What's in your track day tool box?

Hi Side
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2021 7:05am
I just took advantage of the Matrix Racing Products 35% off tool boxes sale and ordered a M81 3-drawer box. Now I'm curious as to what tools you fellas would fill up a 3-drawer tool box with?
|
skypig
1/18/2021 6:41pm
Minimums:
Quality Phillips screw driver.
Metric Ring/Open spanners.
3/8th drive metric socket set.
An 8mm and a 10mm T handle
Torque wrench (s)
Chain breaker/riveter.
Exhaust spring tool
Pressure gauge/Valve tool.
Tire Pump - “Joe Blow - Mountain” - highly recommended.
Airfork pump
Lockwire pliers/wire
Long nose pliers
“Multi grip” pliers
Vice grips
“Side cutters”
Box cutter knife
12” “Shifter”
Allen/Torx ($plurged on these - nice to use. https://silca.cc/collections/workbench/products/t-handle-folio )
I keep 2 common Torx sizes and a 6mm socket on a 1/4” drive T handle (with 3 useable ends)- A few KTM’s/Husky’s
Specialty tools - Axle bolts. Shock preload. Headstock.

I race Historic bikes as well - so have hacksaw/file and several zip tie sizes!!

Anything you use at home on the bike - transfer to your 3 draw.

I have a 3 draw under my 6 draw, and it’s all pretty full.
But my tools cover cycling/road racing/MX and general use, and tend to “live” in the Box Van - next to the door, and I use them this way in my shop most of the time.
Pro tip:
If you need to lift a full 6 draw tool box out of a van, and onto a “roller cab” - take draws out till it’s light enough that your back might not be permanently damaged during the lift.
captmoto
1/19/2021 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2021 9:15pm
skypig wrote:
Minimums: Quality Phillips screw driver. Metric Ring/Open spanners. 3/8th drive metric socket set. An 8mm and a 10mm T handle Torque wrench (s) Chain breaker/riveter. Exhaust...
Minimums:
Quality Phillips screw driver.
Metric Ring/Open spanners.
3/8th drive metric socket set.
An 8mm and a 10mm T handle
Torque wrench (s)
Chain breaker/riveter.
Exhaust spring tool
Pressure gauge/Valve tool.
Tire Pump - “Joe Blow - Mountain” - highly recommended.
Airfork pump
Lockwire pliers/wire
Long nose pliers
“Multi grip” pliers
Vice grips
“Side cutters”
Box cutter knife
12” “Shifter”
Allen/Torx ($plurged on these - nice to use. https://silca.cc/collections/workbench/products/t-handle-folio )
I keep 2 common Torx sizes and a 6mm socket on a 1/4” drive T handle (with 3 useable ends)- A few KTM’s/Husky’s
Specialty tools - Axle bolts. Shock preload. Headstock.

I race Historic bikes as well - so have hacksaw/file and several zip tie sizes!!

Anything you use at home on the bike - transfer to your 3 draw.

I have a 3 draw under my 6 draw, and it’s all pretty full.
But my tools cover cycling/road racing/MX and general use, and tend to “live” in the Box Van - next to the door, and I use them this way in my shop most of the time.
Pro tip:
If you need to lift a full 6 draw tool box out of a van, and onto a “roller cab” - take draws out till it’s light enough that your back might not be permanently damaged during the lift.
A quality phillips screwdriver for a Japanese bike is a JIS screwdriver. Actually should have one for KTM group since the throttle body is Keihin and has JIS screws on the clamps and TPS cover. A JIS screwdriver will bite JIS screws that are buggered up by phillips screwdrivers.
skypig
1/19/2021 9:17pm
captmoto wrote:
A quality phillips screwdriver for a Japanese bike is a JIS screwdriver. Actually should have one for KTM group since the throttle body is Keihin and...
A quality phillips screwdriver for a Japanese bike is a JIS screwdriver. Actually should have one for KTM group since the throttle body is Keihin and has JIS screws on the clamps and TPS cover. A JIS screwdriver will bite JIS screws that are buggered up by phillips screwdrivers.
I bought “Vessel” brand JIS Phillips head screwdrivers.
captmoto
1/19/2021 9:20pm
skypig wrote:
I bought “Vessel” brand JIS Phillips head screwdrivers.
Good stuff. I have the same. I am a slow learner so I didn't figure out JIS screwdrivers until after may years of buggering screws.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/20/2021 8:48am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2021 8:49am
Most of my "cheaper" tools are in my track day box. I only put things like my torque wrench, suspension tools, cordless drill, etc. in my garage topper. My philosophy is that I won't be doing top ends or long repairs at the track. That said, here's what I take to the track:

