Winter storage non heated garage

So for the first time I'll have to store my bike in a non heated garage , I drained the fuel system and cleaned out the throttle body etc etc my only thing I'm not sure on is do I drain my coolent and replace it with anti-freeze or can I just drain the coolent and leave it till the spring
|
11/29/2017 6:00pm
So for the first time I'll have to store my bike in a non heated garage , I drained the fuel system and cleaned out the...
So for the first time I'll have to store my bike in a non heated garage , I drained the fuel system and cleaned out the throttle body etc etc my only thing I'm not sure on is do I drain my coolent and replace it with anti-freeze or can I just drain the coolent and leave it till the spring
How cold does it get there? I’d imagine a 100% propylene glycol antifreeze would be fine as long as it’s rated for sub zero temps. Drain it out in spring and mix half of it with distilled water for the season.
ktm-5
11/29/2017 11:32pm
I wouldn't drain the gas, I always fill the tank with non ethanol so there is no room for moisture to build and if it's a 4s it's not good for fuel pump to dry out. Engine ice would be fine all winter and summer. I've also heard of some guys who spray their entire bike with wd40 also
beamer
12/1/2017 8:42am
Some different views for sure, for me, living in Manitoba, over the years I have always drained fuel and test the freezing point of the coolant. Drained the float bowl also on my 2 strokes. Replace trans oil with fresh and put in on a stand in the shed. It's worked for me, never a problem over many years.

The Shop

Acidreamer
12/1/2017 9:19am
Fill tank and put stabilizer. Clean the carb so there’s no chance of remaining fuel gumming up your jets. Most coolant is rated for like -34F or something like that. For storage, I’d consider actual antifreeze if it ever gets that cold or close to that cold. Also fresh oil is nice too. I would also repack your bearings with grease so they don’t rust. Plus they’ll be ready for spring!
12/1/2017 9:25pm
Everything has been done as I normally would for winter storage I've just never had a non heated garage so that's why I'm asking about the coolent it's still the stock coolent from Suzuki as the bike only has 2 hours on it ,so was just worried about the coolent freezing and expanding and screwing my new bike up
ktm-5
12/1/2017 9:38pm
Non heated garage will create condisation and if all your worried about is the coolant why wouldn't u just put antifreeze in it and not worry?
12/2/2017 4:55am
ktm-5 wrote:
Non heated garage will create condisation and if all your worried about is the coolant why wouldn't u just put antifreeze in it and not worry?
That's why asking if I switch out the regular coolent and put in anti freeze instead for the winter

Post a reply to: Winter storage non heated garage

The Latest