Wheelbase increase - suspension setup

Dani#279
5/9/2020 7:38am
Hi Guys!

I had a good setup on my suspension, but i have had an idea about straight stability...

I changed my ratio from 14:51 116 links to 14:52 118 links chain on my sxf350. It changed the wheelbase. I almost riched the end of the swingarm with the axle. I like this modificaton, but i lost my good suspension setup. It increased the wheelbase approx. 15mm. Could anyone advice me what should i do? The forces are on that lenght has been changed. But i dont know with what should i compensate...

Regards,
Dani
|
aees
5/9/2020 8:44am
Dani#279 wrote:
Hi Guys! I had a good setup on my suspension, but i have had an idea about straight stability... I changed my ratio from 14:51 116...
Hi Guys!

I had a good setup on my suspension, but i have had an idea about straight stability...

I changed my ratio from 14:51 116 links to 14:52 118 links chain on my sxf350. It changed the wheelbase. I almost riched the end of the swingarm with the axle. I like this modificaton, but i lost my good suspension setup. It increased the wheelbase approx. 15mm. Could anyone advice me what should i do? The forces are on that lenght has been changed. But i dont know with what should i compensate...

Regards,
Dani
Check static sag firstly, should be same as before but my guess its at least 1mm more now.

Start with that, and then possibly one click stiffer low speed comp and maybe 1/5 more high speed comp.

You also altered the weight to be more front loaded now (in theory), and also will have more engine braking which will load suspension differently.

To be honest, on a 350, you don't want to short shift it since it is so aggressive anyway.
kb228
5/9/2020 9:26am
Probably need to increase preload. when you move the wheel rearward youre effectively increasing the leverage/torque on the swingarm.
Dani#279
5/9/2020 10:35am
Dani#279 wrote:
Hi Guys! I had a good setup on my suspension, but i have had an idea about straight stability... I changed my ratio from 14:51 116...
Hi Guys!

Regards,
Dani
aees wrote:
Check static sag firstly, should be same as before but my guess its at least 1mm more now. Start with that, and then possibly one click...
Check static sag firstly, should be same as before but my guess its at least 1mm more now.

Start with that, and then possibly one click stiffer low speed comp and maybe 1/5 more high speed comp.

You also altered the weight to be more front loaded now (in theory), and also will have more engine braking which will load suspension differently.

To be honest, on a 350, you don't want to short shift it since it is so aggressive anyway.
Thank your answer! Why do think the static, why not the rider sag?
aees
5/9/2020 11:32am
Dani#279 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Regards,
Dani
aees wrote:
Check static sag firstly, should be same as before but my guess its at least 1mm more now. Start with that, and then possibly one click...

Dani#279 wrote:
Because rider sag is so difficult to get consistent measures, specially in the 1-2mm range. Standing on the pegs is easier if you got a motoslacker digital scale.

But stick with static, does the job.

The Shop

Dani#279
5/9/2020 11:42am
aees wrote:

Dani#279 wrote:
aees wrote:
Because rider sag is so difficult to get consistent measures, specially in the 1-2mm range. Standing on the pegs is easier if you got a motoslacker...
Because rider sag is so difficult to get consistent measures, specially in the 1-2mm range. Standing on the pegs is easier if you got a motoslacker digital scale.

But stick with static, does the job.
Nice explanation! Smile thanks
Dani#279
5/9/2020 1:31pm
Dani#279 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Regards,
Dani
aees wrote:

You was perfect! I meansured both setting and the diffence is 1mm! I will change the sag. It's ok. But i have trax on the rear. The high speed has 50 clicks. 1 or 2 clicks, or more? What u think?
aees
5/9/2020 1:34pm
Dani#279 wrote:
Hi Guys!

Regards,
Dani
aees wrote:

Dani#279 wrote:
You was perfect! I meansured both setting and the diffence is 1mm! I will change the sag. It's ok. But i have trax on the rear...
You was perfect! I meansured both setting and the diffence is 1mm! I will change the sag. It's ok. But i have trax on the rear. The high speed has 50 clicks. 1 or 2 clicks, or more? What u think?
1 click hsc.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/9/2020 3:54pm
aees wrote:

Dani#279 wrote:
You was perfect! I meansured both setting and the diffence is 1mm! I will change the sag. It's ok. But i have trax on the rear...
aees wrote:
1 click hsc.
Personally I'd go a few more clicks if you really want to feel a change.

Ride it with just the pre load change, then add 4 clicks and decide which is the right direction. You can also go back out on those HSC clicks and try 2-4 LSC. Do this all back to back on the track, 2 laps, change, 2 laps ect.

Best way is to test the options.

Post a reply to: Wheelbase increase - suspension setup

The Latest