YZ 450 popping

lcgordon711
I have a 2014 yz450 and like an idiot I ran out of gas on the track. I have not done that in so long I'm always so careful but yeah I did. Anyways it seems like after that happened it started popping just a bit. It seems like it happens exiting corners when I'm kinda on the gas but maybe chopping the throttle some, like on and off of it really quickly because I'm in a deep rut or something.

Anyways does this sound like something relating to running out of fuel. Honestly I don't know anything about fuel injection. I wish I could just get a new bike with a carb. Would it maybe be a fuel filter clogged or something.

The popping is not bad at all I rode in mud Saturday and it seemed worse because I was going way slower. Sunday it was not bad at all.

I tried googling this but only thing that comes up is I put a new pipe on and now it is popping.
|
Paw Paw 271
5/7/2018 9:08am
Anytime you run out of gas with an EFI bike is it very hard on the fuel pump as the impeller is plastic and uses the fuel in the tank to keep it cool. If it get hot ( like when it's run out of gas) it can warp. It can also pull up trash in the tank. I would suggest pulling the pump and see if you can flush it out. The injector may have also picked up some dirt and may need to be cleaned.

Paw Paw
lcgordon711
5/7/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 10:05am
Thank you for that. I knew right when it happened I screwed up and was very mad at myself. Do you know if there is a way to replace the fan, or how to tell if it is warped? I will need to research how to flush it and how to clean injectors. I have no clue. It seemed to run pretty much fine though for probably 3 hrs of ride time after the incident so hopefully nothing is too badly messed up. Fuel pumps are 300 buck. A lot more expensive than a new jet haha.

edit so is cleaning the injectors looks like I have to buy the motion pro injector cleaner for 130 bucks? Is there a cheaper way to do it?

can I replace the fuel pump, pump portion with something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-30mm-Intank-Fits-Yamaha-Motorcycle-Y…
lcgordon711
5/7/2018 11:26am
I will say that it runs really well. The popping was very hard to notice. Made me think it always did it but not sure.
Paw Paw 271
5/7/2018 2:12pm
Harbor Freight sell an Ultri sound cleaner for a few bucks and it works great cleaning injectors.

Paw Paw

The Shop

lcgordon711
5/7/2018 2:20pm
cool thanks I will try that. What would be a good liquid to use? A member on here has a lightly used fuel pump for 125 obo so I think I will just buy that for the peace of mind and try to clean the injector.
lcgordon711
5/7/2018 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 6:16pm
Thanks it’s a bummer the guy sold the pump. Is there a way to figure out if the pump is bad? If I clean the injector and it runs good but then the fan breaks on a jump or something, that’s what worries me. Would you guys just buy a new pump?

Post a reply to: YZ 450 popping

The Latest