Tusk clutch plates

TW85
3/24/2019 10:05am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 6:20pm
Does anyone have experience using a tusk clutch kit? I use some Tusk stuff and have been happy with it but for clutches I’d normally use OEM parts. In this situation it’s for my gf’s YZ125 and while she rides decent she’s far from super fast so I was thinking of going with the Tusk parts as it’s about half price.

Thanks guys.
|
Paw Paw 271
3/24/2019 10:24am
They did not hold up well for me.

Paw Paw
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
3/24/2019 10:53am
I recommend against using them. Used them.on a 4 stroke. Had problems with the clutch slipping, and the friction material wears off in hairs when the clutch slips. Better off just buying decent parts. It's a 125...she's gonna slip that clutch
omalley
3/24/2019 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2019 8:25pm
Have them in my 02 CR250. Not a fan. If I use the clutch much out of turns, etc, it gets a ton of play in it (far more than a decent set of plates). I cheaped out after blowing so much money on the build, should’ve gone OE or similar.
I’ve used a lot of other Tusk stuff with no issues.
3/24/2019 10:22pm
I'm using the Tusk clutch set in my 06 YZ250. It's okay for the money.The clutch fads pretty fast and gets a lot of play. OEM has worked the best. If your on a budget, it will get you by. However, their are better options than Tusk clutches.

The Shop

lcgordon711
3/25/2019 6:03am
I have them in my rm250 and they seem fine to me.
FahQ
3/25/2019 6:49am
There are standard and competition plates
I have had no issues with the competition kits.
I would really like to know if the people who have had bad results are using the standard kits?
cwtoyota
3/25/2019 8:36am
TW85 wrote:
Does anyone have experience using a tusk clutch kit? I use some Tusk stuff and have been happy with it but for clutches I’d normally use...
Does anyone have experience using a tusk clutch kit? I use some Tusk stuff and have been happy with it but for clutches I’d normally use OEM parts. In this situation it’s for my gf’s YZ125 and while she rides decent she’s far from super fast so I was thinking of going with the Tusk parts as it’s about half price.

Thanks guys.
Friends who are a lot less abusive have run through Tusk clutches in a couple of rides, like the other guys, I wouldn't suggest it.

You can get the OEM clutch as a kit for a real good price. In my experience with YZ125's and 250's nothing holds up better for the money. This one comes with the springs, fibers, steels and a gasket.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/yamaha-oe-clutch-kit-p
GarrettL
3/25/2019 2:18pm
I had a tusk clutch in my 06 CRF450 and it was terrible...faded like crazy.
Paw Paw 271
3/25/2019 2:23pm
Mine were on my 2005 CRF450r. They did not last a week. Never again. I normally use only OEM plates, but due to parts delay I used these and learned a lesson. They are junk!!!!!!

Paw Paw
3/27/2019 3:32am
FahQ wrote:
There are standard and competition plates I have had no issues with the competition kits. I would really like to know if the people who have...
I would really like to know if the people who have had bad results are using the standard kits?
I feel like most used the standard clutch.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
3/27/2019 6:07pm
FahQ wrote:
There are standard and competition plates I have had no issues with the competition kits. I would really like to know if the people who have...
I feel like most used the standard clutch.

Nope...used the comp kit with HD springs...roached it pretty quick...
JKMX61
4/8/2019 12:37pm
Comp kit with HD springs for me on my YZ125, I am pretty hard on clutches, have about 5 hours on it and no issues. More clutch fade than OEM imo, but for a full clutch kit for 50 bucks I cant complain. Already has lasted half as long as I get out of OEM, and at less than half the price I am happy. If you don't mind changing them a little more often than OEM I think they are a decent option.
JBecker 72
4/8/2019 3:19pm
Granted this guy finished 38th at Budds Creek last summer in the 450 class. But I would probably look elsewhere for a clutch.

2stmark
4/8/2019 7:38pm
Never used Tusk but only ones id use are DP & OEM
4/9/2019 4:18am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 12:49pm
FahQ wrote:
Our experience with the Tusk standard plate kit: Extremely poor quality. Definitely not comparable to OEM plates. An inferior product not worthy of your money. Rocky Mtn must be sub-contracting the manufacturing of these plates to the absolute cheapest Chinese supplier they can find, however if you call them and inquire about who did the actual manufacturing of the plates, Rocky has no comment.

However, Tusk claims their competition kit uses a more heat resistant Aramid fiber material instead of the cork compound in the standard kit. We have been reluctant to try the competition kit based on the previous experience with the standard kit. We suspect that the competition fiber plates might actually be standard plates with a little Aramid infused into the compound, but maybe not.

For those individuals who have actual experience with the Aramid competition kits, particularly in comparison to the standard kits, please continue to chime in.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
4/9/2019 5:46pm
40 wrote:
Our experience with the Tusk [b]standard [/b]plate kit: Extremely poor quality. Definitely not comparable to OEM plates. An inferior product not worthy of your money. Rocky...
Our experience with the Tusk standard plate kit: Extremely poor quality. Definitely not comparable to OEM plates. An inferior product not worthy of your money. Rocky Mtn must be sub-contracting the manufacturing of these plates to the absolute cheapest Chinese supplier they can find, however if you call them and inquire about who did the actual manufacturing of the plates, Rocky has no comment.

However, Tusk claims their competition kit uses a more heat resistant Aramid fiber material instead of the cork compound in the standard kit. We have been reluctant to try the competition kit based on the previous experience with the standard kit. We suspect that the competition fiber plates might actually be standard plates with a little Aramid infused into the compound, but maybe not.

For those individuals who have actual experience with the Aramid competition kits, particularly in comparison to the standard kits, please continue to chime in.
If you use that kit in a 4 stroke, prepare to do a rebuild from the crank up if it slips at all. The friction material wears off the plates in hairs. I blew up a RM-Z250 engine...completely smoked it from the crank up...seized cams and everything. Oil screens looked like a hairball your long haired cat hacked up...starved the top end for oil. No other explanation than the Tusk clutch w/HD springs. There is simply nothing else in the engine that could produce the fibers I found. Dunno where the pics are, but if I find them I'll post them up. In the meantime, spend the $$ on a decent clutch....far cheaper than the alternative
4/9/2019 6:20pm
If you use that kit in a 4 stroke, prepare to do a rebuild from the crank up if it slips at all. The friction material...
If you use that kit in a 4 stroke, prepare to do a rebuild from the crank up if it slips at all. The friction material wears off the plates in hairs. I blew up a RM-Z250 engine...completely smoked it from the crank up...seized cams and everything. Oil screens looked like a hairball your long haired cat hacked up...starved the top end for oil. No other explanation than the Tusk clutch w/HD springs. There is simply nothing else in the engine that could produce the fibers I found. Dunno where the pics are, but if I find them I'll post them up. In the meantime, spend the $$ on a decent clutch....far cheaper than the alternative
"If you use that kit, prepare".....

Which kit are you referring to? The standard? The competition? Both?
john CHURILLA
4/10/2019 3:10pm
TW85 wrote:
Does anyone have experience using a tusk clutch kit? I use some Tusk stuff and have been happy with it but for clutches I’d normally use...

Thanks guys.
dont waste your money get OEM or better
BAMX
4/10/2019 6:05pm
I've never had an issue with KG Clutches. They make a lot of the OE clutches.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
4/11/2019 2:46pm
40 wrote:
"If you use that kit, prepare".....

Which kit are you referring to? The standard? The competition? Both?
I was using their best kit with the HD springs.

Post a reply to: Tusk clutch plates

The Latest