Trimming weight

8/16/2020 6:21pm
I know this has been discussed in the past but wondering if there are any new tips or tricks for getting weight off a bike besides titanium and carbon fiber. Any changeable parts you know of that are lighter components?
|
8/16/2020 7:11pm
It seems like exhaust seems to be where you can lose a decent amount of weight and gain performance. Tires too?
crc245
8/16/2020 7:11pm
Ti and carbon fiber add up quick, best to think small for best gains. Unsprung weight like choice of tires/tubes, everything that hangs off the swingarm, and what "mods" you add. There's a reason KTM's come stock with 220mm rear rotors and no brake guards...

For "mods" it's best to steer clear of heavy wheelsets, HD tubes, aluminum full coverage skid plates, etc. Aftermarket exhausts and Ti shock springs are the easiest and cheapest (price per pound) way to cut weight, then big ticket items like axles/swingarm pivot; at a significant cost. There are lighter batteries and seat foams available as well that can shed weight from a high point on the bike.

Keep it simple and think about all the little things. Aluminum bolts on shrouds are even lighter than Ti. Do you need that aluminum throttle tube or would a plastic/composite Motion Pro Titan tube suffice? Two rim locks or one? Even washing your bike with the seat on can add weight over time...

https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/ten-things-about-motorcycle-mass/
Grenader26
8/16/2020 7:19pm
I cut out soda and candy. Made a huge improvement
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1476th
8/16/2020 9:51pm
Mount up a set of Hoosier Racing Tires, Not only is it an inexpensive way to shave weight. The weight you are sheding is both un-sprung and rotating which is your most important weight, Not to mention the fact that they are just plain bad ass performance tires.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
8/16/2020 10:10pm
Tires, wheel set, tubes, exhaust.

I run less than a full tank of gas if I’m doing 20 minute Motos.

Light weight seat foam.

Firepower light battery.

Ti pegs

No graphics
8/17/2020 11:50am
Tires, wheel set, tubes, exhaust. I run less than a full tank of gas if I’m doing 20 minute Motos. Light weight seat foam. Firepower light...
Tires, wheel set, tubes, exhaust.

I run less than a full tank of gas if I’m doing 20 minute Motos.

Light weight seat foam.

Firepower light battery.

Ti pegs

No graphics
Ya I was thinking about getting a set of plastics and running no graphics. Any idea if there is any difference in weights with plastic kits? I thought at one time I heard maybe Acerbis were the lightest?
Bruce372
8/17/2020 6:43pm
Bolt on aftermarket parts add weight quite often

Post a reply to: Trimming weight

The Latest