Why anodize aluminum frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/25/2020 9:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2020 9:18 AM

Paging Michael Lindsey, I heard you mention this on your KX450 build video...so why anodize the frame, other than for color change?

Wondering is hardcoat clear anodize has been tried to "toughen" the aluminum surface. Seems to me Suzuki does this on their swingarm, or used to

Thoughts?

|

3/25/2020 9:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/25/2020 9:52 AM

all im going to say is if anyones doing it for anything other than purely cosmetic reasons your better off cyro'ing it instead if your looking to do anything with its rigidity.

ano is much lighter than pc obviously and I can see pc reducing compliance on it in multiple directions in terms of like 1% or something minuscule but measurable

|

3/25/2020 10:06 AM

I read somewhere that powder coat add "x" pounds to an aluminum frame bike, and frankly don't understand why anyone would...but the anodize is nearly weightless regardless

I am curious more about the benefit of anodize with regards to strength or improved scuff resistance, etc

|

3/25/2020 10:50 AM

It's 99.9% for aesthetics.

Hard anodize will be much more resistant to scratching than standard anodize. But scratching the bare aluminum surface leaves an aluminum colored scratch. Not so noticable. Scratching the (color) anodized surface leaves an aluminum colored scratch. Very noticable.

There will be no noticeable difference in strength or stiffness. Powdercoat will only add about 30 grams to the weight of a swingarm, it's not that much.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

3/25/2020 4:16 PM

Doesn't seem like a gain in any manner, and I imagine a lot of effort/cost to apply (strip down, and eliminate EVERY steel component prior to anodizing)

PC is even less appealing IMO...if I see another black ALU frame, it would be too soon

Actually prefer the low maintenance that a ALU frame provides, over steel - scotch bright and it looks like new

Thanks for the data

|