What can a vortex do the 19 yz can't already do?

Burgundy
Title says it. If I have a '19 yz250f, which obviously has all the mapping on my phone, what can a vortex do above and beyond that?

Also if I have a pipe, race fuel and airbox mods (no toil superflow and cut airbox cover) done, in order to do a remap right you're ideally running it on a dyno right? It's not necessarily something twisted can do a map for, especially with the airbox mods they'd be able to get close but not quite exact right?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/13/2020 7:39pm
The vortex has way more points to tune to than stock.

An engine tuner can give you maps for your spec. Some people feel a major change but some don’t.

I’d say it depends on how sensitive you are to tuning.
captmoto
12/13/2020 9:54pm
There are probably some limits built into the stock system to save consumers from themselves. Other than that, if I had a YZ I don't think I would mess with a Vortex and I am a big Twisted fan.
dbx33
12/14/2020 7:18pm
can you increase the rev limiter on the Yamaha or just add fuel and timing?
Rider 5280
12/14/2020 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2020 1:43am
I have a 2016 YZ250F with a Tokyo Mods mapped Vortex with map switch, Twin Air Powerflow intake and GYTR large airbox with Lightspeed velocity stack, and a full Yoshimura titanium exhaust system. I honestly couldn't tell any bit of difference after installing it. While it did sound more responsive on the stand - I literally can't tell anything is different when riding. I'm a pretty sensitive rider, too. My previous setup that I am comparing it to was everything stock except an FMF slip-on.

I had similar experiences with my 2007 CRF450R and 2006 YZ250 when running Vortex ignitions and map switches (both Tokyo Mods mapped). In both cases I felt almost no change and ultimately preferred the stock ignitions. To me, the stock ignition were "meatier" and the bikes could be torqued around the track more effectively.

I was hopeful that a Vortex would be magic on an EFI bike like many have experienced. After trying this mod 3 times on very different bikes, and spending almost $2k to do so, I just am not impressed.

You do lose the hour meter function when you switch to Vortex, FYI.

As a last-ditch attempt on the 2016 YZ250F, I might try Twisted Development's mapping. TBD.

*** Note: my friends typically ride the 2016 YZ250F. I have not ridden the bike at an mx track yet with the Vortex yet, just fast and gnarly single-track. I will update this post next time I ride an mx track with this configuration (and I have plenty of mx seat time with the previous configuration for comparison) . ***

The Shop

DB97
12/15/2020 1:57am
Rider 5280 wrote:
I have a 2016 YZ250F with a Tokyo Mods mapped Vortex with map switch, Twin Air Powerflow intake and GYTR large airbox with Lightspeed velocity stack...
I have a 2016 YZ250F with a Tokyo Mods mapped Vortex with map switch, Twin Air Powerflow intake and GYTR large airbox with Lightspeed velocity stack, and a full Yoshimura titanium exhaust system. I honestly couldn't tell any bit of difference after installing it. While it did sound more responsive on the stand - I literally can't tell anything is different when riding. I'm a pretty sensitive rider, too. My previous setup that I am comparing it to was everything stock except an FMF slip-on.

I had similar experiences with my 2007 CRF450R and 2006 YZ250 when running Vortex ignitions and map switches (both Tokyo Mods mapped). In both cases I felt almost no change and ultimately preferred the stock ignitions. To me, the stock ignition were "meatier" and the bikes could be torqued around the track more effectively.

I was hopeful that a Vortex would be magic on an EFI bike like many have experienced. After trying this mod 3 times on very different bikes, and spending almost $2k to do so, I just am not impressed.

You do lose the hour meter function when you switch to Vortex, FYI.

As a last-ditch attempt on the 2016 YZ250F, I might try Twisted Development's mapping. TBD.

*** Note: my friends typically ride the 2016 YZ250F. I have not ridden the bike at an mx track yet with the Vortex yet, just fast and gnarly single-track. I will update this post next time I ride an mx track with this configuration (and I have plenty of mx seat time with the previous configuration for comparison) . ***
Tokyo maps aren’t that good that’s why. After they told me to get someone “who knows what they’re doing” when I finished a fresh top end so I had a local guy with a dyno tune my bike. It went from 58 to 63.5hp just from tuning the vortex.
Rider 5280
12/15/2020 7:34am
Dayuuuuuum. +5.5 HP when tuned properly?

So it really is their programming, huh?

You stuck with the Vortex ignition but your local tuner really dialed it in for you?

How much did it cost you for the dyno tuning and Vortex mapping work in total to get the level of performance you cite?

DB97
12/15/2020 7:44am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2020 7:47am
Rider 5280 wrote:
Dayuuuuuum. +5.5 HP when tuned properly? So it really is their programming, huh? You stuck with the Vortex ignition but your local tuner really dialed it...

You stuck with the Vortex ignition but your local tuner really dialed it in for you?

How much did it cost you for the dyno tuning and Vortex mapping work in total to get the level of performance you cite?

$200 it was worth it.
Burgundy
12/15/2020 7:54am
Talk about marketing - it was troll train's - going blue vlog at 3:03 that made me think hmm maybe I should look into vortex's. Because if I get one I'll be just as fast as amart right?

Anyone know good tuner's in New England?
Rider 5280
12/15/2020 8:04am
Rider 5280 wrote:
Dayuuuuuum. +5.5 HP when tuned properly? So it really is their programming, huh? You stuck with the Vortex ignition but your local tuner really dialed it...

DB97 wrote:
$200 it was worth it.
$200 is a STEAL.

Thanks for chiming in!
JohnMatrix
12/15/2020 9:13am
DB97 wrote:
Tokyo maps aren’t that good that’s why. After they told me to get someone “who knows what they’re doing” when I finished a fresh top end...
Tokyo maps aren’t that good that’s why. After they told me to get someone “who knows what they’re doing” when I finished a fresh top end so I had a local guy with a dyno tune my bike. It went from 58 to 63.5hp just from tuning the vortex.
This, the ecu is only as good as the tuner behind it.
navalseabee
12/15/2020 9:28am
Just got mine from TD for my 2021, huge improvement over the OEM. The biggest change for me was how much longer 3rd pulls, I felt with the OEM that 3rd was too short and would run out of RPM even on short stretch's between turns. That is now gone and 3rd seems to pull forever. Very pleased.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
12/17/2020 11:31pm
There is a video from Jamie at TD showing the difference between a stock ECU (KTM I believe) and a Vortex. I’ll try to find it and post it here.
Donkey Kong
12/18/2020 11:00am
You can map in 250rpm increments on the vortex so you can get the power really dialed in which you can't do on a stock unit.
Vet57
12/18/2020 11:38pm
Just got mine from TD for my 2021, huge improvement over the OEM. The biggest change for me was how much longer 3rd pulls, I felt...
Just got mine from TD for my 2021, huge improvement over the OEM. The biggest change for me was how much longer 3rd pulls, I felt with the OEM that 3rd was too short and would run out of RPM even on short stretch's between turns. That is now gone and 3rd seems to pull forever. Very pleased.
Are the maps pre programmed in specifically for the bike?
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
12/19/2020 3:59am
Just got mine from TD for my 2021, huge improvement over the OEM. The biggest change for me was how much longer 3rd pulls, I felt...
Vet57 wrote:
Are the maps pre programmed in specifically for the bike?
The maps are setup for your specific use and needs. You tell them what kind of mods you have done, fuel, elevation, etc. They can really dial it in. Its best on a aftermarket ECU, but can be done on a stock ECU. More points they can alter at various throttle positions and rpm ranges.

Post a reply to: What can a vortex do the 19 yz can't already do?

The Latest