What to look for when inspecting bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2019 7:06 AM

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a bike again (haven't had one for 9 years).
Just after some pointers on what to look for when inspecting a second hand bike.
Been keeping my eye out for a YZ125 and found a couple I want to go have a look at so I can get back into racing.
The one I'm going to look at is a 2015 YZ125 and if that one doesn't work out there's another 2011 YZ125, both asking around $3,000 Australian dollaroo's.
I would rather the 2015, from what I've been reading the improvements on that model are pretty nice.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Brock.

|

6/13/2019 7:13 AM

Air filter condition and pegs... if the pegs are sloppy, then lots of time, if the filter looks like a bundt cake, then lack of maintenance. Check for mismatches with fasteners, the transmission drain bolt and check bolt may be stripped, also the wheel bearings.

Keep in mind used is used, but these things are red flags to me. COLD start should be 1-2 kicks or so.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

6/13/2019 8:47 AM

the air box being clean is a good sign. Mainly talk to the seller. If this is someone who races B/A class you may not want that bike. If it is someone who can provide a lot of technical knowledge of the bike, maybe compression readings that is a good sign.

|

6/13/2019 4:25 PM

The guy is selling the bike because his son doesn't ride it anymore (for the past two years) and said it comes with spare pipe and filters.
Being 2015 and not ridden for two years I'm hoping it's still fairly unthrashed.
He also said 38 hours since last rebuild which seems a bit high?
Though I also don't know if it was just ridden on a property or raced.

|

6/13/2019 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2019 6:15 PM

Brock183 wrote:

The guy is selling the bike because his son doesn't ride it anymore (for the past two years) and said it comes with spare pipe and filters.
Being 2015 and not ridden for two years I'm hoping it's still fairly unthrashed.
He also said 38 hours since last rebuild which seems a bit high?
Though I also don't know if it was just ridden on a property or raced.

best thing to do is keep the tips in mind and go check it out, may be a great bike or POS. Just keep your wits and the new bike fever at bay.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

6/14/2019 3:05 AM

Brock183 wrote:

The guy is selling the bike because his son doesn't ride it anymore (for the past two years) and said it comes with spare pipe and filters.
Being 2015 and not ridden for two years I'm hoping it's still fairly unthrashed.
He also said 38 hours since last rebuild which seems a bit high?
Though I also don't know if it was just ridden on a property or raced.

BR8ES wrote:

best thing to do is keep the tips in mind and go check it out, may be a great bike or POS. Just keep your wits and the new bike fever at bay.

Yeah the new bike fever is real!

Thanks for your guys input though, much appreciated!

Will hopefully check it out this weekend or next.

|

6/14/2019 3:55 PM

I always look for:
- Are the covers ragged out? Like barely any paint, big gouges, decent sized dents? Are they aftermarket or recently replaced? Small normal wear is fine.
- Bolts being mismatched is a good one. I dont mind hardware store bolts on say a small cover like for a powervalve but bolts for case halves, clutch, ignition cover watch for. Also cylinder head bolts and such are ones to look for as well.
- Chain, guides, rollers. Drive system overall. Is it ragged out? Chain worn badly? Sloppy? Sprockets look trashed? Rotors also falls into this caregory.
- Plastics. Do they look like they got slid down a mountain full of rocks? Minor scratches and tiny cracks I wouldnt worry about.
- Wheels. Take a stand with you. And roll the wheels. Look for warping side to side or dents, cracks. Loose spokes? Check for bearing slop as well.
- Check the frame over for cracks as well or any good dents. If it has a skidplate, TAKE IT OFF, and look under it. Also look for any welds or paint corrections.
- Suspension. Roll the bike and slam the front brakes. Do they stick? Do you have to manually pull up on them to come back? Also check for leaks or any wear items like shock bumpers missing or trashed. Knicks in the lower fork tubes, dents, etc.
- Air Filter. Check it over really good. Also pull it out and stick your hand down the airbox for grit or dirt.
- Engine. Listen to it closely. Some bikes are louder than others but problems will show them selves easily. Any leaks? Work done? Get receipts if anything has been done! Any maintenance logs as well.

