WP Suspension, which route to go?

Reekers
I’m really torn on what to go with on my 2020 ktm250sxf and 450sxf for suspension. It’s that time of the year when I send my stuff out. Here’s a little background to help on advice: Pro rider, Iowa, I will be doing atleast 5 pro nationals. A lot of local stuff too. I don’t hate the stock stuff(I have the right spring rate) but i do want the best and not held back by a lesser setup. I have had cone valves, and kyb air a kit. It really wasn’t impressive over stock and especially for what it cost. Only issues I have with stock is the upper half of stroke roughness(braking bumps mainly) and just traction in the corners. I can’t seem to find settings that help both of those without sacrificing other areas. Do I just try a revalve? Spring conversion? Thank you for any advice and for wasting your time helping me out lol.
|
Tuna
1/2/2021 4:16am
Reekers wrote:
I’m really torn on what to go with on my 2020 ktm250sxf and 450sxf for suspension. It’s that time of the year when I send my...
I’m really torn on what to go with on my 2020 ktm250sxf and 450sxf for suspension. It’s that time of the year when I send my stuff out. Here’s a little background to help on advice: Pro rider, Iowa, I will be doing atleast 5 pro nationals. A lot of local stuff too. I don’t hate the stock stuff(I have the right spring rate) but i do want the best and not held back by a lesser setup. I have had cone valves, and kyb air a kit. It really wasn’t impressive over stock and especially for what it cost. Only issues I have with stock is the upper half of stroke roughness(braking bumps mainly) and just traction in the corners. I can’t seem to find settings that help both of those without sacrificing other areas. Do I just try a revalve? Spring conversion? Thank you for any advice and for wasting your time helping me out lol.
How much money do you have to burn?
I’m going straight to an MX Tech Lucky Kit, too many issues with air already for me. How many guys are running revalved stock Xact for nationals?
Call Corey at Protune. People really seem to like him, that’s who is setting me up.
I’m sure people are going to tell you to try Enzo as well.
Factor E
1/2/2021 4:22am
Mark at REP/AEO murrieta CA-former ktm factory guy
aees
1/2/2021 4:45am
Reekers wrote:
I’m really torn on what to go with on my 2020 ktm250sxf and 450sxf for suspension. It’s that time of the year when I send my...
I would first test the 2021 sxf 450 fork that has specifically addressed the issues you talk about.

My second goto would be spring cartridges from KYB or above mentioned.
Tuna
1/2/2021 6:15am
Reekers wrote:
aees wrote:
I would first test the 2021 sxf 450 fork that has specifically addressed the issues you talk about. My second goto would be spring cartridges from...
I would first test the 2021 sxf 450 fork that has specifically addressed the issues you talk about.

My second goto would be spring cartridges from KYB or above mentioned.
The stock set up still has not tackled the issues he mentioned. It’s way more tuneable and a revalve improves it quite a bit. It’s still harsh on slap down landings and still does net get front traction like a spring fork.

The Shop

Layton
1/2/2021 6:36am
Go with the Lucky’s.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
1/2/2021 2:13pm
Reekers wrote:
I would also say Lucky’s and they should be very familiar with conditions around you I think they are in illinois
Tuna
1/2/2021 2:36pm
Reekers wrote:
soggy wrote:
I would also say Lucky’s and they should be very familiar with conditions around you I think they are in illinois
They are and Protune is in Ohio, he sets up a lot of Luckies.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/2/2021 7:40pm
At the very least I’d talk with REP/AEO & Enzo.
Tuna
1/3/2021 4:07am
jeffoff wrote:
Anyone tried the WP cartridge kit?
The single sided kit?
My friend tried it and was not very impressed. Still felt like an air fork.
aees
1/3/2021 4:18am
jeffoff wrote:
Anyone tried the WP cartridge kit?
Tried it, did not like it. Kit is very heavy, think it was 2lbs heavier than a dual spring setup. Weight was noticeable, front end heavy.
jeffoff
1/3/2021 4:27am
Ok, good to know.
Did not came across any reviews yet...
Now they have complete cartridge kit for the xplor forks, these have my attention.
For my aer, love the kayaba cartridge kit i had installed...
rp213
1/4/2021 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2021 7:03pm
I just installed Lucky gen 2 version last week mainly offroad , some cahuilla creek days here an there but mainly desert. Bike is 2017 Ktm 300xcw , 370 hours, I should have looked into Mx tech 369 hours ago.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
1/5/2021 7:24am
Lainier has some sick looking cartridges as well but a bit pricier
ben5020
1/6/2021 9:17am
Kyb inserts for the win with me, my guy just ordered me a set this am to ditch another set of air crap, this set will be going on my 21 gasgas ex250f I’m going to try woods with. The harshness is gone no more hands hurting and feeling shock like jolts to my hands and fingers, bottoming resistance is unreal and just very comfy all around.
Custom axis suspension tony Roth (484) 225-56fourzero
Give him a call
YZed250
1/6/2021 3:29pm
Reekers wrote:
I'd try as many different KTMs and find one that gives you the feeling you are looking for.

Being a pro-national level rider, that points toward a-kit or cone valve and you say you've tried it, but was it setup for you and was it in good condition?

Speaking from personal experience, I bought a used bike with kit suspension and was SO stoked to be back on newer updated stock suspension after that experience, so I'm also very cautious with anything with coatings and billet lugs. But that kit suspension was never setup for me and had tons of hours on it.

As others have said, a reputable tuner is your best bet: someone like Enzo, MX-tech or REP. They are building stuff for the 140-180lb pro guys all day long. My only word of warning is that sometimes their setups can be a bit too far over on the supercross side of the spectrum, but they should be able to get you very close.
YZed250
1/6/2021 3:31pm
They can also give you the pros and cons of the revalve versus kit versus full replacement fork and shock so best to get on the phone with them.
erik_94COBRA
1/10/2021 7:26am
Reekers wrote:
Spring forks will give the traction in the corners you want.

Correct damping for your speed and use will give the control/comfort you want everywhere else.

KYB spring inserts for the forks and a revalved shock seem like the best bang for the buck. Lots of tuners do them now. I’ve had good luck with Enzo on my bikes.

Post a reply to: WP Suspension, which route to go?

The Latest