YZ 125 Fork Guard Conversion

DaBaum44
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2018 3:32pm
I'm in the process of building a 2003 YZ 125 and I'm wanting to convert the fork guards from the older style (have clamps around the forks) to the newer style with no plastic clamps around the fork leg. I lined up fork guards from a 2017 YZ250F and they are way off.

Has anyone ever done this conversion on an 02-04 YZ125 or YZ250?

|
chillrich
6/9/2018 11:33am
Sometime between 2006 and 2014 the fork lugs were changed. It is possible but unlikely the older (2006-?) fork guards will fit.
DaBaum44
6/9/2018 12:20pm
chillrich wrote:
Sometime between 2006 and 2014 the fork lugs were changed. It is possible but unlikely the older (2006-?) fork guards will fit.
Thanks. The lugs are definitely a different shape, but I saw a few other YZ's on here with the style I'm looking for. I wish Cycra or UFO would make an updated fork guard for the older generation YZ's.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/9/2018 2:22pm
chillrich wrote:
DaBaum44 wrote:
Thanks. The lugs are definitely a different shape, but I saw a few other YZ's on here with the style I'm looking for. I wish Cycra...
Thanks. The lugs are definitely a different shape, but I saw a few other YZ's on here with the style I'm looking for. I wish Cycra or UFO would make an updated fork guard for the older generation YZ's.
That would be so nice
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/9/2018 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 2:58pm
As I recall, the guards are stiff enough that you don't need the guides clamped on the legs. People used to just remove them back in the day. I'd be more worried about that brake hose not being secured to the guard. When doing the CR routing conversion like that I think guys used to cut those 2 hoops off and then there was an aftermarket clamp to hold the hose to the guard.

Check this. Litespeed used to make guards to eliminate the clamps and do the brake conversion.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/03-YZ-Lightspeed-Fork-Gu…

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
6/9/2018 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 3:15pm
For your 2017 guards you will need 2008+ fork lugs. That is when they changed to that bolt pattern. I had a 2005 and even it was a different pattern from the 03 you are showing. The 05-08 is bolt on side one bolt 90 degrees from that one on the front, and another one 90 from that one on the other side of the fork guard. Pain to reach that last bolt.

The 08+ went to one on the side then one about 45 degree around, and another 45 degree where you can reach it from the front of the guard.

If the lower fork tube is same dia. And thread then you could change the fork lugs. But that may also mean new axle dia. Which would mean a new hub. Your brake caliper should work with the new lug but in 08 they came with a lighter and stronger caliper, you could also fit a Honda caliper for super strong brakes!
DaBaum44
6/9/2018 3:23pm
FGR01 wrote:
As I recall, the guards are stiff enough that you don't need the guides clamped on the legs. People used to just remove them back in...
As I recall, the guards are stiff enough that you don't need the guides clamped on the legs. People used to just remove them back in the day. I'd be more worried about that brake hose not being secured to the guard. When doing the CR routing conversion like that I think guys used to cut those 2 hoops off and then there was an aftermarket clamp to hold the hose to the guard.

Check this. Litespeed used to make guards to eliminate the clamps and do the brake conversion.

Might have to research the clamp you mentioned, otherwise I'll use the stock style. If Lightspeed had those fork guards in blue or black I'd be all over it.
Alec138
6/10/2018 8:26am
Why not just do the sss fork swap if you are really serious about wanting new style. I just did a 2015 conversion and bought the same year fork guards as the bike and literally no one notices.
DaBaum44
6/10/2018 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2018 1:42pm
Alec138 wrote:
Why not just do the sss fork swap if you are really serious about wanting new style. I just did a 2015 conversion and bought the...
Why not just do the sss fork swap if you are really serious about wanting new style. I just did a 2015 conversion and bought the same year fork guards as the bike and literally no one notices.
I haven't ridden the bike enough to justify a fork swap. Just wanted to improve the looks while I'm doing graphics. That is a good idea though, and I'll keep that in mind. Did you have to swap wheel sets, axles, or clamps for the conversion?
Alec138
6/11/2018 2:16pm
Alec138 wrote:
Why not just do the sss fork swap if you are really serious about wanting new style. I just did a 2015 conversion and bought the...
DaBaum44 wrote:
I haven't ridden the bike enough to justify a fork swap. Just wanted to improve the looks while I'm doing graphics. That is a good idea...
I haven't ridden the bike enough to justify a fork swap. Just wanted to improve the looks while I'm doing graphics. That is a good idea though, and I'll keep that in mind. Did you have to swap wheel sets, axles, or clamps for the conversion?
Yeah you have to do the wheel/axle too since your bike is older you may need triples as well? If you are serious look for 06+ yz parts bikes. I bought the whole front end off a guy on craigslist to use as a backup set of forks. All bearings are shot but he sold me wheel, steering stem, triples top and bottom, forks for like $300. I have a 10’ yz btw.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/13/2018 3:32pm
FGR01 wrote:
As I recall, the guards are stiff enough that you don't need the guides clamped on the legs. People used to just remove them back in...

The fork guards are stiff enough, for sure. They will eventually rub holes in your dust seals if you don't run the plastic guides, however. (Not enough to make the seal fail, but enough that you'll notice it when washing the bike!)

I used to cut one of the hoops off completely, then trim the other one so it was like a bracket sticking up from the fork guard. Then drilled two holes and used the hose clamp from the bottom of the fork leg with some nylock nuts on the screws to secure the hose to the fork guard.

Post a reply to: YZ 125 Fork Guard Conversion

The Latest