Valve check Husky FX350

Huskyboy95
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has pointers on just doing a valve check on this bike, the engine was a complete rebuild at 100 hours, I now have 35 hours on it. And want to check the valves myself. Can I turn over the engine to find top dead center by putting it in gear and turning the rear wheel, is that OK? And the cam marks are lined up I have two red dots that match alignment. The feeler gauges I have don’t correspond to my manual. According to what I can figure out on this bike I can get a 7000 feeler gauge in the exhaust cam lobe’s and a 4000 on the intake, my feeler gauges don’t correspond to the specs for millimeters it shows .10 to .15 mm on the intake, and .13 to .18 mm on the exhaust. Am I in the ballpark? And what are the best feeler gauges to get for this bike to check the valves because they said I have is almost impossible to use they are too long, please make a recommendation. My old Yamaha had alignment marks on the crankshaft too, to guarantee you were at top dead center. With a pencil method in the plug will really work? I may be rambling on here but I just want to be sure of what I’m doing so I do it correctly.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
Husky boy
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
6/18/2021 9:23am
Your bike should have the crank TDC locating bolt on the lower right side of the cases, under the water pump. It has a thick washer on it. When the washer is removed and the crank is truly at TDC, the bolt will go deep enough in the hole to engage a hole in the crank and hold it at TDC. Make sure you remember to pull the bolt and put the washer back on when done and don't hit the starter button when it is in.
willbilly
6/18/2021 4:56pm
I use Motion Pro feeler gauges. Makes the job much easier and they are marked in both inches and mm.
Huskyboy95
6/19/2021 7:23am
Thanks for the input guys,
Can someone confirm that 4000 clearance on the intake and 7000 clearance on the exhaust. Is the correct clearance for this 350. I’m sure it’s the same for the Ktm motors. I’m going to look into the motion pro feeler gauges, I think that would make the job much easier
And I wonder, how many hours have a lot of you guys been able to go without doing a valve adjust on your new bike,?
willbilly
6/19/2021 4:37pm
I don’t have clearances for the 350 but you could easily get 200+ hrs if the bike doesn’t ingest dirt.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Valve check Husky FX350

The Latest