Torque wrench recommendations

Related:
Create New Tag

8/26/2018 4:11 PM

Looking to snag one for working on the bike. Needs some recommendations

|

8/26/2018 4:50 PM

I love my torque wrenches that I own and work with daily, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone. Most used tool that is important to be accurate with. I own the full series in the 3 sizes but I would recommend the 3/8" to anyone looking for a single torque wrench.
3/8" Torque Wrench

|

8/26/2018 4:55 PM

I use the icon series from harbor freight. If you have the money the digital one from snap on is awesome. If you go the harbor freight route, avoid their cheaper series of torque wrenches at all costs. Its hit and miss with them working out of the box. I went through 4 or 5 before i got one that had a click

|

8/26/2018 5:37 PM

I did some research about a year ago and read many reviews. This was the one that fit my needs including price ($106). 4-99 lbs. The clincher was Amazon offered a free $70 credit if I got their credit card.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM601-4-Digital-ft-lbs-Notification/dp/B0081AQDIY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535329982&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+torque+wrench

Photo

|

8/26/2018 5:52 PM

garagedog wrote:

I did some research about a year ago and read many reviews. This was the one that fit my needs including price ($106). 4-99 ...more

I have the same digital one for a few years. I like it, great tool. But if I did it again I would get a nice anolog one because I like the feel of the click instead of the beep that the digital one gives me.

|

8/26/2018 7:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 12:16 AM

Don’t know your budget range but I have a snapon digital 3/8” drive 5-100 ft-lb and a snapon analog click style 1/4” one for in-lbs... love both of them... the digital one is nice if you’re doing anything with a torque to yield style bolts because it has a built in torque angle gauge ( only thing I will say against the digital one is it did take me a minute to get used to the beep instead of the nice click you get with a standard torque wrench but I love it now)... if you’re looking for one torque wrench that you will mainly be using definitely go with a 3/8 drive one... the range is very usable on most motorcycle/powersport engines...

|

8/27/2018 7:35 AM

If you have the money, I highly recommend Sturtevant Richmont torque tooling. They are a major player in Factory settings and have awesome equipment. In fact, Snap On recently purchased Sturtevant Richmont specifically for their technologies and products related to torque tooling.

I also recommend only using impact sockets because they are manufactured to be concentric about the axis wheres standard sockets for ratchets are not.

|

8/27/2018 8:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 8:05 AM

Snap-On 3/8 drive 5-80 ft/lbs is what I have and would recommend for a motorcycle.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

8/27/2018 8:06 AM

|

8/27/2018 2:19 PM

I read some reviews on the best/most accurate/affordable torque wrenches and found this Tekton on Amazon. I bought it and love it! Only $32.80 w00t

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24330-8-Inch-ft-lb-13-6-108-5/dp/B00FMPKAD0/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1535404676&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=tekton+torque+wrench&psc=1

|

8/27/2018 6:37 PM

Tohnichi

|

IG @jaredkeller96

8/27/2018 10:29 PM

This is the one I have now. I tested it against a $10 Harbor freight and the tested out the same at a couple different settings. I don't know if that speaks well for the HF or bad about the Craftsman.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

8/28/2018 4:28 AM

If you ate getting just one, get a 3/8". Keep in mind that must are accurate to about 20 % of scale.

|

8/28/2018 4:35 AM

I have a Sonic, that I love. Especially for the price. Think I spent $160.

|

8/29/2018 9:30 PM

I am a Snap On dealer and I sell ALOT of 3/8 digital wrench’s. They are more accurate then the click style and hold calibration longer. Most people do not realize that with click style wrench’s you do get a bump in toque when the wrench clicks which can result in a large variance in torque, especially on what we do for our bikes. (10-20 ft lbs) 5-100 ft lbs offers a wide range for doing triple clamp bolts to axle nuts etc. Also the digital wrench’s do Ft lbs, In lbs, Nm, KG, and angle. KTM uses a lot of Nm, Japanese uses mostly Ft lbs and In lbs, and angle is very common when torquing cylinder heads. While I understand people want to save money on tools, having a good quality torque wrench is important. The materials the manufacturers use these days vary from alloy’s, steel, and policarbinate plastics, having accuracy’s is a must.

|

8/30/2018 5:12 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

I am a Snap On dealer and I sell ALOT of 3/8 digital wrench’s. They are more accurate then the click style and hold ...more

How often do you recommend re-calibrating your torque wrenches? I was looking at Snap on but swinging $500 vs $160 (like I did) is hard to justify

|

8/30/2018 7:45 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

I am a Snap On dealer and I sell ALOT of 3/8 digital wrench’s. They are more accurate then the click style and hold ...more

No offense, but you are a seller, not a constant user.

I say a decent one is fine for most everyone at VitalMX, instead of making payments on Sanp On brand.

|

8/30/2018 8:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2018 8:09 AM

Here's the most used torque wrenches i own. There's more, but these do dirt bikes suspension, chassis, and motors. 0 to 150 in lb. All internal fork fasteners. 5 ro 75 ft lb. Shock shaft nut, chassis fasteners and some motor fasteners. 0 to 200 in lb. Motor fasterners; 6mm x 1.0 bolts. They're all Snap On.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

8/30/2018 8:02 AM

Photo
|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

8/30/2018 8:28 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

LumpDog841 wrote:

How often do you recommend re-calibrating your torque wrenches? I was looking at Snap on but swinging $500 vs $160 (like I ...more

I've been using my digital snapon 3/8" for just over two years in the shop atmosphere. Another tech went and bought the same one and I checked my torque against his with the same bolt. Identical. So I can testify as long as the wrench isn't dropped I can get at least 2 years using it constantly everyday that it still doesn't need a recalibration.
GoYamaha

|

8/30/2018 9:12 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

LumpDog841 wrote:

How often do you recommend re-calibrating your torque wrenches? I was looking at Snap on but swinging $500 vs $160 (like I ...more

On the digital wrench’s as stated by another member you are good for several years unless it is dropped badly. Believe it or not they are very tough and can withstand some impact, but a big drop id have the calibration checked. Ona. Click style, depending on how much it’s used having it done every 1-2 years is good. The spring inside weakens over time.

Also most people do not know this, but on click style wrench’s most people back the wrench down all the way after use. You should be backing it to the lowest torque spec the wrench will go. The spring does need some pressure while sitting.

|

8/30/2018 9:46 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

KDXGarage wrote:

No offense, but you are a seller, not a constant user.

I say a decent one is fine for most everyone at VitalMX, instead of ...more

The post was about recommendation of wrench’s. Just giving the OP info.

I also do use my own digital wrench 1-2 times a week on my own bike so I would consider myself a user as well.

|

9/4/2018 5:47 PM

Craftsman are ok.

|

9/4/2018 7:04 PM

Precision Instruments have served me well.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.