Weird Spot in New Cylinder

mjr119
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2017 9:07am
I bought a brand new cylinder for my CR250R. It has this weird spot in it. Normal or is this a cause for concern?

Thanks.
|
Paw Paw 271
5/1/2017 3:49pm
That is a poorly done exhaust bridge relief. It has to be done on these cylinders to keep from having a seizing issue.
If the plating looks ok, it may work fine, but I would still contact the seller as it is a poor relief job.

Paw Paw
mjr119
5/1/2017 4:01pm
That is a poorly done exhaust bridge relief. It has to be done on these cylinders to keep from having a seizing issue. If the plating...
That is a poorly done exhaust bridge relief. It has to be done on these cylinders to keep from having a seizing issue.
If the plating looks ok, it may work fine, but I would still contact the seller as it is a poor relief job.

Paw Paw
Thanks paw paw. It's from partzilla. I'm pissed. Hopefully they will cross ship me a new one overnight. They are closed now. Will have to call first thing in the morning.
pete24
5/1/2017 6:49pm
looks undercut with a sanding band, was it a replate? i dont think honda puts out that kind of work
mjr119
5/1/2017 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2017 7:07pm
pete24 wrote:
looks undercut with a sanding band, was it a replate? i dont think honda puts out that kind of work

Not unless partzilla is selling replated cylinders.

The Shop

mjr119
5/2/2017 12:15pm
Difficult to determine from the pic, but it looks like the plating is misapplied. We would be happy to fix it if Partszilla won't..
They are exchanging the cylinder for me. Thanks!

Not sure what the issue was but I did not feel comfortable using the cylinder. So glad partzilla is making it right. It just sucks to delay this build another weekend. I want to ride my smoker!
5/2/2017 2:30pm
I put a new OEM Honda cylinder also from Partzilla in my dad's 2003 CR250 and I noticed it looked the same at the exhaust bridge. It has over 40 hours of trouble free use now but I can definitely understand where you're coming from. Hopefully your new one looks better.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/2/2017 7:56pm
Difficult to determine from the pic, but it looks like the plating is misapplied. We would be happy to fix it if Partszilla won't..
I sent you a PM.
mjr119
5/4/2017 9:34am
While I do appreciate Partzilla making this right, kind of...

I will say this customer service experience has been inconvenient.

Long story short: I spoke with a supervisor at 8:01am Monday morning and explained the issue. He wanted me to e-mail pictures of the spot, and he would let me know. So I sent the above picture at approximately 8:15AM via email, directly to the supervisor.

I did not hear anything back from him, so I called Partzilla on my lunch and got a different rep. He explained that my cylinder had already been shipped out for a return. Great... but not so great, as I no longer live at my previous address. I explained this to him and he advised me to contact UPS to see if I could get it redirected. I explained that I was not interested in doing that and the supervisor should have contacted me to let me know what was going on. A simple reply to an e-mail.

His next solution was for me to just "go and try to get the package at my old address." Which is not only an hour from where I live, but who would recommend doing this!? But this was my only option, which I plan to try to do after work. he said there is nothing he can do because it had already shipped out. This was at 1pm. The tracking shows the packages first scan at 4:08pm. So not sure why the disconnect there. He also said that a return automatically sends it to the same address. Well what if I move (I did). I realize it's unfortunate timing, but damn.

I have since e-mailed the supervisor twice asking for an explanation for his lack of communication. Which has put me in a bad situation. What if the package is gone when I get there? Who is responsible for it then? This just seems crazy to me. He will not respond.

I contacted the Live Chat on partzilla and the rep was very apologetic and nice, and he said he will make sure the Supervisor sends me an e-mail. This was about 4 hours ago. Still no response.

Unreal. I guess I will be attempting to chase down my package this evening. Hopefully it is there.

