What oil for 2019 tc85?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/12/2018 2:22 PM

On all our jap bikes, I was running maxima 927 castor. Rm85, yz85, and so on. So this new tc85 is 60:1 mix ratio. Also I love the castor by maxima. But I was told by the dealership, no castor oil??? He said these new huskies are set up for synthetic. Also he said if I kept trying castor, it would screw up the jetting and could fry the motor. . I’m not sure if he’s right or not. Would klotz supertechneplate be ok???? Or is he right about this??? I personally don’t believe it. Thanks

|

8/12/2018 2:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 2:38 PM

You aren't going to fry the engine with castor... lmao. Not even close. Depends on how aggro your boy is regarding castor really... I am a Klotz Super Techniplate fan, Love that stuff. Super high flash point though.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/12/2018 3:00 PM

Mungusman wrote:

On all our jap bikes, I was running maxima 927 castor. Rm85, yz85, and so on. So this new tc85 is 60:1 mix ratio. Also I love ...more

Use the manual specs.

|

8/12/2018 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 3:06 PM

All the manual really says is mix ratio, even that is debatable. To say a castor will fry an engine is ridiculous.

|

8/12/2018 5:17 PM

Do use the synthetic oils as stated by the dealer and do run it at 60:1.
If you elect to use a different ratio or a different based oil you will in fact have some serious jetting issues.
MXA did an article on this some time back and that was their conclusion as well.

Paw Paw

|

8/12/2018 5:28 PM

Serious jetting issues? So you are saying that if a sponsored oil isn't used per the manual, the bike will be useless?? All of these oil vendors and what issues?? Please elaborate.

|

8/12/2018 6:54 PM

When MXA did the testing on a 125 and 250 KTM and tried to go with a 40:1 mix they were never able to get it to jet out correctly after months of testing. THey went back to the 60:1 and OEM jetting to get the best performance.
You should look up the article. It is a very good read.

Paw Paw

|

8/12/2018 7:03 PM

I have 2 newer Huskys,,,and other older machines. The Husky says Jaso rated oil. Jaso is a Japanese oil testing system. I looked at all my favoriates and even called directly to Pennszoil. Pennszoil supplies other brands oil to repackage..I chose Klotz Snowmobile super techniplate. It IS JASO rated and 100% synthetic. Also cheaper than most all per gallon. $42 at amazon free shipping if prime.Thats 128oz at 42 bucks...and KLOTZ. My old bikes I like klotz Benol, or Pennzoil marine synthetic..but new bikes like Husky with power valves and thin mixes like 60-1 factory demands pure synthetic so PV won't gum up,,and tested to latest highest Jaso rating.

|

8/12/2018 7:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 7:04 PM

I know that article... the biggest issue is people not rejetting if they are changing a ratio. If the bike calls for 40:1like the 125/150, then mix it at that if you are using stock jetting or manual suggestions for Conditions. Same as the 250 or the smaller bikes, can't just dump 32:1 and expect it to be fine. Regarding oil, seems like most mix up to 50;1, 60 is hardly a difference. Now if you had some Honda HP and that is a 32:1 suggestion, then 60:1 May be a problem since it wasn't designed for that. For the dealer to say castor is going to ruin the engine is absolutely ridiculous. But if a user is new or something, then high flash point oils may cause a mess.

|

8/12/2018 7:18 PM

Look I have only been doing this stuff for about 53 years now and I understand the ratio and jetting issues, but with that said I also know some folks have even more experience than I. I do believe that MXA covered this issue correctly on the KTM and after much testing they agreeded with the OEM ratio mix and jetting for the best performance and life. I also under stand that the heat transfer rates of various oils is different and that Caster based oil and synthetic oils are completely different in this and sheer factors and heat related ratings. With that little bit of knowledge and the MXA testing plus what I have experienced first hand, I have to go along with the shops OEM recommendations 100%.
But here again, what do I know anyway.....

Paw Paw

|

8/12/2018 7:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 7:37 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Look I have only been doing this stuff for about 53 years now and I understand the ratio and jetting issues, but with that ...more

Look, I don't care if you have been doing it for a 106 years. You may not always be right, but clearly you can't admit that or see a different view. That is fine, continue to rest on your years of experience.

I guess Klotz Super Techniplate is garbage then? 80/20 mix? KTMs must be space age machines too. Motorex or dumpster.

You can rejet any bike to whatever ratio you want,... my 2012 125 loved 20:1and jetted accordingly For expert level MX. It survived

|

8/13/2018 5:35 AM

Too bad you had to turn this into a personal attack.
Have a nice day!

Paw Paw

|

8/13/2018 5:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 5:49 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Too bad you had to turn this into a personal attack.
Have a nice day!

Paw Paw

You are way too sensitive and pushed your POV based on years of experience, so did I... get over yourself.

|

8/13/2018 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 2:04 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Look I have only been doing this stuff for about 53 years now and I understand the ratio and jetting issues, but with that ...more

Paw Paw knows his stuff. However, we run 32/1 50/50 Ethonal free/Av Gas in our 2018 TC85 with some jetting changes and it runs perfectly. No spooge from silencer and crisp all the way through power. I have posted specs on here before. Just pulled down for piston and to tighten up the ridiculous squish setting from factory and everything looks great. Running HP2 for premix and MTL75 in gearbox. On our '15's I was running Yamalube R and while they ran well it had a tendency to carbon up power valves pretty quickly............The 18+ PV setup is a bit more complex so I am guessing this is the reason for the oil spec from Husky/KTM........

|

8/13/2018 3:52 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Tracktor wrote:

Paw Paw knows his stuff. However, we run 32/1 50/50 Ethonal free/Av Gas in our 2018 TC85 with some jetting changes and it runs ...more

He absolutely does, never any question on that. However, it doesn't mean there aren't alternatives, etc.

|

8/13/2018 4:25 PM

Amsoil Interceptor or Maxima K2

kbye.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

8/14/2018 6:57 AM

My 2019 TC 85 Manual say Motorex at 40: 1 .

|

I cried when I had no shoes, then I stopped crying when I saw a man with No Legs.

