Torque wrench - Quinn?

deadlo
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2019 6:52am
Trying to buy a torque wrench for my fc450. Not looking to break the bank on a snap-on. I would like digital. Anyone have this Quinn found at harbor freight? The reviews are great on it. Or does anyone have other recommendations?

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-digital-torque-wrench-64915.h…
|
kb228
8/21/2019 6:52am
I just picked one up a couple weeks ago. Havent had the chance to use it yet but initial impressions are good

The ICON 3/8 torque wrench is what ive been using for the last year or so. Its been great.

Avoid their $20 ones at all costs. Pure junk. They dont last.
Pirate421
8/21/2019 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 5:26pm
I’ve read good things about tekton wrenches, they get a ton of good reviews and are pretty cheap. Thinking about getting a couple in a month or so. I think they are $40 or so a piece.

You may already know this but Just remember that torque wrenches are the most accurate in the middle of their range. I wish I knew this earlier in life! So if you want to do a 10 lb ft bolt don’t get a wrench with a 10-80lb range maybe get one big one and one lower range wrench. I’ve tested these on our torque checkers at work and the lower and upper ranges on even snap on wrenches are off a bit.
charlie68
8/22/2019 5:19am
Pirate421 wrote:
I’ve read good things about tekton wrenches, they get a ton of good reviews and are pretty cheap. Thinking about getting a couple in a month...
I’ve read good things about tekton wrenches, they get a ton of good reviews and are pretty cheap. Thinking about getting a couple in a month or so. I think they are $40 or so a piece.

You may already know this but Just remember that torque wrenches are the most accurate in the middle of their range. I wish I knew this earlier in life! So if you want to do a 10 lb ft bolt don’t get a wrench with a 10-80lb range maybe get one big one and one lower range wrench. I’ve tested these on our torque checkers at work and the lower and upper ranges on even snap on wrenches are off a bit.
Is this true even with digital torque wrenches? This is a question Ive had for a while, of course the Snap On dude ( at least mine ) claims 100% accurate all thru the range.
8/22/2019 5:34am
Good Shit Ain't Cheap Cheap Shit Ain't Good

Check out CDI Torque they build the wrenches for Snap On, you can get a 1/4" drive for under $100 and that will service your $9000 motorcycle perfectly.

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
8/22/2019 5:35am
charlie68 wrote:
Is this true even with digital torque wrenches? This is a question Ive had for a while, of course the Snap On dude ( at least...
Is this true even with digital torque wrenches? This is a question Ive had for a while, of course the Snap On dude ( at least mine ) claims 100% accurate all thru the range.
No such thing as 100% accuracy in any measuring tool. Your snap on guy is either ignorant or a liar.

That said, I'd bet the snap on is more accurate than the harbor freight wrench.
m21racing
8/22/2019 7:37am
I have used my snap on torque wrenches for 17yrs. I have several for many applications. I spent the money while I was in school, and out. I will say this. They work very well. If I were in the market today, I'd look to a used unit, and get it re-calibrated. I've seen decent priced wrenches out there in the 100.00 range. As stated earlier, there are quality off brands as well. But, if i have an issue, I can find Mr Snap On pretty easily.
Bruce372
8/22/2019 12:39pm
526 wrote:
Good Shit Ain't Cheap Cheap Shit Ain't Good Check out CDI Torque they build the wrenches for Snap On, you can get a 1/4" drive for...
Good Shit Ain't Cheap Cheap Shit Ain't Good

Check out CDI Torque they build the wrenches for Snap On, you can get a 1/4" drive for under $100 and that will service your $9000 motorcycle perfectly.
this guy gets it.... somethings arent worth skimping on. The CDI is good stuff, i got mine new off ebay and each torque wrench comes with a signed and dated calibration certificate.
752dad
8/22/2019 5:34pm
Get one of these while you are at it. A must for sprocket bolts and most 2 stroke cylinder base fasteners.

KC
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2255th
8/22/2019 10:35pm
I am a Snap On guy, so I’m a tad biased but here is the facts. Our digital torque wrenches are accurate to -1/+1 %. They self calibrate every time you turn them on. If they fall out of calibration they will read an error code which is VERY rare. If you drop it from a significant height is usually when it happens, or in a coolant or oil bucket and it submerged. Trust me I’ve seen it all. LoL The best thing about them is you have 6 torque wrenches in one. We use ft lbs, in lbs, and nM mostly on our bike, as well as most manufactures going to angle with a lot of engine components. It may sound expensive, but in reality you are killing multiple birds with one stone. Also consider it an investment. You will have it forever and you will have the best.

Snap On owns CDI, however they are not the same wrench. They do not use the same ratchet mechanism as our snap on wrenches and are much harder to service if you need it done. The Snap On components are proprietary and are not the same. To my knowledge i don’t believe you can buy a CDI digital wrench either. Electronic is the way of the future, as manufacturers are using more exotic metals and composites it has never been more important to property torque fasteners. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me and I can help where I can!

Snap On Dan
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2255th
8/22/2019 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2019 10:38pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I’ve read good things about tekton wrenches, they get a ton of good reviews and are pretty cheap. Thinking about getting a couple in a month...

This is true with a traditional clicker style torque wrench. Snap on Digital is -1%/+1% through the entire range. That is a fact
Pirate421
8/23/2019 1:53am
I am a Snap On guy, so I’m a tad biased but here is the facts. Our digital torque wrenches are accurate to -1/+1 %. They...
I am a Snap On guy, so I’m a tad biased but here is the facts. Our digital torque wrenches are accurate to -1/+1 %. They self calibrate every time you turn them on. If they fall out of calibration they will read an error code which is VERY rare. If you drop it from a significant height is usually when it happens, or in a coolant or oil bucket and it submerged. Trust me I’ve seen it all. LoL The best thing about them is you have 6 torque wrenches in one. We use ft lbs, in lbs, and nM mostly on our bike, as well as most manufactures going to angle with a lot of engine components. It may sound expensive, but in reality you are killing multiple birds with one stone. Also consider it an investment. You will have it forever and you will have the best.

Snap On owns CDI, however they are not the same wrench. They do not use the same ratchet mechanism as our snap on wrenches and are much harder to service if you need it done. The Snap On components are proprietary and are not the same. To my knowledge i don’t believe you can buy a CDI digital wrench either. Electronic is the way of the future, as manufacturers are using more exotic metals and composites it has never been more important to property torque fasteners. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me and I can help where I can!

Snap On Dan
Thanks for the info, guess I’ll be taking a look at a digital wrench!
deadlo
8/23/2019 6:36am
I think the Quinn is +/- 3%. It’s digital and does all the in-lbs, ft-lbs, n-m etc. I can get it for $135ish with coupon. The snap on would be what like $700? I just don’t know if I can justify that. I’m not breaking down the motor or anything. The only reason I wanted a torque wrench was to get triple clamps torqued properly and maybe a few other bolts here and there.
kb228
8/23/2019 6:52am
deadlo wrote:
I think the Quinn is +/- 3%. It’s digital and does all the in-lbs, ft-lbs, n-m etc. I can get it for $135ish with coupon. The...
I think the Quinn is +/- 3%. It’s digital and does all the in-lbs, ft-lbs, n-m etc. I can get it for $135ish with coupon. The snap on would be what like $700? I just don’t know if I can justify that. I’m not breaking down the motor or anything. The only reason I wanted a torque wrench was to get triple clamps torqued properly and maybe a few other bolts here and there.
At 12.5ft-lbs, the Quinn will get you between 12.125 and 12.875.

The 3% gets bad when you need something like 100+ on a car

Post a reply to: Torque wrench - Quinn?

The Latest