates on these threads. Laughing
LOL you nailed it though.

Anyone still looking, the Luxon close out upper clamp and a stock 450F lower is the cheapest way into a set of 22* clamps.
Grouper
12/13/2021 7:19am
I don't think you'll ever want to go back to the 25mm clamps after you try the 22mm. Cheapest way to go to 22mm clamps would...
I don't think you'll ever want to go back to the 25mm clamps after you try the 22mm. Cheapest way to go to 22mm clamps would be to get these; Luxon then get a set of used "F" 22mm bottoms and press your YZ stem into them.

If turning is your issue, then I've been telling guys with YZ250's to set their sag where they like the rear suspension feel. Anything over 100-103mm of rear sag take it out of the front. So, if you set your sag to 105mm then slide the forks up 5mm in the clamps. If you like 107mm then slide the forks up 7mm in the clamp. You can do this up to about 10mm. If you want to run more than 110mm of rear sag then you have other issues.

This is all assuming that you have decent balance on your current suspension set-up. If you weigh 200# and you are on the stock rear spring then that's more of your problem turning than clamp offset and new clamps aren't going to fix it.

Thanks for the reply. Specifically though, why do I need that luxon top? If I can get a YZ450f set for 150 and the machine work is free, what should prevent me from doing that? What else will I need? Since posting that I have narrowed down that it appears that clamps from 2010-current YZ450f's will fit if you can get the top clamp worked out. Plus this will prevent me from having to have mismatched clamp colors lol.
12/13/2021 8:22am
I don't think you'll ever want to go back to the 25mm clamps after you try the 22mm. Cheapest way to go to 22mm clamps would...

Grouper wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Specifically though, why do I need that luxon top? If I can get a YZ450f set for 150 and the machine work...
Thanks for the reply. Specifically though, why do I need that luxon top? If I can get a YZ450f set for 150 and the machine work is free, what should prevent me from doing that? What else will I need? Since posting that I have narrowed down that it appears that clamps from 2010-current YZ450f's will fit if you can get the top clamp worked out. Plus this will prevent me from having to have mismatched clamp colors lol.
You could always have them powder coated. That’s what I did with my stock set

Heck I even did my ‘18 250F clamps too
Grouper
12/13/2021 8:54am

Grouper wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Specifically though, why do I need that luxon top? If I can get a YZ450f set for 150 and the machine work...
You could always have them powder coated. That’s what I did with my stock set [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/13/522674/s1200_96F480CE_0808_4438_B021_6DFFB6B19DF4.jpg[/img] Heck I even did my ‘18 250F clamps too [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/13/522675/s1200_55A8E291_F374_408A_9431_F37D91278E67.jpg[/img]

Looks awesome. What were your color coat order?

I don't mind doing that really but it's just added cost I could live without. I would be interested in painting them but I don't see that holding up. Nothing worse than a ghetto looking bike.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1775th
12/13/2021 9:35am

Grouper wrote:
My notes say 2010-2015 YZ450F are 22* clamps, but the upper clamping area is 54mm. The stem is also the incorrect length.

Clamping area is 56mm upper and 59mm lower for the 2 strokes.

The Luxon are beautiful, super light, superior bar mount setup (rubber mounted) , Ti hardware and bolt on correct diameter for 2-strokes. Billy the owner, is also awesome and a great asset to the forum with his tech posts.

I bought a 450F lower for practically nothing, combined with the Luxon upper it's the cheapest way to try out the offset change. I bought a "clear" upper, and vapor blasted/shaved the casting line off the stock 450F lower to clean it up.
MaxPower
12/13/2021 11:13am
Do what it takes to get whatever clamps have less offset. To me it totally changes the feel. It makes a great bike greater
Grouper
12/13/2021 11:27am

Grouper wrote:
UGOTBIT wrote:
My notes say 2010-2015 YZ450F are 22* clamps, but the upper clamping area is 54mm. The stem is also the incorrect length. Clamping area is 56mm...
My notes say 2010-2015 YZ450F are 22* clamps, but the upper clamping area is 54mm. The stem is also the incorrect length.

Clamping area is 56mm upper and 59mm lower for the 2 strokes.

The Luxon are beautiful, super light, superior bar mount setup (rubber mounted) , Ti hardware and bolt on correct diameter for 2-strokes. Billy the owner, is also awesome and a great asset to the forum with his tech posts.

I bought a 450F lower for practically nothing, combined with the Luxon upper it's the cheapest way to try out the offset change. I bought a "clear" upper, and vapor blasted/shaved the casting line off the stock 450F lower to clean it up.
I keep seeing that the Luxon is the cheapest way but I have my hands on a set of 22mm offset for a 450 for about 120 shipped. I will need these regardless. I can just bore the YZ clamps to fit; why do I need the Luxons?

