WP Supertrax compatibility

MUTHERFUKER
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2022 8:13am
Does anyone definitively know if the new WP 8950 SuperTrax has a variant compatable with older chassis Husky’s (2017)?

I’ve spoken to FC, AEO, Racetech, and others. All give wildly different answers to this question.

And WP themselves dont know because they dont check for backwards compatibility.

Thanks.
|
rjg
4/5/2022 11:54pm
I remember a guy on here who had to cut a piece of his frame out to make it fit.
MUTHERFUKER
4/6/2022 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2022 3:13pm
rjg wrote:
I remember a guy on here who had to cut a piece of his frame out to make it fit.
I assume you mean the subframe?

Apparently quite a few WP dealers have installed this shock on older bikes. Based on their sales records. But Im having trouble getting ahold of the specific techs that did it. Likely they sold it to a customer and the customer figured out a way to massage it.

WP will not comment on it directly to me.
4/6/2022 5:44pm
Hit up Evan at solid performance. He doesn’t hide information in my experience. Very helpful
MUTHERFUKER
4/7/2022 8:47am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2022 8:51am
I finally got some reliable info out of WP.

Due to the frame change in 2019, there are some changes that result in two things...

1. The shock (just above the preload threads) is going to be up against the air boot.

2. The new reservoir angle will require a small cutaway of the side panel plastics. (Common with current GasGas bikes running this suspension)

My questions are these...

A.... Is the new supertrax shock body diameter different than 7750 trax shock and so it rubs harder on the airboot?

B.... Arent the GasGas bikes running the older chassis? If the 8950 can fit on them, why not my older Husky?

Or does the Husky have significantly different airboot routing?

The Shop

MUTHERFUKER
4/7/2022 9:37am
Hit up Evan at solid performance. He doesn’t hide information in my experience. Very helpful
He knows his shit. Just got off the phone with him.

He says they have installed the 8950’s on the older bikes. But variables must be accounted for.

He said touching of the airboot is normal. They put some clear fork decal over that area of the shock just to protect from dirt/sand wear of the aluminum.

He said major concern was taking into account the existing setup. Said sometimes thicker bumpers are necessary for lowered bikes. Such as mine with the Pro Circuit linkage. That affects the stroke and if not accounted for he’s seen bikes with holes in the carbon sub frame from the rear tire punching through.

But as far as geometry of the shock, it’s only the reservoir angle that is significantly different according to Evan.

He didnt know off the top of his head which variant of this shock would be right for me. The ‘21 Husky version for the lowered OE chassis’ might help or hurt in my case.

Also, fwiw, the current GasGas bikes have the 2019 chassis. Their only issue with this shock is the plastics needing a small cutaway due to the reservoir angle.
erik_94COBRA
4/12/2022 8:13am
I have a SuperTrax installed on my 2017 Husky TC250. Previously had it on a 2019 KTM 450. No issues on fitment that I can tell.

Post a reply to: WP Supertrax compatibility

The Latest