Tool sets?

7/4/2019 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 10:55pm
Looking for a new tool set/mini roller chest combo.

Last time I bought a set it was a standard craftsman mechanics tool set with the top/bottom chest.

I’m now in the market for another similar set. The same craftsman set is non existent. Can’t buy it. They advertise it but it’s unavailable in store, to ship, etc.

The next best thing I’ve found is the 432 piece husky set st Home Depot with their top/bottom cab. About $700. I’d have to add some t-wrenches, pliers, etc.

Are there any sets I should be looking at? Is there anything else out there worth checking out?

Set is for dirtbikes, cars, etc.

Thanks!
|
kb228
7/4/2019 3:12pm
For what youre doing, stay far away from harbor freight “kits”.

The way i gathered my tools is by getting a lower 44” harbor freight toolbox. I got a big husky socket kit for xmas one year. Then after that go to harbor freight for wrench sets and ratchets, impact sockets etc... i slowly got the basic tools down and then started collecting the specialty tools from tusk and motion pro.

Id do it that way again rather than getting a kit with 1000 tools and not using 1/2 of it. All in all i think my tools total value is like $2000. Cheap and does the job.

Id recommend getting good screwdrivers though. Dont skimp on them as the cheap ones dont fit right and will round philips heads.
Paul_Pitzonka
7/4/2019 3:46pm
kb228 wrote:
For what youre doing, stay far away from harbor freight “kits”. The way i gathered my tools is by getting a lower 44” harbor freight toolbox...
For what youre doing, stay far away from harbor freight “kits”.

The way i gathered my tools is by getting a lower 44” harbor freight toolbox. I got a big husky socket kit for xmas one year. Then after that go to harbor freight for wrench sets and ratchets, impact sockets etc... i slowly got the basic tools down and then started collecting the specialty tools from tusk and motion pro.

Id do it that way again rather than getting a kit with 1000 tools and not using 1/2 of it. All in all i think my tools total value is like $2000. Cheap and does the job.

Id recommend getting good screwdrivers though. Dont skimp on them as the cheap ones dont fit right and will round philips heads.
I definitely agree... stay away from kits as you will not use majority of the tools they’re sold with... get a good set or two of standard and metric wrenches, a descent set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets, extensions, and ratchets... a set of T handles both Allen’s, and socket style... a dead blow, a good ballpeen hammer... a couple variations of pliers along with some vice grips , and a good pick set... an impact Driver, set of nut runners, good screwdriver set and if you’re going to work on bikes a JIS screwdriver set (most Japanese bikes use a screw called a JIS which is often mistaken as a Phillips )... I’m sure I missed something in there, but that should be a descent base... oh yes, also a good torque wrench...
Keith72
7/4/2019 4:08pm
Vessel makes some really nice JIS screwdrivers. Check out the Impacta on Amazon.
ben5020
7/5/2019 6:44am
Get the husky roller cabinet base and a few stackable tops and fill with what you need, buying the kits is a a complete waste because chances are you’ll never use 2/3 of the crap that comes in them. I’ll try to get pics later if what I did with the husky roller chest

The Shop

dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
7/5/2019 7:41am
My vote is Snap On, but I’m a little biased 😂😂 But seriously invest in good tools. You will have them for a lifetime and it will make your life and bike work much easier. Here is some pics of my box for my van and a box we put together for Villopoto.

kb228
7/5/2019 11:50am
My vote is Snap On, but I’m a little biased 😂😂 But seriously invest in good tools. You will have them for a lifetime and it...
My vote is Snap On, but I’m a little biased 😂😂 But seriously invest in good tools. You will have them for a lifetime and it will make your life and bike work much easier. Here is some pics of my box for my van and a box we put together for Villopoto.

If you can swing the cash, definitely go snap on. Nothing compares to them - until you look at the price lol.

Nice box. I have that same screwdriver kit. Love it!
7/5/2019 7:49pm
I have little kids and I remember what my brothers and I did to my dads snap on set. By the time we were teenagers there may have been a couple left.

My dad just started buying craftsman kits. I went down to Harbor Freight and just pieces together my own set. Bought a roller and top chest. Shallow and deep in SAE and metric for the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 drives. Wrenches, Allen wrenches, etc.

Just need to find a high dollar torque wrench now. It’s the only hand tool I’ll spend a bunch on. The hunt goes on now. Thanks for all the replies!
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
7/5/2019 9:16pm
I have little kids and I remember what my brothers and I did to my dads snap on set. By the time we were teenagers there...
I have little kids and I remember what my brothers and I did to my dads snap on set. By the time we were teenagers there may have been a couple left.

My dad just started buying craftsman kits. I went down to Harbor Freight and just pieces together my own set. Bought a roller and top chest. Shallow and deep in SAE and metric for the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/8 drives. Wrenches, Allen wrenches, etc.

Just need to find a high dollar torque wrench now. It’s the only hand tool I’ll spend a bunch on. The hunt goes on now. Thanks for all the replies!
If you don’t have a Snap-On dealer that services you and you are interested in a torque wrench just let me know 👍🏻

Post a reply to: Tool sets?

The Latest