Triple clamps bolts coming loose

Andy7
Fantasy
1191st
Hi guys, does anybody have a similar issue? Today I was at the track and the top triple clamp bolts were completely loose, and they didn´t fall because they were hiting the front number plate. Bike is a YZ 250. When I was breaking it in I had a similar issue, but the bolts were only slighty loose. I always use a torque wrench and tighten them to the factory spec. Also, I apply some grease on them, should I loctite them? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
|
kb228
9/1/2018 8:15pm
You shouldnt need to put anything on them. Also you should be checking everything before every ride anyways. If you must, blue loctite will keep them in place.
murph783
9/2/2018 1:07pm
I’ve had the same issue. Brake caliper mounting bolts as well. Seems to be with any bolts under 20 ft/lbs. I’m using a snap on torque wrench I have the calibration checked regularly on for what it’s worth. I’ve just started putting blue loctite on them, problem solved.
Andy7
Fantasy
1191st
9/3/2018 7:19am
Thanks guys!
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/3/2018 7:46am
Use some brake clean and get all the grease out of the threads, those should be dry.

Also, go back and forth between both bolts and torque them a few times. As you torque one, the clamp deflects and unloads the other one. You'll see that even though you're tightening to the same torque, the bolt will turn more when you go back to it, until the load is even between the bolts. I usually go back and forth 2-3 times

The Shop

Andy7
Fantasy
1191st
9/3/2018 7:58am
Jbulz wrote:
Use some brake clean and get all the grease out of the threads, those should be dry. Also, go back and forth between both bolts and...
Use some brake clean and get all the grease out of the threads, those should be dry.

Also, go back and forth between both bolts and torque them a few times. As you torque one, the clamp deflects and unloads the other one. You'll see that even though you're tightening to the same torque, the bolt will turn more when you go back to it, until the load is even between the bolts. I usually go back and forth 2-3 times
Thank you! Yes I always do check them 2 times alternatively, maybe I need to tighten them 3 times each. Didn't know they should be dry, will do it right this time.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/3/2018 9:21am
kb228 wrote:
You shouldnt need to put anything on them. Also you should be checking everything before every ride anyways. If you must, blue loctite will keep them...
You shouldnt need to put anything on them. Also you should be checking everything before every ride anyways. If you must, blue loctite will keep them in place.
You should not put blue loctite in them, ever.

Clean and torque to spec. Helps to have a calibrated torque wrench. Buying a China made torque wrench and expecting it to be in spec is like trusting a fart after a weekend drinking and eating in cabo.
kb228
9/3/2018 5:06pm
kb228 wrote:
You shouldnt need to put anything on them. Also you should be checking everything before every ride anyways. If you must, blue loctite will keep them...
imoto34 wrote:
You should not put blue loctite in them, ever. Clean and torque to spec. Helps to have a calibrated torque wrench. Buying a China made torque...
You should not put blue loctite in them, ever.

Clean and torque to spec. Helps to have a calibrated torque wrench. Buying a China made torque wrench and expecting it to be in spec is like trusting a fart after a weekend drinking and eating in cabo.
I use a harbor freight torque wrench and ive literally never had these bolts come out ever on any bike.
BR8ES
9/3/2018 5:40pm
The HF torque wrench has had many good reviews.
Paw Paw 271
9/4/2018 1:10pm
Jbulz wrote:
Use some brake clean and get all the grease out of the threads, those should be dry. Also, go back and forth between both bolts and...

X2

Paw Paw
Monk
9/4/2018 8:43pm
I would buy new bolts... They do stretch, and the thread do round...
Andy7
Fantasy
1191st
9/5/2018 7:03am
Monk wrote:
I would buy new bolts... They do stretch, and the thread do round...
Yes they do, but the bike has 4.2 hours from brand new. I guess that I should be fine by assembling them without any grease

Post a reply to: Triple clamps bolts coming loose

The Latest