Who builds the fastest 03-04 CR250r engine?

5/12/2022 10:00pm
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I may be giving PR2 another call tomorrow.. I was set on PC or another tuner in SoCal, but now I’m reconsidering the 5 week wait for PR2. It’s going to be blazing hot here in a couple weeks, so the extra wait won’t hurt too bad. That will give me more time to hunt down an ignition and completely go through the bike. I’m going to order a new coil, PV cables and possibly relocate some electronics to the air box. Also will be looking for heavier shock/fork springs.

I’m going to see if I can find out what kind of exhaust I ended up buying (thinking it was oem)
5/13/2022 8:54am
Tunable ignition is a game changer on 02-07 CR250R, when all the other necessary mods are done. Even JD stock map is improvement over stock. Zeeltronic...
Tunable ignition is a game changer on 02-07 CR250R, when all the other necessary mods are done. Even JD stock map is improvement over stock. Zeeltronic is also good option, only downside is that their ignition PDCI-11VT is quite heavy and bulky, but they have new model PSR-X-25T which might be lighter?
If you need good ignition map for CR250, reach out member blackdiamond(Full Tilt build CR250 or something..), if he still has files and want to sell them. His map was pretty good and if you have JD box available with JD tuner you can copy the map parameters for it.
Stock Honda ignition when riding back to back with aftermarket box and BD map the power difference is very noticeable.
H4L wrote:
Agree. In stock form there is a noticeable difference with the JD ign... Was fortunate in buying the ign. from PC as I was told by...
Agree. In stock form there is a noticeable difference with the JD ign...
Was fortunate in buying the ign. from PC as I was told by the main engine guy at the time (in 05) that PC did some testing with it. They had programmed a map to compliment their cyl & head specs..
With engine mods it is a lot more noticeable especially in the mid to upper rpm range.
The engine revs more freely with the JD ign. & it starts with a good healthy bottom end pull to a very strong midrange with a topend & overev that is unmatched to any 250 2 stroke owned or ridden. Combined with the Doma exhaust it is a exceptional engine package.
A good friend that raced CR500’s in the late 80’s to early 90’s commented that the power felt like his 500’s with less torque.
Oh the jd ignition works that good on the 05-07 that’s good some bikes it didn’t. I haven’t seen 1 for sale in 10 plus yrs tho. We where talking cr125 ignitions s while back. I guess hpi makes 1 programmable with a toggle switch sold in Europe.
JMCR250
5/13/2022 7:29pm
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I may be giving PR2 another call tomorrow.. I was set on PC or another tuner in SoCal, but now...
I appreciate all the feedback guys. I may be giving PR2 another call tomorrow.. I was set on PC or another tuner in SoCal, but now I’m reconsidering the 5 week wait for PR2. It’s going to be blazing hot here in a couple weeks, so the extra wait won’t hurt too bad. That will give me more time to hunt down an ignition and completely go through the bike. I’m going to order a new coil, PV cables and possibly relocate some electronics to the air box. Also will be looking for heavier shock/fork springs.

I’m going to see if I can find out what kind of exhaust I ended up buying (thinking it was oem)
Good call on the PV cables. Make sure you get them adjusted properly. That and proper jetting make a huge difference.
H4L
5/14/2022 9:47am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2022 10:01am
Oh the jd ignition works that good on the 05-07 that’s good some bikes it didn’t. I haven’t seen 1 for sale in 10 plus yrs...
Oh the jd ignition works that good on the 05-07 that’s good some bikes it didn’t. I haven’t seen 1 for sale in 10 plus yrs tho. We where talking cr125 ignitions s while back. I guess hpi makes 1 programmable with a toggle switch sold in Europe.
I have a JD ign. on 03 & 07 CR250r models. In my experience they do work on the 02-07 models & not just the 05-07’s. I believe aftermarket ignitions do help most 2 strokes & not just 4 strokes. In some cases it’s probably more noticeable with certain models than others. If the individual is going to have engine mods done then the aftermarket ign. is a worthwhile mod / upgrade on a 2T or 4T IMHO..
I’ve also ran aftermarket ignitions on 450’s with a noticeable improvement over the oem’s..

The Shop

5/14/2022 10:17am
Looks like I’ll have time to hunt down an aftermarket ignition. I started pulling the bike apart today and I’m not a fan of the electronic placement so I’m likely going to relocate the cdi and coil like black diamond did in his thread. I was spoiled working on my 250sx for 6 years lol. Pulling the slide or changing jets was a quick 5 minute job.

I’ve narrowed it down to two tuners in SoCal or PR2 for the engine work. It’s not likely I’ll find a JD ignition so I’m thinking zeeltronic, unless you guys can recommend any other companies that still make them?

I really wanted to use PR2, but after a bit of reading, his mods will likely wear me out. As much as I want the high peak horsepower numbers, it’s more logical for me to aim for more low end/mid. Top end/overrev is a big deal for me though, so I still want some of that. My 250sx never signed off up top, I could hold it in 4th instead of shifting to 5th if I had a turn coming up soon. In stock form that bike fell on its face up top. This bike would mostly be ridden in SoCal deserts and the NGPC series with the occasional Glen Helen Saturday
5/14/2022 10:55am
Try hpi ignition sold in Europe. Aprox 5 options on it. I would just get the toggle switch. They hv 1 for 05 cr125. I clicked on dist. There’s quite a few Dutch dist. they should know English. I went for a 1 hr bike ride Fri in the wind. I know I,m not in good enough cardio shape to hang on to a mod bike rt now. So I,m racing the 04 125 stock.
5/22/2022 7:27am

