WP Xact Pro fork setup/opinions

Hey Vitards. Looking for some thoughts/opinions on issues I'm having with my cone valves after their first service.
They are on a 2019 TC125. When I ordered them my supplier suggested running less oil (380cc vs. 440cc) as they had found them to be very harsh.
Forks felt great, massive improvement over the AER forks.
I ride mostly sand in Ireland, but recently started hitting ramps. I was able to find a good setting with clickers and preload for the ramp but for their first service I decided to try 440cc oil just to improve bottoming resistance.
Now after trying them on mx track they still didnt feel harsh, actually very comfortable and perfect in corners, bumps etc. BUT landing off jumps they were super hard, loud thumps and also pushing the forks through the triple clamps!
I also tried a session on the ramp. Very comfortable on landing, even when coming up short once. But what I did notice was the bike wanted to put the front end high a lot.

Sorry for the long article, but just looking for some thoughts on what the issue could be here. Too much oil? Something missed by the mechanic when rebuilding?
My supplier is thinking I may need heavier springs now.

P.S. there is still about 1 inch of travel left in the forks.
|
AJ565
11/6/2019 6:07am
On my cone valves the first go around the oil level was set to 390cc and it was great for moto. Obviously between the first and second service I got faster and told them I was blowing through the stroke more due to being faster and asked if they thought a revalve was in order. Powerband told me no that increasing the oil to 400cc and using the same clicker settings would be all that was needed. He was right, that 10cc's of extra oil made all the difference. Maybe 440cc's is way to much oil.
aees
11/6/2019 1:23pm
20nm up, and 12 down on the forks will help some. But I have the same issue, running 400+, oil and the forks starts to move in the clamp a lot easier.

380-385 I use all the stroke, but never any metal to metal feeling, always plush bottoming.

405-420 I get the hydraulic stop between 10-25mm (depending on oil level) from bottom, unless I really over jump and flat land vars (we are talking what would on a oem fork be a wrist killer landing).

So I don't know why WP has gone up so much on the oil level, besides it becomes more plush on big braking bumps as you can charge harder into it.
11/7/2019 11:27pm
Thanks for the replies guys. Even reading back through my post going from 380cc to 440 sounds ridiculous.
Ive told my guy to go to 400cc which shouldnt be far away. I can always add/take away myself from there.
Yea I think I will go 20nm on the top clamp as a bit of a fail safe.
Im taking the bike to Cali with me in January and wont get to ride it until then so I really want the suspension perfect. Would hate to lose riding time by having to send the suspension away while Im out there.
Thanks again for the input.

The Shop

11/8/2019 8:22am
Have you been adjusting clickers and preload as well?
Before or after the service?
Before servicing I played around with clickers and preload to find good settings at each track and a setting that works for the ramp. All written down.
After the service I made sure I was at the previous settings for the track i was at.
I did add preload once I noticed the harshness, loud thumps etc in case it was bottoming. But found little to no difference. Possibly due to too much oil causing the harshness, if that is the issue.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/8/2019 8:41am
Have you been adjusting clickers and preload as well?
Before or after the service? Before servicing I played around with clickers and preload to find good settings at each track and a setting that works...
Before or after the service?
Before servicing I played around with clickers and preload to find good settings at each track and a setting that works for the ramp. All written down.
After the service I made sure I was at the previous settings for the track i was at.
I did add preload once I noticed the harshness, loud thumps etc in case it was bottoming. But found little to no difference. Possibly due to too much oil causing the harshness, if that is the issue.
I guess I was just wondering if you change your clickers to try and fix the problem before you suspect the oil height being wrong. Sometimes after service they will add preload which can also cause harshness.
11/8/2019 12:49pm
I guess I was just wondering if you change your clickers to try and fix the problem before you suspect the oil height being wrong. Sometimes...
I guess I was just wondering if you change your clickers to try and fix the problem before you suspect the oil height being wrong. Sometimes after service they will add preload which can also cause harshness.
I hadn't thought of that, would've been worth a try but I just stuck to the settings from before.
I only had 1 weekend home to test them as I'm working in London until xmas to fund the Cali trip.
Had to jump the gun and leave them back as I had no other chance.
The good thing is I will have plenty of time in cali to play with settings and oil height if necessary.
So long as nothing is majorly wrong I will be happy.
I've just got too much time to think and ask questions right now! haha!

Post a reply to: WP Xact Pro fork setup/opinions

The Latest