Open top:
Bolt kit, duct tape, tire irons, pressure gauge, spark plugs, safety wire, zip ties, tape measure, cable luber

Top drawer:
Flat and Phillips screwdrivers, pliers, needle-nose, safety wire pliers, channel locks, spark plug tool, spoke wrench

Bottom drawer:
Sockets, allen sockets, ratchets, 8, 10, 12mm wrenches

I also take a milk crate filled with my oils & chemicals. It's a good way to keep them organized. I use an old box that was once a case of chain lube; it fits inside and makes a nice partition.
Rider 5280
1/20/2021 8:50am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2021 8:58am
Awesome thread here - really appreciate everyone sharing!

I've been under a rock for quite a while … JIS screwdrivers - tell us more why they are so awesome? I definitely have some screwdrivers that "fit" better than others, but these sound like perfection. What makes them so special?

What is soooo therapeutic about hearing what's in people's toolboxes?! I don't know, but it is. Must be the feeling of improving one's preparedness through education.
Paul_Pitzonka
1/20/2021 10:04am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2021 10:05am
Rider 5280 wrote:
Awesome thread here - really appreciate everyone sharing! I've been under a rock for quite a while … JIS screwdrivers - tell us more why they...
Awesome thread here - really appreciate everyone sharing!

I've been under a rock for quite a while … JIS screwdrivers - tell us more why they are so awesome? I definitely have some screwdrivers that "fit" better than others, but these sound like perfection. What makes them so special?

What is soooo therapeutic about hearing what's in people's toolboxes?! I don't know, but it is. Must be the feeling of improving one's preparedness through education.
JIS screwdrivers are an absolute must if you work on motorcycles! Or any Japanese product for that matter... Buy a set... you will no longer have to worry about rounding screw heads on float bowls, reservoir caps, side covers etc... The Phillips and JIS screwdriver share the same entry angle but the tip of a JIS screwdriver is flat... as opposed to the Phillips which carries a tip with a compounded angle... Normally, The Easiest way to denote a JIS screw is by a small dot on the screw head...
Rider 5280
1/20/2021 11:33am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2021 12:47pm
AWESOME info - really, really appreciate it!

Once I get my "track day checklist" finalized, I'll share it out here. These topics are all complementary.

skypig
1/20/2021 5:56pm
JIS
Japanese Industrial Standard.
As mentioned:- The screw head often has a single “dot” (like a centre punch mark) denoting “JIS”

(As opposed to 4 little “cuts” denoting the superior, but rarer, “Pozidrive” screws. On Pozidrive screws/drivers, the driving areas are parallel rather than “tapered” as on Phillips {both conventional and JIS})
captmoto
1/21/2021 7:16pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Pit posse makes JIS T-Handles!
Back in the late 70's Kowa tools had a #2 and #3 JIS T-handle in the t-handle set. I was able to order a 13mm T-handle from Kowa. Took about 3 weeks to come from Japan.
yz133rider
1/22/2021 7:05am
Just few items to add that I didn’t see listed- Small hammer, brass punch to knock out stubborn axles, levers, shifter, sliding sag scale, small foot pump for tires, tubes, tire spoons, valve stem remover.

I should get a full list of what I have. My box has continued to grow over the years but I’m the guy in the group prepared for nearly the whole group.

Post a reply to: What's in your track day tool box?

The Latest