Verify hours on KTM 450SX-F?

HackMan162
Is there a way, or tool that can verify the hours on a KTM 450? For example, Yamaha can be done via the new wifi app, Suzuki can be done with the service LED. Any ideas on the KTM? The bike I am interested in has an hour meter, but not sure 100% I trust that...
|
3/10/2019 7:34pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Is there a way, or tool that can verify the hours on a KTM 450? For example, Yamaha can be done via the new wifi app...
Is there a way, or tool that can verify the hours on a KTM 450? For example, Yamaha can be done via the new wifi app, Suzuki can be done with the service LED. Any ideas on the KTM? The bike I am interested in has an hour meter, but not sure 100% I trust that...
What year is it? The newer ones come stock with an hour meter.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/10/2019 7:36pm
Yeah I think the KTM dealer can check the ecu. But if they bike had an Aftermarket ecu the numbers will be off.
WEAL
3/11/2019 1:56am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 1:57am
The ECU will tell you everything. It lets you know how much part- or full throttle the bike has seen and the day and hour when the bike was ridden. So if there is a long gap of several weeks or months between riding time you could be quite sure that a different ECU was used. Afaik from model 2016 upwards
Alec138
3/11/2019 5:55am
WEAL wrote:
The ECU will tell you everything. It lets you know how much part- or full throttle the bike has seen and the day and hour when...
The ECU will tell you everything. It lets you know how much part- or full throttle the bike has seen and the day and hour when the bike was ridden. So if there is a long gap of several weeks or months between riding time you could be quite sure that a different ECU was used. Afaik from model 2016 upwards
Not always true. If there is a gap it could be from sitting.

The Shop

RGaede
3/11/2019 9:17am
Also, any ktm dealer can read, but also reset the ecu hours, and the evu only records in 6 min intervals, so if fully run the bike for 5 minutes, then shut it off, it won't record any time in that scenario.
HackMan162
3/11/2019 9:21am
The bike's hour meter shows very low hours. The wear on it would likely agree with what the hour meter shows. But anyone can buy an hour meter from KTM and replace it.

So, as WEAL says, the ECU should tell all. Is that a KTM service department tool only? Or is there there other ways?

Thanks!
captmoto
3/11/2019 9:35am
Alec138 wrote:
Exactly. I was hurt for 3 months and only ran my bike for 15 minutes the whole time. If the OP doesn't want to trust the hour meter on the bike he needs to buy a new bike.
MX915
3/11/2019 9:41am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 9:44am
What year is it? 17+ come from the factory with a hardwired hour meter.

Earlier models, yeah you have to read the ECU
HackMan162
3/11/2019 10:53am
Alec138 wrote:
captmoto wrote:
Exactly. I was hurt for 3 months and only ran my bike for 15 minutes the whole time. If the OP doesn't want to trust the...
Exactly. I was hurt for 3 months and only ran my bike for 15 minutes the whole time. If the OP doesn't want to trust the hour meter on the bike he needs to buy a new bike.
I haven't seen it in person yet (tomorrow), but I really have no reason not to believe it, other than that some people suck... Smile

The bike looks immaculate, is priced very good, and truly has very little wear.
WEAL
3/11/2019 12:19pm
Check bolt heads, especially on the engine. If never been opened they will have only slight marks from tightening in the factory. Check the footrests and rear brake pedal for wear marks. If allowed, pull the front fork legs out and see the amount of discoloration/abrasion on the aluminium tubes where they sit in the yokes - this will give an indication how much and how hard the bike has worked. Check the frame coating behind the leg covers - if coating/paint is worn away - the bike ran in sandy/dusty conditions for quite a while. The upper shock bearing will develop a little bit of play way before the other bearings - but not within the first 10 to 20 hours. Look at the front and rear wheel spindles and nuts, they will tell you how often they were touched. Look at the oil drain/oil filter screws. Check the brake discs and the pads for wear. Look at the screws holding seat and tank spoilers. They only need to come off when valves are adjusted or the frame under the tank is to be cleaned, or an electrical problem occurs - or the ECU has to be worked on ;-).
On all my KTMs the rear upper shock body is slightly rubbing on the inner side of the air hose between filter and injector, the amount/absence of wear on the hose is a solid indicator of the hours this bike was ridden.
The front and rear chain guide will tell as well how many hours they were in use.
Generally - if you like what you see and the vendor seems trustworthy and not telling a lot of shit, allows you enough time to inspect the bike thoroughly and your gut feeling is "yeah, I want it!" - then go for it. The bikes are really good, I did 165 hours on my 16 SXF 450 without any engine problem.
HackMan162
3/12/2019 6:27am
This is great info Weal. Thanks. I have ridden YZ/RM my whole life, and they have been pretty bulletproof. Haven't really thought much about the pumpkin's until recently, and really until I came across this one. I know they are amazing bikes, just haven't heard a lot about whether they are bullet proof or not. I know the whole MXA deal...sprocket bolts and spokes...

Post a reply to: Verify hours on KTM 450SX-F?

The Latest