To buy cone valves or not

Sander
Well I have always kinda dreamed of "kit" forks and now i have good offer for used cone valves(little over 100h I think) for my 18 fc350. If i go for Cones should I buy shock too? And I am still considering KYB/öhlins inserts too(cones about same price).
Well whats your thoughs about it and how has your experience with kit suspension and inserts been?
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/8/2018 1:13pm
Well, Kyle Chisholm posted his bike for sale and he was asked why the bike didn’t have a kit suspension. His answer was the stock suspension is so good now that a kit isn’t necessary.

If you’ve got the money to blow on in then sure go for it!! But remember a top 10-20 pro said it isn’t necessary for him. So what does that say for us?
Lynch
7/8/2018 2:03pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, Kyle Chisholm posted his bike for sale and he was asked why the bike didn’t have a kit suspension. His answer was the stock suspension...
Well, Kyle Chisholm posted his bike for sale and he was asked why the bike didn’t have a kit suspension. His answer was the stock suspension is so good now that a kit isn’t necessary.

If you’ve got the money to blow on in then sure go for it!! But remember a top 10-20 pro said it isn’t necessary for him. So what does that say for us?
What brand was he selling? Huge difference between stock WP AER and KYB forks.
7/8/2018 2:39pm
Lynch wrote:
Showa. 17 Honda 450
Naanak
7/8/2018 6:47pm
If you have the money they’re worth it IMO. If it wasn’t a ktm or husky I’d say no.

The Shop

MotoMatt_928
7/9/2018 10:33am
There are quite a few reputable companies out there that have a lot of R&D into the OEM forks and shocks. I feel they are just as good as the "A-kit" companies, and at a significant cost savings to us consumers. I know for a fact that the "cone valve" forks are not always using cone valves. A lot of the fast guys use a different mid-speed valve setup over a cone valve setup, depending on the tracks/circuit.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/9/2018 11:54am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Well, Kyle Chisholm posted his bike for sale and he was asked why the bike didn’t have a kit suspension. His answer was the stock suspension...

Lynch wrote:
Big difference between stock Honda forks and stock KTM forks. If I had a Honda or Yamaha I wouldn’t buy kit suspension.

I love cone valves on my KTMs. I have 2 friends with KYB conversions and they love them also. The only advantage of non inserts is that you can keep the forks for your next bike.

Enzo and RG3 are doing the KYB conversion for $1500.
Lynch
7/9/2018 12:09pm
Big difference between stock Honda forks and stock KTM forks. If I had a Honda or Yamaha I wouldn’t buy kit suspension. I love cone valves...
Big difference between stock Honda forks and stock KTM forks. If I had a Honda or Yamaha I wouldn’t buy kit suspension.

I love cone valves on my KTMs. I have 2 friends with KYB conversions and they love them also. The only advantage of non inserts is that you can keep the forks for your next bike.

Enzo and RG3 are doing the KYB conversion for $1500.
Exactly, had Öhlins on my KTM and my new Yamaha is still stock after almost 10 hours.
navalseabee
7/9/2018 3:35pm
There are quite a few reputable companies out there that have a lot of R&D into the OEM forks and shocks. I feel they are just...
There are quite a few reputable companies out there that have a lot of R&D into the OEM forks and shocks. I feel they are just as good as the "A-kit" companies, and at a significant cost savings to us consumers. I know for a fact that the "cone valve" forks are not always using cone valves. A lot of the fast guys use a different mid-speed valve setup over a cone valve setup, depending on the tracks/circuit.
I've seen this as well, so if the cone system is removed and a traditional MS valve is used is there still an advantage to these forks? Also you read a bunch of stuff about more maintenance these forks require, im curious to know feedback from CV owners.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/9/2018 9:32pm
There are quite a few reputable companies out there that have a lot of R&D into the OEM forks and shocks. I feel they are just...
I've seen this as well, so if the cone system is removed and a traditional MS valve is used is there still an advantage to these...
I've seen this as well, so if the cone system is removed and a traditional MS valve is used is there still an advantage to these forks? Also you read a bunch of stuff about more maintenance these forks require, im curious to know feedback from CV owners.
The internals are coated so yes there’s still an upside to the forks.

They don’t require any extra maintenance then a regular set. I typically get my suspension serviced every 25-40 hours.
Flipsid33
7/17/2018 11:10am
Dal Soggio Sphere kit is at the top of the market. Coat the oem outers and you'll have world class suspension that costs less than a set of CV forks.

CV forks need tuning. Some tuners do change out the MS to a Showa MS.

Post a reply to: To buy cone valves or not

The Latest