In the mean time I am DONE with Partzilla. Rocky Mountain all the way. I've never had a bad CS experience with them. hell I even admit that I forgot to add a part with my order, that had already shipped, and they just sent out the cheap part with free shipping. No questions asked.
mjr119
5/4/2017 9:38am
Let me know if I am just being I whiney bitch or not?
mjr119
5/4/2017 10:44am
This is the response:

"I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. However, I feel Partzilla is not at fault. If we had known at the time of creating the replacement order that the shipping address was different than on the original order, we could have shipped the item to the correct address. "

Now I am just heated. Trying to blame the customer???? A simple reply to my e-mail would've prevented this, such as: "yeah this cylinder looks like crap, we will send out a replacement today."

WTF
mjr119
5/4/2017 10:45am
He never agreed to a replacement on the phone, he just asked me to send pictures. With no follow up. Sorry ass customer service IMO.
captmoto
5/4/2017 12:25pm
mjr119 wrote:
He never agreed to a replacement on the phone, he just asked me to send pictures. With no follow up. Sorry ass customer service IMO.
Well they did ship it out pretty quick. Too bad they didn't confirm your mailing address.
mjr119
5/4/2017 1:17pm
mjr119 wrote:
captmoto wrote:
Well they did ship it out pretty quick. Too bad they didn't confirm your mailing address.
Yeah, just bad timing. But definitely a lack of communication on their part. They are in the business of selling parts. Not me. I feel like it falls on them. I am going now to try to get my Cylinder from someone named "Smith" who received it. Wish me luck.
mjr119
5/5/2017 6:37pm
Well I got the cylinder. But it looks even worse. I don't know what to do

Rocket164
5/5/2017 8:22pm
The pic below is from my 2016 YZ125 cylinder at the 4 hour mark. I sent this cylinder off for porting and when I asked my engine builder why the cylinder was relieved so much above the exhaust bridge that the cross hatch isn't visible he explained that it's done that way due to the extreme temperatures at the exhaust bridge. Once the cylinder heats up it should expand and form a nice seal against the ring. Your cylinder looks to have a very sharp transition where mine is more subtle.

rmoto003
5/5/2017 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2017 8:42pm
If you just got 2 brand new Honda cylinders with similar looking stuff, then theyre probably just fine.

But yea you sound like a whiney bitch... (From how Interpreted the story) The dude was trying to help as best he could by shipping out another brand new OEM cylinder for a discontinued bike (which couldnt have been easy). The address turns out to be wrong, no fault of theirs, Im guessing there isnt anything they could do about it after that. Then you ask him to "explain himself" (lol seriously) over an error in shipping that was no fault of theirs.

Seriously the part is fine, I dont know what everyone else here is talking about.... It could probably have been ground in a bit prettier but its not gonna hurt anything.

They were able to get you two brand new cylinders in the span of 3 days (the first of which was just fine)... Thats a taller order than you think it is, and you were a total dick about it. I dont think they are gonna miss your business lol
mjr119
5/6/2017 3:40am
rmoto003 wrote:
If you just got 2 brand new Honda cylinders with similar looking stuff, then theyre probably just fine. But yea you sound like a whiney bitch...
If you just got 2 brand new Honda cylinders with similar looking stuff, then theyre probably just fine.

But yea you sound like a whiney bitch... (From how Interpreted the story) The dude was trying to help as best he could by shipping out another brand new OEM cylinder for a discontinued bike (which couldnt have been easy). The address turns out to be wrong, no fault of theirs, Im guessing there isnt anything they could do about it after that. Then you ask him to "explain himself" (lol seriously) over an error in shipping that was no fault of theirs.

Seriously the part is fine, I dont know what everyone else here is talking about.... It could probably have been ground in a bit prettier but its not gonna hurt anything.