Thats about all I got. Dont count tires, or little basic stuff like grips and seat cover cause I usually switch those out anyways and they are cheap enough.

GL!

|

6/14/2019 5:06 PM

I look at the following:
a. Condition of the airbox. Did they take the time to keep it clean;
b. Condition of the fasteners. Are they stripped or worn badly;
c. Condition of the spoke nipples. Are they stripped?;
d. Wobble of the rims when spun on the stand;
e. pull down fork dust seals. Have they ever been cleand;
f. Side to side movement in the wheels and play in the linkage;
g. what does the brake fluid look like;
h. all common wear parts;
I. What do the rads look like;
j. Wear on clutch cover and sides of frame;
k. Condition of the pegs; and
L. If it's a 2 stroke what does the plug look like? Lean?

Another main thing is what the shop/garage looks like.

|

6/14/2019 8:26 PM

Thought I would post some pictures of the first bike I'm looking at:





|

6/14/2019 8:44 PM

Brock183 wrote:

Thought I would post some pictures of the first bike I'm looking at:





That looks like a pretty clean bike.

|

6/14/2019 8:47 PM

cdncombatmedic wrote:

That looks like a pretty clean bike.

Yeah the poor thing has been locked up in a shed for 2 years with no one to ride it!

|

6/15/2019 7:13 AM

Looks good to me, check the airbox all the same, if it's been a shed that long, mice may have found a home. Carb may need a good clean, maybe new jets. Bike will probably be a bring home, check it over, put new fluids in and ride.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

6/15/2019 7:33 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Looks good to me, check the airbox all the same, if it's been a shed that long, mice may have found a home. Carb may need a good clean, maybe new jets. Bike will probably be a bring home, check it over, put new fluids in and ride.

Yeah, unfortunately the only option I have here for riding is a track that I need a key for.
I don't have property or know anyone around with property around here so it's going to kill me, bringing the bike home and not being able to take it for a ride for a week or two >.<

Not like the good old days on my folks property, I could ride whenever I wanted, or just take off up the street and find some bush.
These days if you ride up the street to go bush every second person is posting on the local social media pages asking who it was and reporting them... Here in Aus at least.

|

6/15/2019 7:35 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Looks good to me, check the airbox all the same, if it's been a shed that long, mice may have found a home. Carb may need a good clean, maybe new jets. Bike will probably be a bring home, check it over, put new fluids in and ride.

Brock183 wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately the only option I have here for riding is a track that I need a key for.
I don't have property or know anyone around with property around here so it's going to kill me, bringing the bike home and not being able to take it for a ride for a week or two >.<

Not like the good old days on my folks property, I could ride whenever I wanted, or just take off up the street and find some bush.
These days if you ride up the street to go bush every second person is posting on the local social media pages asking who it was and reporting them... Here in Aus at least.

I hear ya Brock, still go over the bike, but looks like you may have found a good one. If you buy it, enjoy the comeback.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

6/16/2019 3:46 AM

Well old mate selling the bike sold it before I could go see it today.
He was selling two bikes and someone wanted both so he sold it to them >.<

Have to wait till next weekend to go see this one:
2011 yz125 two stroke $3,100.00 AUD

Very well maintained and serviced 2011 yz125. Filter done every ride, oil changed every 4 rides, only ever been run on 98 at 32:1. Mainly ridden for fun but last year my son rode 6 club events as a learning junior. The bike is an absolutely awesome bike. It has unbreakable leavers, protaper phat bars, new front brakes, upgraded suspension, new seals and new headstem bearings. New Yamaha pistons and rings about 20 hours ago, all original plastics with some scratches.
Comes with service manual.




|

6/26/2019 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2019 7:27 PM

BR8ES wrote:

I hear ya Brock, still go over the bike, but looks like you may have found a good one. If you buy it, enjoy the comeback.

It's official, I got me a bike again!
The guy was super OCD about how he had kept and maintained the bike.
Had a ride of it and it goes hard.

He's been using 32:1 ratio so I will stick with that, though there are so many comments around with different ratios!

Thanks all for the tips on inspecting!



|

6/26/2019 7:29 PM



|