Water in oil questions

FWYT
Working on my KTM 640, which is the old LC4 motor.

It's been sitting for a little bit and when checking the oil, it was milky. No oil in the radiator. Well, actually, the water level was so low that I couldn't see it but when I did fill the radiator, there was no sign of oil.

Drained the oil from the cases and there was a LOT of water in there. Like a whole lot. Quick cylinder leakdown test and it seems tight so more than likely it's been leaking at the water pump while sitting and not the head gasket. (The cam-driven water pump is kind of a notorious leak point on these motors.)

Two questions:
Question 1-given the passing grade on the cylinder leakdown test, would you assume the problem is the water pump like I do? Or would you pull the head anyway?

Question 2 - How in the hell is the best way to clean out all that sludge in the cases?! If it was a two stroke, it'd be easy. But this thing has two filters and one screen and carries oil the frame. Just suck it up and get a case of cheap oil, some extra filters and run a few 5 minute cycles?
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/4/2020 7:38am
I’d think it’d the water pump, try that and see if it holds.

As for cleaning I’m not sure, I’d try cycling oil through the engine.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/4/2020 8:40am
Run cheap oil and cycle it out until it stops coming out white. (Fix the water pump first, of course.)
Paw Paw
8/4/2020 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2020 4:50pm
Falcon wrote:
Run cheap oil and cycle it out until it stops coming out white. (Fix the water pump first, of course.)
X2

In the past I have used a small amount of diesel fuel in the engine oil to break down the sludge, but it may damage your clutch plates, so only run it for a few minutes at a time.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Water in oil questions

The Latest