They were able to get you two brand new cylinders in the span of 3 days (the first of which was just fine)... Thats a taller order than you think it is, and you were a total dick about it. I dont think they are gonna miss your business lol
Well the supervisors manager agreed with me. But thanks for the input. I had to drive one hour out of my way without knowing if I could get the cylinder or not. Then one hour back. Luckily there are still some honest people in the world and I was able to get my package. Either way the error wasn't my fault and I took a small loss, not them. Fortunately it was only 2 hours of my time and a little gas.
ianhendry46
5/7/2017 7:16pm
IMO you're over reacting. When you called in, you could have just thrown it out there "hey, I've moved since I last ordered." They can't read your mind. And did you have to pay for the shipping? If not, then you have no room to bitch. I work at a dealership and they prices on shipping are stupid. I had to have a cylinder next day aired for my YZ and it cost me $100. And that's still with my employee discount. I'm willing to bet they lost more money on shipping that part to you than you spent in gas. Supervisors are busy people, hence the title. I do agree, a simple email would have been nice, but a new cylinder within a couple days, I wouldn't be mad.
And as far as the part, its not their fault that the plating isn't satisfactory. They order the parts from a distributor just like you do. They got a bad batch, it happens more than you think. As someone who opens brand new parts from Honda every single day, I've seen my share of bad batches of parts. I had 4 regulators for four wheeler one time before I got a good one.
mjr119
5/8/2017 10:11am
IMO you're over reacting. When you called in, you could have just thrown it out there "hey, I've moved since I last ordered." They can't read...
IMO you're over reacting. When you called in, you could have just thrown it out there "hey, I've moved since I last ordered." They can't read your mind. And did you have to pay for the shipping? If not, then you have no room to bitch. I work at a dealership and they prices on shipping are stupid. I had to have a cylinder next day aired for my YZ and it cost me $100. And that's still with my employee discount. I'm willing to bet they lost more money on shipping that part to you than you spent in gas. Supervisors are busy people, hence the title. I do agree, a simple email would have been nice, but a new cylinder within a couple days, I wouldn't be mad.
And as far as the part, its not their fault that the plating isn't satisfactory. They order the parts from a distributor just like you do. They got a bad batch, it happens more than you think. As someone who opens brand new parts from Honda every single day, I've seen my share of bad batches of parts. I had 4 regulators for four wheeler one time before I got a good one.
I certainly would've but I had no idea if they were going to replace it or not at the time of the phone call. The phone call was all of 2 minutes. Basically me telling him the problem, him asking to send pics, then saying goodbye. So I can't say I thought of telling him at the time. I figured it would be a little more of a process to get them to replace it.

Anyways it's all moot because this cylinder looks worse than the first one. So Partzilla is contact the manufacturer. Will update once something is figured out. There definitely seems to be a plating issue with these.
rmoto003
5/8/2017 11:50am
Its not a plating issue. The issue is whoever did the relief on the bridge did a slightly unnactractive job at it.
mjr119
5/9/2017 7:42am
So Partzilla spoke with Honda, and the part has been discontinued as of yesterday, according to them. Man I have some good luck with timing.

What should I do?
Dtat720
5/9/2017 7:50am
You should run it. There is nothing wrong with it.
slipdog
5/9/2017 9:07am
Yes, you should run it and not worry about it. Otherwise send it to Chip and let them strip and replate it if that will make you feel more comfortable.
5/11/2017 8:38am
slipdog wrote:
Yes, you should run it and not worry about it. Otherwise send it to Chip and let them strip and replate it if that will make...
Yes, you should run it and not worry about it. Otherwise send it to Chip and let them strip and replate it if that will make you feel more comfortable.
Lets make it a 265cc while we are at it!!!!! Boom!
mjr119
5/11/2017 9:27am
Depending on what comes of this with Partzilla. I might actually do that! I need to get it worked over anyways. What's the turnaround time on that?
5/11/2017 10:10am
mjr119 wrote:
Depending on what comes of this with Partzilla. I might actually do that! I need to get it worked over anyways. What's the turnaround time on...
Depending on what comes of this with Partzilla. I might actually do that! I need to get it worked over anyways. What's the turnaround time on that?
7 - 10 business days depending on when you send it. If you are going to rebuild it, might as well make it faster!

Post a reply to: Weird Spot in New Cylinder

The Latest