8/14/2018 7:27 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Serious jetting issues? So you are saying that if a sponsored oil isn't used per the manual, the bike will be useless?? All of ...more

It isn't about the brand, but about the specs it meets. If an oil meets the specs, it should work with the settings available.

If you are extremely good at modifying the settings yourself, you can pretty much use whatever you want, but why reinvent the wheel?

Could the settings be improved upon? Undoubtedly.

Is the potential improvement worth the effort and risk to the machine? Doubtful.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

8/14/2018 8:47 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Serious jetting issues? So you are saying that if a sponsored oil isn't used per the manual, the bike will be useless?? All of ...more

MotoTribology wrote:

It isn't about the brand, but about the specs it meets. If an oil meets the specs, it should work with the settings available. ...more

Agreed....It was why I looked at labels on every bottle at walmart,,and on my shelf already. If my 18 TC125 or 17 TC250 has a main bearing or piston failure that hurts the engine...I have met the books requirements for a JASO FD oil. That rating is uncommon,,,either the brands can't meet it or the test cost too much..

|

8/23/2018 8:18 AM

I have ran motorex and castor 927 at 60:1 in my 18 250 with no issues on either oil.

|

8/23/2018 8:46 AM

Synthetic & Petroliem each have different benefits. I like the the Golden Spectro mixture of both.

READ THE OIL MANUFACTURES RATIO RECOMMENDATION THEY TEST THIS AND KNOW WHAT RATIO WORKS BEST FRO THEIR OIL.

|

8/23/2018 2:16 PM

After reading the manual, it says 40:1, and synthetic oil only. Just saying what the manual said. I love 927 castor, but am afraid to try it after reading that. Maybe that’s what the dealer meant, when he said about the motor getting cooked, because he said these bikes are jetted with the synthetic, and the motor could be damaged. this is our first ktm/Husky, and it’s a whole new animal to me. Just want to do things right. The jap bikes were a little more simple,

|

8/23/2018 4:34 PM

As paw paw says, just go with the manual if in doubt, they made it. He is right as are others, I like to tinker, but understand the nerves with a new bike/brand. Either way, good luck.

|

8/24/2018 12:30 PM

Mungusman wrote:

After reading the manual, it says 40:1, and synthetic oil only. Just saying what the manual said. I love 927 castor, but am ...more

It isn't jetted correctly from factory for most places anyway? The dealer probably is parroting what he is told to to cover his ass. KTMTALK.com 85 forum has lot's of info.
BTW, no noticeable difference in how our bike runs from 32/1 to 40/1 so there is that. And both my boy and I are pretty picky about tuning. These are much less finicky that either the YZ85 or KX85 from my experience.........I still say the synthetic thing is due to powervalves gumming up.............

|

8/26/2018 10:58 PM

Hi Mungusman, are you getting any spooge out the tailpipe on your 2019 85. I am battling with mine. No matter how lean we run the bike still drips oil out the tail pipe.

|

I cried when I had no shoes, then I stopped crying when I saw a man with No Legs.

8/27/2018 12:21 AM

CycleC wrote:

Hi Mungusman, are you getting any spooge out the tailpipe on your 2019 85. I am battling with mine. No matter how lean we run ...more

I haven’t even run the bike yet, my son has a broken arm, from a bad wreck on his last bike. That’s why I’m asking about oils, I’ve heard bad things about the jetting on these bikes. They say run synthetic and it’ll run fine, I don’t believe it. Most definitely gonna have to make some changes I’m figuring. I’ll let you know this weekend, my boy gets his cast off and we’re gonna break it in

|

8/30/2018 12:08 AM

Hi Mungusman did you run the bike as yet. Interested to hear your thoughts and if you get spooge out the tail pipe

|

8/30/2018 4:14 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

When MXA did the testing on a 125 and 250 KTM and tried to go with a 40:1 mix they were never able to get it to jet out ...more

No way in hell I’d run 60-1 on a hard running 125. 2 strokes running really well are running hot pistons. Service intervals will be shorter. Set your squish right first thing on a two stroke.
On a 125 I’m at .7mm squish, 32-1 and nice colour combustion
How thick is the recommended oil btw?

|

8/31/2018 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/31/2018 12:07 PM

CycleC wrote:

Hi Mungusman did you run the bike as yet. Interested to hear your thoughts and if you get spooge out the tail pipe

Yes we did, we tried the bel-ray H1-R synthetic, at 40:1. Broke in the motor, and as of now hardly any spooge. We just kept adjusting the air screw, until we got it nice and crisp with no bogging. Seems good so far. Keep you updated.

|

9/5/2018 6:15 AM

Great Stuff, do you know what jetting you are running and what altitude are you at. H!-R is good oil for sure

|