Wiseco Clutch Replacement Kickstarter Gear Issue

vorwan
Edited Date/Time 6/3/2020 9:33am
I am in the middle of replacing my clutch on a 1998 KX250. I ran into an issue of getting the Kickstarter gear back into the new basket. I heated up the basket as the instructions state for 15 mins at 400 degrees. I put the gear into the new basket, and it only slid halfway before getting stuck. Is there any advice on how to get it the rest of the way in or out without damaging the new basket? I have read some info on using a blow torch evenly, but I don't have super easy access to it. Any other options???? Thanks!
|
Paul_Pitzonka
6/2/2020 10:50am
Heat the basket back up in an oven or equivalent... gear should fall out with a light tap... then freeze the gear and heat the basket It will drop right in...
6/2/2020 10:57am
If you can take the gear back out I would heat the basket for longer and put the gear in the freezer for longer before install. If you wait long enough the gear will literally slide in all the way no problem. Have to do it quick or else it wont work.

If not, rest the basket on some wood, find a socket roughly the same size as the gear, some cloth inbetween (prevent scratches) and hammer it in.

Good luck!

vorwan
6/3/2020 9:33am
Thanks guys! I got it to work. Ended up using the hammer method, unfortunately, but I didn't seem to damage anything as the clutch is running nice and smooth!

Post a reply to: Wiseco Clutch Replacement Kickstarter Gear Issue

The Latest