As far as the 450 clamps go, I'll just re press the stem and bore the top clamp and be good to go though, right? I even see some users on TT that don't even swap stems. They seem to be close enough in length. I'll change the stems though.
Grouper
12/13/2021 11:28am
MaxPower wrote:
Do what it takes to get whatever clamps have less offset. To me it totally changes the feel. It makes a great bike greater
What route did you go?
Grouper
12/13/2021 11:43am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2021 11:44am
These look like a winner. I'm just trying not to throw money away by purchasing the wrong thing. I'm also not trying to throw money away by purchasing anything unnecessarily nice. The change is in the offset, I'm not concerned about the rigidity or looks or any other parameters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141712294611?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I also found some '22 in brand new condition for like 155 on mx locker.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
12/13/2021 11:56am
Grouper wrote:
These look like a winner. I'm just trying not to throw money away by purchasing the wrong thing. I'm also not trying to throw money away...
These look like a winner. I'm just trying not to throw money away by purchasing the wrong thing. I'm also not trying to throw money away by purchasing anything unnecessarily nice. The change is in the offset, I'm not concerned about the rigidity or looks or any other parameters.

Yamaha made everything triple clamp related difficult for some reason. Steering stem lengths are different depending on what bike you have and upper clamp diameters are different too. Offsets are also different depending on the year. Everything 2006+ has a spread between fork tubes of 192mm, prior to that it was 190mm, so if you have a modern bike, make sure you're looking at 2006+ clamps.

You can see which bikes used what on our website under Bike Fitment and the additional info tab:
https://www.luxonmx.com/product-luxon-yamaha-triple-clamps-gen2.html

I don't have data for anything before 2012 on the four strokes, though, so I'm not sure the 2011 clamps are 22mm offset or not. If you find a set of 22mm offset four stroke clamps, you'll need to bore out the top clamp an additional 2mm in diameter and swap the stem from your two stroke.

If you don't have access to a machine shop for the boring, our closeout top clamp is the easiest route forward, but it won't match the bottom clamp, of course.
Grouper
12/13/2021 12:03pm
Grouper wrote:
These look like a winner. I'm just trying not to throw money away by purchasing the wrong thing. I'm also not trying to throw money away...

Luxon MX wrote:
Yamaha made everything triple clamp related difficult for some reason. Steering stem lengths are different depending on what bike you have and upper clamp diameters are...
Yamaha made everything triple clamp related difficult for some reason. Steering stem lengths are different depending on what bike you have and upper clamp diameters are different too. Offsets are also different depending on the year. Everything 2006+ has a spread between fork tubes of 192mm, prior to that it was 190mm, so if you have a modern bike, make sure you're looking at 2006+ clamps.

You can see which bikes used what on our website under Bike Fitment and the additional info tab:
https://www.luxonmx.com/product-luxon-yamaha-triple-clamps-gen2.html

I don't have data for anything before 2012 on the four strokes, though, so I'm not sure the 2011 clamps are 22mm offset or not. If you find a set of 22mm offset four stroke clamps, you'll need to bore out the top clamp an additional 2mm in diameter and swap the stem from your two stroke.

If you don't have access to a machine shop for the boring, our closeout top clamp is the easiest route forward, but it won't match the bottom clamp, of course.
I wish I could give you more thumbs up than just the one. Thanks, Billy!
12/13/2021 1:47pm
Grouper wrote:
You could always have them powder coated. That’s what I did with my stock set [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/13/522674/s1200_96F480CE_0808_4438_B021_6DFFB6B19DF4.jpg[/img] Heck I even did my ‘18 250F clamps too [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/13/522675/s1200_55A8E291_F374_408A_9431_F37D91278E67.jpg[/img]

Grouper wrote:
Looks awesome. What were your color coat order? I don't mind doing that really but it's just added cost I could live without. I would be...
Looks awesome. What were your color coat order?

I don't mind doing that really but it's just added cost I could live without. I would be interested in painting them but I don't see that holding up. Nothing worse than a ghetto looking bike.
It’s fairly inexpensive to do. A guy I used to work with owns a shop next town over and I think he only charged me like $40. The first color I can’t remember what it was but the dark blue is Illusion Royal from Prismatic Powders. They have a TON of colors on their website
Grouper
12/13/2021 6:36pm
Worlds biggest genius here got YZ450f clamps and no bar mounts. Does anyone have any solutions? Can I use the ones off of my YZ250 as solid mounts until I decide what rubber mounts to run? Some wisdom would be appreciated (:

Post a reply to: YZ triple clamps

The Latest