YZ 250 not gettin gas. HELP!

slashyz250
Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 9:23pm
Hi this is my first post so sorry for any mistakes...

So my yz 250 was pulling strong the last time a road it. we went for a little pit ride so I would ride for 30-45 min then rest then go again and so on.. one of the time the bike started then stalled, after that I was only able to start it with choke pulled out and when I would of put it in the bike would stall. did that 4-5 times, then gave like 5-10 good throttle twist, disengage the choke and the bike was good for the day.

now my real problem

one week after that(yesterday) I tried to start the bike and, nothing it was late so I just let the bike there. this morning I check the spark plug it sparked red orangeish (is it supposed to be blue??) I put some gas directly to the cylinder and it started. I took the air filter out to see if the filter was the problem, tried a few kicks and nothing. so I know my problem is gas not getting to the engine. I pulled the carb out of the bike and there was gas in the air intake dont know if thats normal??

I only had that bike for 8 hrs and its a used bike, carb float bows screws were all striped so ill try to get those out tomorrow.

basically does anyone knows what could be causing this? any tips is appreciated thanks

Im french and I know I made a lot of mistakes sorry .:p
|
5/2/2017 5:39pm
Take a screw driver and knock the side of the bowl, your float could be stuck.
Paw Paw 271
5/2/2017 7:07pm
It sounds like you have a few problems.
1. Sounds like old gas left in the carb. This has allowed the pilot jet to clog and may have also created some trash in the main jet as well. Remove and clean the carb in a good carb soak cleaner and then clean each jet. Reset the float height. Make sure the float needle is clean.
2. The spark not good. I would suggest cleaning the coil connections and mounts as there most likely will be rust and dried dirt there. Also remove the plug cap, cut the wire 1/4" and reinstall. Now check you r spark color. If still not Bright Blue you will need to do an ohms test on the coil and the stator.
3. Get rid of that old gas mix and start fresh. Never leave fuel in the carb for more than a couple of days.

Paw Paw
5/2/2017 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/2/2017 9:02pm
It sounds like you have a few problems. 1. Sounds like old gas left in the carb. This has allowed the pilot jet to clog and...
It sounds like you have a few problems.
1. Sounds like old gas left in the carb. This has allowed the pilot jet to clog and may have also created some trash in the main jet as well. Remove and clean the carb in a good carb soak cleaner and then clean each jet. Reset the float height. Make sure the float needle is clean.
2. The spark not good. I would suggest cleaning the coil connections and mounts as there most likely will be rust and dried dirt there. Also remove the plug cap, cut the wire 1/4" and reinstall. Now check you r spark color. If still not Bright Blue you will need to do an ohms test on the coil and the stator.
3. Get rid of that old gas mix and start fresh. Never leave fuel in the carb for more than a couple of days.

Paw Paw
Do what Paw suggests and besides checking the electrical connections and using electrical grease, also disconnect the kill button and see if that helps.
slashyz250
5/3/2017 3:52am
alright thanks for the revies guys, il disconect my killswitch and clean the coil mount tonight also gonna give a good clean to the carb and set the float right, ill let you know. Smile

The Shop

captmoto
5/3/2017 9:49am
Replace your fuel line too. I had a 99 YZ400 and the fuel line broke down on the inside and that clogged the pilot circuit so bad I couldn't clean. I took it to a dealer that could hot tank the carb. There was gooey, gummy black crap that came out of the crab when the mechanic blew it out.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/3/2017 10:25am
While you have everything apart I would suggest checking the little filter on the petcock to make sure its clean and in good shape. You don't want to have any issues down the line. Just make sure its clean and not falling apart.
slashyz250
5/3/2017 10:32am

matty hamz- will chek that filter thx.

captmoto - I have good flow from the fuel line, you are reffering to the pipe from the petcock to the carb right?
slashyz250
5/3/2017 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2017 1:06pm

so I opened the carb, and cleand every jet, I couldnt get the air screw out wich was weird but I didnt bother with it too much. every thing was clean the float was a little too low so I raised it. only thing looking weird is the brown ish color on every thing thats brass, is that normal? next cheking the petcock filter and after that Ill do something about the fire sparking red.
slashyz250
5/3/2017 2:13pm

I cut the spark plug wire about 1/4, I think that this has been done before because im almost out of cable now... Ill probably get another coil so I wont mind cleaning it. checked the petcock filter and it was really clean.
slashyz250
5/4/2017 9:59am
Ill chek them tonight Ill need to replace my gasket tho right?
5/4/2017 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2017 9:23pm
You do realize that the pilot jet blockage is usually thru the center of the jet (like the main jet) NOT the side ports. And what you see is pretty much standard varnish from old gas, the carbs need a good cleaning (carb dip).
slashyz250
5/5/2017 4:17am
squid steer- reed valves were good.
xnationalwrench- ok ill get one of those brake cleaner baskets, the pic of the pilot jet was there to let you see the brown ish color.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
5/5/2017 5:05pm
I'd be real careful with dipping that carb. Some dips are too strong and will degrade the rubber parts. In particular, there are 3 rubber seals on that carb that are basically impossible to source and replace. The rubber tip on the power-jet solenoid, the o-ring under the pressed in needle seat, and worst of all, the special D-shaped o-ring under the jet-block.

The tip of the solenoid is literally a piece of rubber the size of a match head but it cannot be purchased separately. You have to buy the whole solenoid which is not cheap.

The pressed in needle seat is not sold. There are some out there that are "close" but info is sketchy as to whether they work correct on this carb.

The D-shaped o-ring under the jet-block is impossible to find. It is not the same as the ones on the aftermarket PWK's sold by Sudco, JD Jetting, etc. and I have not been able to find it anywhere. If you wreck that o-ring the carb is basically a very expensive paperweight.
slashyz250
5/15/2017 3:24pm
oh ok thx wond tip it then ahah, sorry for late response got lot of things going on and didint had any time to work on my bike all aeek!
slashyz250
5/24/2017 4:45am
I pulled the carb out again cleaned it again and now it starts first kick... gonna see what I can do about the spark but for now the big probleme is out.
tanks every one really apreciate this community!!!

Post a reply to: YZ 250 not gettin gas. HELP!

The Latest