When to rewire dirtbike?

duckonquack
How many hours do you guys usually go before you totally rewire your bikes start replacing electronics? Noticed some of the wires on my bike were looking a bit cracked, electrical tape on connections starting to peel up. No electrical problems or anything like that, mostly asking out curiosity.
|
kb228
7/15/2019 4:47am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 4:47am
You replace them when they break. Replace harnesses when they dry rot. You should be getting at least 10 years of life out of the electronics with normal use. If it isnt broke dont fix it.
aees
7/15/2019 6:38am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 6:41am
First thing i always do on a new bike, peel of the plastic and secure them with shrinking tape and silicon towards the plugs.

The shitty wires that are on any new modern bike will let sand, gravel and water in and that will ruin your wiring pretty quick. I always got issues with wires within 18-24 month with new bikes before i started re-doing the wires when it was new.

If you bike is 8-12 month old and you been riding in wet and dirty conditions with sand involved you can be sure if you cut your existing wire protection open it is filled with shit.

If you do get issues with wiring, you will most likely have to replace the whole wiring since it is a pain in the ass to find the root issue of bike cutting out, not starting or running poorly.

Post a reply to: When to rewire dirtbike?

The Latest