Transmission parts coating or polishing

8/30/2022 6:41pm
I'm wondering if having my transmission parts DLC coated, REM Isotropic Finished or Micro Polishing is worth it? Anyone done this? What did you notice or feel? Bad idea for some parts?

My transmission on my 2017 YZ450F is worn out and I've got the thing tore apart. I'm waiting on parts to come in. The shift forks are cracked, bent and pads worn out. The shift fork guide bars are bent too. The slider gears are damaged, dog and splines worn out. The free wheeling gears where the dog mate are all rounded out. The drum is worn out too.

I was going to ship it all out to have it coated before I assemble it. Is it worth it?
|
Wiscomx
9/1/2022 3:03pm
I have used New England gear and polishing with good results, did notice a little smoother and more consistent shifting, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Luxon MX
9/1/2022 3:51pm
crc245 wrote:
https://www.wpctreatment.com/

Would send them new/like new parts only...Expensive, but a very good way to go!
This is really the proper method. REM polishing can help somewhat by removing burrs and other imperfections, but so will WPC and it allows for oil to better stick to the surfaces of everything, which is really what will increase performance.

The Shop

9/1/2022 4:22pm
Luxon MX wrote:
This is really the proper method. REM polishing can help somewhat by removing burrs and other imperfections, but so will WPC and it allows for oil...
This is really the proper method. REM polishing can help somewhat by removing burrs and other imperfections, but so will WPC and it allows for oil to better stick to the surfaces of everything, which is really what will increase performance.
I've been reading up on the WPC coating and it seems like the hot ticket. I found out the 2020 CRF450R comes stock with the 2nd and 3rd gears WPC coated.
swatdoc
9/12/2022 5:49pm
I'm rebuilding my 1976 CR125 and I bought all new NOS gears, shafts, dogs for it. Had them all WPC treated. that treatment is amazing ! Pro Circuit sends all their transmission stuff there.

Post a reply to: Transmission parts coating or polishing

The Latest

The Latest