Worn clutch basket help?

Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 5:34pm
Just had my clutch out to put a new apico one because the RM 125 2008 was making a clunk and a small jolt when shifting from neutral to first and was told it could be a warped plate or a worn basket but not sure what a worn basket looks like. How does this look?

|
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
2/6/2019 1:11pm
The outer basket looks notched and worn to the point where I’d say you need to replace it. Otherwise performance will suffer and you will likely have issues with the clutch not properly engaging or disengaging. A trademark sign of worn basket is the grooves you see on the basket’s fingers. The inner hub looks OK but you didn’t really get a good pic of it. Try Pro X for replacement parts, OEM Suzuki parts are always expensive. If you want a bullet proof set up, go with a billet basket.

Here’s a decent article that you may want to check out for more info on clutch maintenance & problems.
https://www.diymotofix.com/blog/how-to-properly-inspect-a-clutch
2/6/2019 1:19pm
Cheers mate, I’m supposed to be going out Sunday on a track, I’ve only just started and won’t exactly be putting it through it’s paces, do you think it will be ok for one more ride or should I avoid it?
Paw Paw 271
2/6/2019 2:02pm
You do stand a chance that you will break a fiber plate if this worn basket is used.

Paw Paw

The Shop

sandman768
2/9/2019 7:37am
Replace every clutch part you can while it’s apart....it’s a Suzuki, the clutch”s start slipping while your loading it up, new from the dealer floor....... seriously....run your finger over the surfaces of the pressure plate & inner hub, any ridges or grooves, they should be replaced..... basket, notches on the tangs, it should be replaced....Might as well replace the push rod while your in there and the plates & spr8ngs will surely be smoked....as a life long clutch abuser, I never met a Suzuki that didn’t like all new clutch parts....
CPR
2/11/2019 3:49am
Yes clutch basket is worn but I've seen worse.....If you're just going to ride for fun and aren't a gun, or not rich, it'll last a little longer.
Advisable to file down the grooves on the basket so the plates don't catch and to extend it's life until you can afford a new clutch and it's convenient to change it.
KTM#88
2/11/2019 5:34pm
Worst thing you could of done is fitted an apico clutch, those things are terrible

Post a reply to: Worn clutch basket help?

The Latest