Very difficult question about water pump

z71will
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2019 6:58am
So I have a 1984 cr80 that is very close to being finished with the rebuild. I’m currently installing the water pump assembly then will be putting the new clutch in and the engine cover. While looking at the diagram and parts, I finally realized how strange this water pump assembly is and when I installed it exactly like the diagram it just doesn’t seem right at all. If you look there’s the bearing sitting inside the engine case, then I put another bearing on top that’s sitting in some cup? Then a cup with four metal balls and a gear? The second bearing just slops up and down with no real intention and everything else leading up to the gear. Also I notice a hole in the engine case right above it which I believe all connects it to the atac system in the cylinder? But I have a pro circuit pipe with the atac deleted. Would I need to modify the water pump assembly and cylinder in any way because of this? Sorry for the confusing post I’ve just never seen anything like this and I’m very confused. I want to delete the entire atac system on my bike. What do I need to do in order to do this and how should I have my water pump?

|
Layton
2/3/2019 4:12pm
Isn’t that actually the governor you are showing?
z71will
2/3/2019 5:10pm
The two pics are parts of the water pump and the last 3 are showing the hole and the cylinder
Paw Paw 271
2/3/2019 7:11pm
Layton wrote:
Isn’t that actually the governor you are showing?
I see the same thing.

Paw Paw
z71will
2/3/2019 11:36pm
After looking more at the parts diagram you’re right. I’ve never seen a governor before, I assumed it was part of the water pump since it’s all connected on the water pump shaft. What does the governor do exactly? Limit too speed? Is it connected in any way to the atac system? Is there a rod supposed to connect it to the cylinder in any way (as seen with the hole on the crankcase)?

The Shop

z71will
2/3/2019 11:41pm
Look at the exhaust manifold diagram. It all seems to connect with it. Sorry if my questions are vague or sound dumb, this is all new stuff to me. All the engines I’ve rebuilt have never had a governor or an atac system! I know it’s beneficial to delete the atac system but what about the governor? Any insight is appreciated.
WEAL
2/4/2019 5:21am
Why should it be good to delete the ATAC system? It makes the engine more userfriendly, should give more torque down low without costing any power in the upper revs. The governor "steers" the ATAC system. By chosing different springs and/or balls you could play around how the system performs.
If you leave everything out of the system you will still need the shaft and pinion that drives the waterpump. Lock the power valve in the open position and try the bike but expect to use the clutch a lot more.
z71will
2/4/2019 6:57am
The atac system is terrible and has lots of issues and very high maintenance. That’s why exhaust companies make pipes that delete the system. The bike actually runs better without the atac system vs with it.

Post a reply to: Very difficult question about water pump

The Latest