Vortex on a Ktm 450 question

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2018 9:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2018 9:06 AM

Currently been running the X10 Vortex on my 18' KTM 450 fe. Running one of the "best dyno" maps (there are several) and this map makes way more mid-range than the Tokyo Mods re-maps. Actually more power everywhere and especially got the off idle "snap" I wanted without ruining that great progressive nature.

My question is the compared to the Tokyo Mod maps the Vortex on start-up makes the bike run extremely cold blooded and easily dies. Once warm the idle is normal and won't die and runs perfect.

Why is the Vortex making it cold blooded compared to the stock ECU re-map?

Should I reset the TPS or change the fueling on the Vortex? All lo-mid-hi fuel clickers are set at the middle or 5.

Its really do big deal and just takes more time on warm-up but curious.

Thanks!

|

9/27/2018 9:09 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

Currently been running the X10 Vortex on my 18' KTM 450 fe. Running one of the "best dyno" maps (there are several) and this map makes way more mid-range than the Tokyo Mods re-maps. Actually more power everywhere and especially got the off idle "snap" I wanted without ruining that great progressive nature.

My question is the compared to the Tokyo Mod maps the Vortex on start-up makes the bike run extremely cold blooded and easily dies. Once warm the idle is normal and won't die and runs perfect.

Should I reset the TPS or change the fueling on the Vortex? All lo-mid-hi fuel clickers are set at the middle or 5.

Thanks!

Did you call tokyo mods?

|

9/27/2018 9:53 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

Thanks!

mxb2 wrote:

Did you call tokyo mods?

Thanks but no, but I see they do carry them and would know the particulars.

The Vortex did not originally come from Toyko Mods. Bought it used and I believe he got it from AOMC programmed for a 18 450 (not FE).

I'm going to send it off to Twisted soon because I want a oxygenated fueling map too. The idea was to buy it and then send it off for mapping but I decided to try and low and behold I was IMPRESSED with the power other than the cold-blooded issue at warm-up. The stock ECU didn't do that. No big deal just takes longer to warm up and doesn't act lean of anything like popping downhill with no throttle.

|

9/27/2018 11:39 AM

blaze 57 wrote:

Thanks!

mxb2 wrote:

Did you call tokyo mods?

blaze 57 wrote:

Thanks but no, but I see they do carry them and would know the particulars.

The Vortex did not originally come from Toyko Mods. Bought it used and I believe he got it from AOMC programmed for a 18 450 (not FE).

I'm going to send it off to Twisted soon because I want a oxygenated fueling map too. The idea was to buy it and then send it off for mapping but I decided to try and low and behold I was IMPRESSED with the power other than the cold-blooded issue at warm-up. The stock ECU didn't do that. No big deal just takes longer to warm up and doesn't act lean of anything like popping downhill with no throttle.

Yea tokyo mods, twisted have good info. Call them,they can help you.

|

9/27/2018 1:49 PM

Did you set closed & open throttle position on the vortex?? Press starter & hold kill button for 3 seconds.
Then hold throttle wfo with kill button pressed for 3. this sets open & closed voltages to vortex.. calibrates it with TPS.
The cooler it gets mine seems to on the first start anyway , a bit more finicky to start.

|

9/27/2018 2:02 PM

mxracer515 wrote:

Did you set closed & open throttle position on the vortex?? Press starter & hold kill button for 3 seconds.
Then hold throttle wfo with kill button pressed for 3. this sets open & closed voltages to vortex.. calibrates it with TPS.
The cooler it gets mine seems to on the first start anyway , a bit more finicky to start.

Yes, the guy I got it from did this for me when we first threw it on at the track. My bike was already warm because I had been riding most of the day with my old ECU so the idle was normal.

It starts VERY easy just takes longer to warm up before it returns to normal idle. Temp 70's, Bike makes great power! No complaints there and really no need to re-map it other than for race fuel.

Its so much more torque I'm going back to my original stock (higher) gearing.

|

9/27/2018 4:13 PM

mxracer515 wrote:

blaze 57 wrote:

Yes, the guy I got it from did this for me when we first threw it on at the track. My bike was already warm because I had been riding most of the day with my old ECU so the idle was normal.

It starts VERY easy just takes longer to warm up before it returns to normal idle. Temp 70's, Bike makes great power! No complaints there and really no need to re-map it other than for race fuel.

The Twisted Maps are very good!

Ask about a map with, "Less engine braking" see if he can put it on the dial for you somewhere.

I was at Mammoth with other maps from Twisted, came into the pits and Jamie had me try this, "less engine braking" map, it was wild to feel the difference in how to freed up the bike off throttle. Changed the way my suspension worked and made the bike feel less, "tense" as you roll off throttle and in a braking bumps.

|

9/27/2018 6:12 PM

mxracer515 wrote:

blaze 57 wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

The Twisted Maps are very good!

Ask about a map with, "Less engine braking" see if he can put it on the dial for you somewhere.

I was at Mammoth with other maps from Twisted, came into the pits and Jamie had me try this, "less engine braking" map, it was wild to feel the difference in how to freed up the bike off throttle. Changed the way my suspension worked and made the bike feel less, "tense" as you roll off throttle and in a braking bumps.

Awesome thanks! I'm going to send it there. I'm always going one gear higher to prevent that engine to get my suspension/bike less tense like you said.

|