Weird one, 2nd gear is slipping

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2019 6:19 PM

Ok so I've never experienced this before. 2017 250sx. Riding yesterday it slipped into neutral 3 times and it feels like 2nd gear specifically is slipping. If I go to 3rd or 4th gear it pulls like normal. I've taken the right outer case off and so far everything looks normal. I haven't gone as far to split the cases and look at the gears yet. wtfff

|

1/6/2019 6:37 PM

Change the tranny oil to factory spec
Check clutch basket and plates
Check oil in the clutch perch- its not a cable right

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/6/2019 6:58 PM

Sounds like you'll need a complete engine gasket kit and two shift forks along with two or three new transmission gears.
You are describing worn engagement dogs concerning second gear. Usually happens to street bikes that get slammed into second over and over. Power shifts from first to second can cause the gear dogs to wear out. Just did an LTZ400 that had the same problem, 1 test ride and I could tell what was wrong. You should have tiny fragments of metal on the filter or in the oil? Basically, if you load the engine in second it should slam or slip into neutral?

|

1/6/2019 9:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/6/2019 9:30 PM

speed_racer wrote:

Sounds like you'll need a complete engine gasket kit and two shift forks along with two or three new transmission gears.
You are describing worn engagement dogs concerning second gear. Usually happens to street bikes that get slammed into second over and over. Power shifts from first to second can cause the gear dogs to wear out. Just did an LTZ400 that had the same problem, 1 test ride and I could tell what was wrong. You should have tiny fragments of metal on the filter or in the oil? Basically, if you load the engine in second it should slam or slip into neutral?

That's what I was thinking but the bike has 30 hours and basically never use 1st gear. Still, nothing else seems a plausible culprit so I'll probably just end up splitting the cases and measuring the shift forks & replacing.

Draining the oil when I got home from the track it looked like it always does and only minimal shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

Clutch is hydraulic and I always use the recommended oil weight (10w-50).

|