Tom Morgan vs Tokyomods for engine mods

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2022 8:40am
So, I’m doing my mid-life crisis bike builds, two 2007 CRF 250r’s. One engine is built, working on the second. Tom is 4-5 months out, Tokyomods is faster. I had Tom do the porting, case boring on the first engine. I sent both carbs to Tokyomods.

Looking for experience on Tokyomods for porting, case boring and building the cylinder head. I had knee replacement in April, so I’m not riding soon, but I’d like to start putting the bikes together.
|
Moto520
9/2/2022 8:55pm
Cool! TZR motor sports is good. Otherwise you’ll be fine with Tokyo mods or Tom Morgan racing
motox11
9/3/2022 3:54am
I have no dog in this fight but I do know a LOT of Honda pro guys were using Tokyomods in the carb Honda days with good results

The Shop

Electro21
Fantasy
79th
9/7/2022 9:33pm
Moto520 wrote:
Cool! TZR motor sports is good. Otherwise you’ll be fine with Tokyo mods or Tom Morgan racing
Is TZR Tom Zont Racing? I hadn’t heard of them before. When I first searched, I think I typed TRZ and it came up as a place in Germany. Lol
Joko
Fantasy
190th
9/9/2022 5:59pm
Check out Rach Tech/Skose Racing
snackfedbear
9/20/2022 9:44pm
I bought a complete refurbished carburetor from Tokyomods for my 08 CRF450 build after my air/fuel mixture screw broke off into the body of my stocker. The bike just got completely rebuilt with oem parts and a small porting job done by the great Terry Varner. (… it took a while) Once I finally got the bike home I could never seem to get the carb tuned just right from the jump. Mind you, they list these as:

Tokyomods rebuilt modified carburetor. This carb is ready to install on your bike or ATV. You get the same results as sending your carb in for our carb mod without the downtime. This carb also includes Yellow translucent vent hoses and the Tokyomods Carb Accessory kit.

Terry installed the carb for me but it had a weird idle that reved high off of cutting the throttle and then dropped down super low until it almost died. I had to turn the idle way up to compensate and keep the bike running but it make the idle higher in that split second from closed throttle even worse. It made the bike quite annoying when going into corners as it would stay high in the idle until you slipped the clutch in most cases. I’m not a carb guy and I’m not a tuner so I contacted tokyomods about it via email. Told them I was fairly local to them and would like to bring it in so they can help me get it tuned right. Went back and forth explaining and they basically told me if I brought the bike in I would have to pay the 125 for the hour of labor for the diagnosis, and then whatever money would be for a carb tune if it needed it… let alone money for parts or if it needed anything else. I spent over 800 on this carb directly from their online store, IMO the least they could do is help me make sure it’s tuned or “modded” right as that’s how the website indicates it comes. The interaction left a bad taste in my mouth from the company and I won’t spend my money with tokyomods ever again.

Now, I can’t attest to their actual engine work and sorry for the huge rant, I just really can’t stand the money grabbing companies that don’t look out for the regular guys in this industry. The whole Varner/Tokyomods build for me was sub-par and left me wishing I’d have given a smaller local guy a chance, but I wanted that old school “Alessi Honda”. And paid for a basic ass build that didn’t even run all that well.

I don’t have experience with the other option, but I’d say send it to Tom Morgan if you can wait. Seems like most dudes on here are pretty amped with his product.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
9/21/2022 8:40am
Thanks for the reply. I actually just sent it out to Tokyomods. I’ll get to try both companies out. I’m building two of these and Tom did the first engine.

Post a reply to: Tom Morgan vs Tokyomods for engine mods

The Latest