5/22/2022 7:32am
PR2 built these engines for Team Blackfoot and Jean Sebastian Roy.
However, the PC engine is probably the best value in terms of performance gain per dollar spent.
5/22/2022 8:27am
40 wrote:
PR2 built these engines for Team Blackfoot and Jean Sebastian Roy. However, the PC engine is probably the best value in terms of performance gain per...
PR2 built these engines for Team Blackfoot and Jean Sebastian Roy.
However, the PC engine is probably the best value in terms of performance gain per dollar spent.
I sent Jeff an email last night. I asked to talk to the 2 stroke builder at PC and they transferred me to some kid that couldn’t tell me anything about the work they would do. I’m having a hard time getting tuners to communicate with me which is a big deal for me, when I talked to Jeff the first time I got a good feeling about him so I think I’m going to spend the extra money and go with him.
I’ve changed my mind multiple times already so when I finally make a decision I’ll give an update lol
Factor E
5/22/2022 8:47am
Try Jeff Springman at Bill's Pipes in So Cal
5/22/2022 8:48am
Factor E wrote:
Try Jeff Springman at Bill's Pipes in So Cal
I sent bills an email also trying to get ahold of him. Do you have a contact for him?
5/24/2022 7:50am
40 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/05/22/551635/s1200_PR2_CR250.jpg[/img]

There it is a big increase on the bottom even and 54hp. That’s where I would send it. If I was looking for the fastest cr250.
5/24/2022 11:46am
At the moment, PC is the only tuner out of 4 that is getting back to me. I’m waiting on a call from them from someone that can actually tell me what I need to send in and what would be done. I’ll bite the bullet and take my chances with them, although they weren’t my first choice.
dmm698
5/24/2022 12:29pm
At the moment, PC is the only tuner out of 4 that is getting back to me. I’m waiting on a call from them from someone...
At the moment, PC is the only tuner out of 4 that is getting back to me. I’m waiting on a call from them from someone that can actually tell me what I need to send in and what would be done. I’ll bite the bullet and take my chances with them, although they weren’t my first choice.
Every single time i've ever attempted to reach Tom Morgan he was extremely supportive. He communicates really well. Engine runs good (yz250). Helped me out of a Jam that the pathetic HP Performance put me into to boot.

Would not hesitate to use him again.
yz133rider
5/24/2022 4:13pm
At the moment, PC is the only tuner out of 4 that is getting back to me. I’m waiting on a call from them from someone...
dmm698 wrote:
Every single time i've ever attempted to reach Tom Morgan he was extremely supportive. He communicates really well. Engine runs good (yz250). Helped me out of...
Every single time i've ever attempted to reach Tom Morgan he was extremely supportive. He communicates really well. Engine runs good (yz250). Helped me out of a Jam that the pathetic HP Performance put me into to boot.

Would not hesitate to use him again.
Another vote for Tom Morgan. Communication and his word is second to none.
5/24/2022 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2022 5:15pm
Update. No one has gotten back to me besides TMR.

This is what I found when I pulled the cylinder. Can this be fixed? Damn 15 year old kid

romain524
6/3/2022 1:25am
Oh wow the person that attempted to touch that cylinder is a butcher!
What did you end up doing? Did you choose anyone yet?
6/3/2022 10:17am
romain524 wrote:
I’m glad he gave up when I assume he realized he had no damn clue what he was doing lol.

I sent it out to PR2 yesterday. He said the hacksaw port job shouldn’t be an issue. I was going to go with Tom until I decided the cylinder needed to be plated anyways. I also got a new oem cylinder delivered yesterday so I’m not sure who that will get sent to, I’d really like to send it to PC but they can’t put me on the phone with anyone that is actually somewhat knowledgeable which is scary to me. I still want to use TMR based on his customer service alone. He was up and texting me at 5am and kept very good contact with me throughout the day.
yz133rider
6/3/2022 11:07am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2022 11:08am
romain524 wrote:
I’m glad he gave up when I assume he realized he had no damn clue what he was doing lol. I sent it out to PR2...
I’m glad he gave up when I assume he realized he had no damn clue what he was doing lol.

I sent it out to PR2 yesterday. He said the hacksaw port job shouldn’t be an issue. I was going to go with Tom until I decided the cylinder needed to be plated anyways. I also got a new oem cylinder delivered yesterday so I’m not sure who that will get sent to, I’d really like to send it to PC but they can’t put me on the phone with anyone that is actually somewhat knowledgeable which is scary to me. I still want to use TMR based on his customer service alone. He was up and texting me at 5am and kept very good contact with me throughout the day.
Tmr will build whatever you want also. He has bore and stroker kits, specs for everything.

I bounced a few questions about a 125 off of him and was surprised he had an option for everything.

Also when you get your motor back it comes with a full set up sheet. Recommended gearing, plug, plug gap, jetting chart for temp and elevation, recommend oils, pipe etc etc.

He is one of the best easily.
Yz229
6/4/2022 12:07am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2022 12:08am
I would vote Tom as well, especially since he is the only one getting back to you.

Keep in mind, he probably won't build you something 54hp stock bore. He tends to keep his engines rideable and less peaky. Maybe he already told you that.
romain524
6/24/2022 2:01pm
Any news on your engine since you sent it to PR2?
You should make a build thread.
6/24/2022 3:42pm
romain524 wrote:
Any news on your engine since you sent it to PR2?
You should make a build thread.
I haven’t heard anything, but I do plan on doing a build thread. So far I picked up some rg3 clamps and plan on getting a few more goodies. Jeff said 5 weeks so it should be done in 3 weeks hopefully.

Post a reply to: Who builds the fastest 03-04 CR250r engine?

The Latest