WP Rear shock service

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2021 12:59 PM

Looking to service my shock for the first time on my own. I had it done about 40 or so hours ago by a local shop but would like to save some coin and do it myself. Just questioning on what should be replaced while I am in there. Are the parts in the box all I should replace along with the bumper? Should I go with WP parts or SKF seals? I have used SKF many times in my forks and have always been impressed. Photo

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

5/29/2021 3:04 PM

Absolutely replace the piston band and o-ring. I think you can only get the entire piston from the fiche but SDI sells the o-ring and band separately.

|

5/30/2021 3:38 AM

Skf seal head, mx tech piston band, ktech bladder kit and 21 valving stack.

|

5/30/2021 6:46 PM

Rotaholic wrote:

Skf seal head, mx tech piston band, ktech bladder kit and 21 valving stack.

What does the 21 valving stack do for the performance? What’s the difficulty on the installation of it? Never messed with a shock.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

5/30/2021 6:59 PM

It is just a revised setting that should be an upgrade, but it may not suit your weight, speed, spring rate. There are some really good videos on youtube to rebuild these shocks and they're super easy to work on.

I think there are only 3 shims on the comp stack that are needed to update the settings. Here are the build sheets.

2019 WP Shock
https://www.ktmshop.se/bike-manuals/Federbein_18187S09_-_de-en.pdf

2021 WP Shock
https://www.ktmshop.se/bike-manuals/SL_18187U09_a_de-en.pdf

|

5/30/2021 7:32 PM

The biggest pain in servicing that shock is re gassing it

|

5/31/2021 9:49 AM

Stock piston reservoir is a pita for a home garage technician to properly bleed and recharge. Bladder setup is much easier which is why many folks replace the piston setup with a bladder on first rebuild.

|

Powerband in every gear !

5/31/2021 2:44 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Stock piston reservoir is a pita for a home garage technician to properly bleed and recharge. Bladder setup is much easier ...more

EXZACTLY... )

|

5/31/2021 9:04 PM

yea pretty sure you would know thus info @rickysims since your the CEO of ktm?

|

6/1/2021 7:02 AM

Austin_Rankin wrote:

yea pretty sure you would know thus info @rickysims since your the CEO of ktm?

Jesus Christ dude you're that bothered by a joke?

|

6/1/2021 7:09 AM

FGR01 wrote:

Stock piston reservoir is a pita for a home garage technician to properly bleed and recharge. Bladder setup is much easier ...more

I've been looking into the bladder kits. Any word on how they do for the shock performance? I've seen some failures with bladder setups which makes it hard to go with.

|

6/1/2021 7:37 AM

FGR01 wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

I've been looking into the bladder kits. Any word on how they do for the shock performance? I've seen some failures with ...more

Many people say the shock feels a tad more supple with the bladder. I've been running the Race Tech bladder kit about 30 hrs with no probs. Haven't heard of any probs with others.

|

6/1/2021 12:26 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

I've been looking into the bladder kits. Any word on how they do for the shock performance? I've seen some failures with ...more

I would recommend a high end bladder kit. I had a shock body get destroyed shortly after a no name bladder was installed by my tuner at the time. The last bladder I installed was a wp one for my trax. Very high end and came highly recommended by Evan at solid performance

|

6/14/2021 10:08 AM

Okay guys, got everything apart, inspected, and cleaned. Have all my parts to go back together, but am struggling on how to remove and replace number 18 on the drawing, Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

|

6/14/2021 10:57 AM

If you are referring to the shaft guide bushing, it's a pressfit into the seal head. It's recommended that you have the proper bushing driver to remove and install the new one. I've seen people use a socket to do this but it's a little sketchy.

|

6/14/2021 11:05 AM

DynoDan22 wrote:

If you are referring to the shaft guide bushing, it's a pressfit into the seal head. It's recommended that you have the proper ...more

Yup that is what I am referring too, I tried a socket, but hard to find the correct size, also having some trouble getting the seal on the bottom of the seal head off (No. 20)

|

6/14/2021 11:28 AM

Usually it's easier to just buy a complete replacement seal head that is already loaded with the bushing and seals.

|

6/14/2021 12:38 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Usually it's easier to just buy a complete replacement seal head that is already loaded with the bushing and seals.

I am starting to learn that as I go...

|

6/14/2021 7:44 PM

SKF seal head for the win

|

6/14/2021 8:24 PM

Is there a difference between a 2016 and 2018 KTM SX shock? My bike is a 16 KTM 125SX which received the new chassis and motor that the 2015.5 250 FE utilized.

|