What bike mounts do you use to haul your bikes in your trailer or sprinter?

Edited Date/Time 9/23/2018 1:29pm
I recently put a video together for Seat Time on a few different mounting options for dirt bikes for within a trailer or sprinter. Through the comments, I learned about a while bunch of other options.

I wanted to know what you all use for hauling your bikes in your trailer, sprinter or truck.

Some thoughts for our build:
- I would like to use L-Track, if possible.
- Trying to keep cost relative. Yes, stuff costs money, but I can't spend any $$$ amount.
- I have a 144" sprinter, so I will not have a partition. Due to this, the system needs to be removed for sleeping (beds to fold down from either side of walls).
- Light-ish
- Small-ish for potential hanging inside when not on floor or in use

Thanks!
|
9/5/2018 6:46am
Bike Shoes

Paw Paw
Would need to bolt those down and heavy for quick removal to fold down beds.

Side Note: Have you ever heard of these wearing our front wheel bearings?
Paw Paw 271
9/5/2018 7:42am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 7:43am
Yes, either bolt them down or mount on a sheet of plywood is needed.
RE: Wheel bearing.....That is a myth. I have used them for may years and have had no issues with wheel bearings and the side benefit is not fork seal issues either. I have also never had one come loose from the front wheel or had any damage from a bike getting loose.

Paw Paw
blaze 57
9/5/2018 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 12:49pm
I use the Lock and Load foot peg clamping system mounted on a 3/4" piece of plywood so I wouldn't have to drill holes through the trailer floor. Solid as a rock for thousands of miles so far.

The Shop

BR8ES
9/5/2018 12:47pm
Bike shoe for the win... see if you can get a Spudbilt or ATK/ADB if you go this route.
ss-racing
9/7/2018 7:26am
Based on what you said, I’d be inclined to use the removable Pingle chocks and E-track+removable fittings for securing the bike. I use this in my trailer, works well.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2255th
9/7/2018 4:09pm
Www.boltiton.com

I have them in my sprinter and they are awesome!! Only way to go!!
GoYamaha
9/8/2018 3:28am
blaze 57 wrote:
I use the Lock and Load foot peg clamping system mounted on a 3/4" piece of plywood so I wouldn't have to drill holes through the...
I use the Lock and Load foot peg clamping system mounted on a 3/4" piece of plywood so I wouldn't have to drill holes through the trailer floor. Solid as a rock for thousands of miles so far.
How does the plywood mount to the floor. Looking at doing a similar set up but don't want to drill through the floor on my new Transit.
GoYamaha
blaze 57
9/9/2018 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 12:50pm
blaze 57 wrote:
I use the Lock and Load foot peg clamping system mounted on a 3/4" piece of plywood so I wouldn't have to drill holes through the...
GoYamaha wrote:
How does the plywood mount to the floor. Looking at doing a similar set up but don't want to drill through the floor on my new...
How does the plywood mount to the floor. Looking at doing a similar set up but don't want to drill through the floor on my new Transit.
GoYamaha
The plywood jut sits on the floor. No bolt down required. Its plenty stable. Its also laying on a slide-proof rubber mat which I would imagine helps any sliding.

The plywood butts up against the front wall too. The bike has never moved even a fraction of an inch.

The lock and load mount itself pops off in a few seconds with these hand twist bolts. Very simple and fast to remove/replace so your trailer floor is clear from tripping on it.

YouTube should have some clips.

Personally I wouldn't be drilling any holes in your new Transit either and there was several reasons I didn't want to go drilling through mine. Its not necessary.
9/11/2018 9:29am
ss-racing wrote:
Based on what you said, I’d be inclined to use the removable Pingle chocks and E-track+removable fittings for securing the bike. I use this in my...
Based on what you said, I’d be inclined to use the removable Pingle chocks and E-track+removable fittings for securing the bike. I use this in my trailer, works well.
I've been thinking that as well. I really wanted to use L-Track on the floor for some other mounting options. But the E-Track might be better suited for the dirt bikes.
9/11/2018 9:32am
blaze 57 wrote:
GoYamaha wrote:
How does the plywood mount to the floor. Looking at doing a similar set up but don't want to drill through the floor on my new...
GoYamaha
blaze 57 wrote:
The plywood jut sits on the floor. No bolt down required. Its plenty stable. Its also laying on a slide-proof rubber mat which I would imagine...
The plywood jut sits on the floor. No bolt down required. Its plenty stable. Its also laying on a slide-proof rubber mat which I would imagine helps any sliding.

The plywood butts up against the front wall too. The bike has never moved even a fraction of an inch.

The lock and load mount itself pops off in a few seconds with these hand twist bolts. Very simple and fast to remove/replace so your trailer floor is clear from tripping on it.

YouTube should have some clips.

Personally I wouldn't be drilling any holes in your new Transit either and there was several reasons I didn't want to go drilling through mine. Its not necessary.
Only issue with this setup is if you were to get in to a wreck. Since the bike, or mount, isn't attached to the floor securely, it would go bounding around. The potential for taking a bike to the back of the head is high in a head on, even a small fender bender I bet.
Tuzzo123
9/12/2018 6:12am
blaze 57 wrote:
I agree, best product I've used period! I bolt mine down to the trailer floor, never give bike movement another thought. Can put them side by side roo, just stagger the bar. Never touch.
ben5020
9/13/2018 8:53am
Here’s what I use and have no complaints whatsoever. The eye hook end needs to be heated up and opened to put the etrack piece in. Go right to the footpegs and call it a day.

wfopete
9/14/2018 11:35am
Quit trying to over think this; just stick the front tire into a corner and use tie downs.
labbe001
9/14/2018 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 12:04pm
I've used the locking bike shoe for years. I've often thought about fabricating one that can be mounted and unmounted to E track but have never taken the time to do it.
maybe something along these lines...
https://www.condor-lift.com/universal-e-track-adapter-kit
but a more simple design possibly.

Would love to try one of these but can't seem to get in touch with the guy that makes them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UQ65HQke9M
9/23/2018 7:50am
Alright guys, I locked myself in my garage to try and solve this problem. I REALLY wanted an L-Track Wheel Chock!!!

I hope asking VitalMX members to judge me doesn't backfire, but please pass along your feedback on other ideas or ways to bend the steel plates. THANKS!!!!!

http://seattime.co/2018/09/l-track-motorcycle-wheel-chock-moto-van-conv…

Post a reply to: What bike mounts do you use to haul your bikes in your trailer or sprinter?

The Latest